SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Pre-washing and do I iron? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pre-washing and do I iron?
dannygirl
dannygirl
Member since 3/8/11
Send Message

Date: 12/11/12 2:57 PM

I learned to sew many, many years ago when my mom taught me. However, I haven't done it since then. Now I want to try making some things for my daughters.

Do I really need to pre-wash all fabrics?

The pattern I want to use is for a little jumper. The back and front pattern piece for the jumper has you lay the edge of the piece on the fold of the material. Do I iron the material first to make a crisp edge?

And should I zig zag the edges first if I pre-wash? It's corduroy if that makes a difference.

-- Edited on 12/11/12 3:03 PM --

Brine
star
Brine  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/21/04
Send Message

Date: 12/11/12 3:49 PM

I would pre-wash the fabric and toss it in the dryer before cutting. (I imagine that you will be treating the finished jumper the same way). Zigzagging or serging the edge before you wash the fabric to prevent it from raveling is a good idea. Before cutting I would simply fold the fabric, but not press the fold unless you are absolutely sure that the crease line could be removed; you don't want it to show in the finished jumper.

------
Brine

dannygirl
dannygirl
Member since 3/8/11
Send Message

In reply to Brine <<

Date: 12/11/12 4:41 PM

Thank you!

One more question...

I'm also trying to make the same pattern out of an old bridesmaid's dress. I have to cut 2 pieces of fabric from the same pattern piece (one for the front of the jumper and one for the back). I have enough fabric from the front of the bridesmaid dress skirt to cut one on the fold like the pattern says to, but I don't have enough to cut the second one on the fold. Could I use a piece that has a straight seam and have that same straight seam run up the center of the back of the jumper (use the seam as a fold)?

I hope that made sense.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to dannygirl <<

Date: 12/11/12 4:48 PM

For the back seam, be sure to add the seam allowance when cutting this out.

Simplicity's Simply The Best Sewing Book is a good addition to the sewer's library.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to dannygirl <<

Date: 12/11/12 5:22 PM

Quote: dannygirl
Could I use a piece that has a straight seam and have that same straight seam run up the center of the back of the jumper (use the seam as a fold)?

Maybe. I'd check the grain of the fabric along that seam to be certain that it really is straight, otherwise it might affect the fall of the finished jumper. But if it works out, that is one darned clever solution!

An alternative would be to do as Patti Ann was suggesting--cut two separate pieces and seam them up the back--in which case you will definitely want to make sure you add the seam allowances back in, or the back will be too small. This is actually not an uncommon solution; adding a center back seam can help with a lot of fitting issues.

Good luck!

What pattern are you making? (I am trying to picture something that will work well in both corduroy AND bridesmaid dress fabric! )

------
~Gem in the prairie

TamNearPDX
TamNearPDX
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 12/11/12 5:49 PM

Or you can flip the pattern sheet mimicking the function of the fold

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

In reply to dannygirl <<

Date: 12/11/12 6:33 PM

The only time not to pre-wash fabric, is when you won't be washing the garment. (Dry Clean Only for example - your bridesmaid's dress may fall into this category.)

If the fabric is wrinkly, pressing/ironing it will be necessary before you cut, or the fabric can do strange things, lol. But I agree that you do NOT need to press in the fold - in fact the "fold" can be anywhere, not just the center, as long as it's with the grain. That's how I save fabric sometimes.

dannygirl
dannygirl
Member since 3/8/11
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 12/11/12 6:37 PM

Quote: stirwatersblue
What pattern are you making? (I am trying to picture something that will work well in both corduroy AND bridesmaid dress fabric! )

This is the pattern that I'm using. I'm hoping it'll work ok with the polyster of the bridesmaid dress. It says "lightweight cotton or linen fabric", but I'm hoping it'll work with the bridesmaids dress. I'm trying to repurpose an old maroon one I have from my sister in law's wedding into little Christmas dresses for my girls.

http://oliverands.com/files/free-patterns/Oliver+SPopover.pdf
(I hope it's ok to post that.)
ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

Date: 12/11/12 6:52 PM

You really do want to pre-wash your fabric, because even if you plan to only wash on cold, delicate cycle, and line dry the finished garment; even that first cold cycle wash can slightly shrink the finished garment. (Yes, there's a reason I know this unfortunately.) I treat my fabric the same way I expect to be treating the finished garment; it prevents sad surprises. And you do want to press your washed and dried fabric, too.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

Date: 12/11/12 7:33 PM

Here is a photo of the dress:

Popover Sundress

------
Judy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Pre-washing and do I iron?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Class Details

Online Class
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Class Details

Kwik Sew 3672

photo
by: myeclectic...

Review
Popolok Design Popolok design:LuLu dress

photo
by: KateS

Review
Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

Sew Chic Southern Belle Dress Pattern (ln8503)

More Info
THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King

THE SKIRTS - A CD Book By Kenneth King

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.