SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > A trick for finishing an interfaced facing ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
A trick for finishing an interfaced facing
Easy and beautiful!
dragonzflame
dragonzflame
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 6/9/11
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/12/12 9:45 PM

It can be hard to finish a facing nicely, especially if you don't have a serger/overlocker. It's only one layer, and usually horrible to turn-and-stitch.

Here's a fantastic trick for finishing, which I found here: sew the long edges together, right sides together (if your interfacing's fusible, make sure the glue side is facing out!). Then turn them the right way out, give the seam a little press to get it into the right shape, and press your interfacing to your facing.

It's changed my life.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to dragonzflame <<

Date: 12/12/12 10:16 PM

Love this method. Thank you for the link.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to dragonzflame <<

Date: 12/12/12 10:40 PM

Thank you so much for this tip! I'm also glad you explained it thoroughly in your post, since I was still a bit unsure after viewing at the link. I'm still fairly new to working with woven facings and interfacings and this will definitely look neater/cleaner than the serged edge I used.

If it's not already somewhere in PR's "tips & techniques" section I think this would be a great addition to it!

Sewncooknmom
Sewncooknmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

Date: 12/13/12 0:18 AM

Wow! What a great tip. Thank you for sharing.

strongnow
strongnow  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 2/1/08
Send Message

Date: 12/13/12 10:34 AM

Thank you for this tip. It is a great improvement over any other way I have used.

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 12/13/12 10:40 AM

I have read all three links plus this post and I still do not completely get it..... I get what the outcome should be, I think (which is simply wonderful) but I am still not understand the technique to get there!

------
My Singer crew:
Sergei - Serger 14T968DC (set up as coverstitch)
Stella - Serger Stylist II 14J250 (set up as main overlock)
Quincy - Quantum 9960 (my main SM)
Newest addition: Stevie, my very first Featherweight! (221 Centennial)

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to NottaWadder <<

Date: 12/13/12 11:53 AM

Materialgirl, try this,

Facing a Facing, Threads magazine

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

MartiP
MartiP  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/5/12
Send Message

Date: 12/13/12 12:32 PM

Thanks so much for this tip! Looks so much nicer that serging! That's what I love about sewing; always something new to learn!

------
MartiP

Ruckertt's Law; There is nothing so small that it can't be blown out of proportion.

Bernina 1230 Bernette 007D
Brother CS6000i Brother 2340 CV
New Home L372
Singer 221K (off white)
U.S Blindstitch, Model SL 718/2D
Simplicity SE2
Brother 700II

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to NottaWadder <<

Date: 12/13/12 1:14 PM

I was confused also until coming back and reading Dragonzflame post again (and again). Perhaps I'm wrong but as I understand it instead doing the usual - (i.e. placing the sticky fusible side down to the wrong side of the facing and ironing the two pieces together first), you instead place the un-sticky, non- fusible side against the right side of the fabric (wrong sides out) and stitch along the outside/outer edge of the facing piece (the edge where you would typically serge or edge finish somehow *after* fusing the pieces together).

After stitching along the outer edge, you would then fold the facing/interfacing piece inside out (like if making a pillow and leaving a side open to flip inside out), so that both the right sides of the interfacing and facing fabric are facing out, and the fusible side of the interfacing and wrong side of facing are enclosed inside of the piece. It should now show a finished outer edge that looks like a finished side seam from the outside.

At this point you will still need to place the iron on the facing piece to *fuse* the insides pieces together and then finally attach the raw inner edge to the neckline correctly.

This is the explanation that finally clicked with me and I hope it makes sense (and I also hope I'm understanding it correctly since I have yet to try it!

-- Edited on 12/13/12 1:25 PM --

dragonzflame
dragonzflame
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 6/9/11
Send Message

In reply to hazelnut <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/13/12 4:38 PM

Exactly like that!

You just need to give the seam a gentle press to get it nice and flat after you turn it, before you fuse the pieces together. Just as you would when you turn any seam the right way out.

When I tried it, I couldn't believe how much better it looked than any other method I've ever used, and I think everyone should know about it ;-) The best part is that you don't get any scratchy thread next to you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> A trick for finishing an interfaced facing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Carol's Zoo 1

photo
by: ssssdeb

Review
SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

SewBaby Zippy Bunting Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Booties Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.