SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Self healing cutting mats. ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Self healing cutting mats.
How big to get, where to get?
tg33

tg33
Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 11/11/08
Send Message

Date: 12/13/12 12:31 PM

Hi, I'm considering investing in a rotary cutter and a self healing cutting mat. What is a good size mat for garment sewing? What is the biggest mat you have come across? Can you recommend a website in the UK or Europe to get this in?

Thanks for any help!

------
Reading from Europe

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to tg33 <<

Date: 12/13/12 12:40 PM

I started with a small mat and slipped it in place to cut, then slipped it again and again until I was finished. Regardless of the size you choose, be sure to store it flat and they will warp/distort easily. The can also be hung with a pant/skirt hanger that has clips.

For cutting out garments the smaller cutter works very well getting around neck and arm openings.

Use an acrylic ruler for rotary cutting to help stabilize the fabric and pattern as you are cutting.

Be careful with the cutter. It is basically a rolling razor blade.

Some use a Klutz glove to protect the hand stabilizing the ruler/fabric just in case the cutter slips.

I do not know about UK websites. There will probably be other members of PR who can help with this.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

tg33

tg33
Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 11/11/08
Send Message

Date: 12/13/12 12:43 PM

Thanks for the advice Patti! I had read about cutters in the beginners forum, but advice about dealing with a sharp blade is always a good idea, it's easy to forget!

------
Reading from Europe

Scrappy Gram
Scrappy Gram
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/27/03
Send Message

In reply to tg33 <<

Date: 12/13/12 3:12 PM

I buy mine here. I have a 36" x 48" double sided one on my cutting table.

http://www.cutting-mats.net/self-healing-cutting-mats.html

Deb

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/13/12 9:53 PM

I started with a smaller mat and found it tended to shift my fabric and pattern around too much. My advice would be to think of the most common size piece that you cut out and get one atleast that big to start.

I use two 30x36" mats butted together on my cutting table. That's usually big enough for most of what I cut out. Due to space and storage issues I can't use the one designed to fit my cutting table, hence the two smaller mats.

Debbie

kathleen1304

kathleen1304  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 5/19/05
Send Message

In reply to simplystitches <<

Date: 12/13/12 10:17 PM

I have a huge gateleg cutting table. It's about 72 x 40. I bought a mat to fit and paid what you would expect. Now it is IN THE WAY whenever the table is folded down. The only way to store it is rolled up and it won't even roll into a small roll. Grr! I recently saw little plastic gadgets that snick together small cutting mats into a larger size. Next time I'll try something like that. Just sayin'.

------
Impossible you say? Nothing is impossible when you work for the circus!

Let's make Better Mistakes Tomorrow

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to kathleen1304 <<

Date: 12/13/12 10:39 PM

Sounds like the same table I have from Joann's. That's exactly why I didn't buy the mat. I have to take my table down when I'm not using it.

Debbie

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/13/12 11:33 PM

I have a bunch of different sizes of cutters and mats. Sometimes a larger one is needed, sometimes smaller. I like having a choice.
I definately think you will enjoy a rotary cutter...I use mine all the time.

tg33

tg33
Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 11/11/08
Send Message

In reply to kathleen1304 <<

Date: 12/14/12 5:36 AM

Quote: kathleen1304
I have a huge gateleg cutting table. It's about 72 x 40. I bought a mat to fit and paid what you would expect. Now it is IN THE WAY whenever the table is folded down. The only way to store it is rolled up and it won't even roll into a small roll. Grr! I recently saw little plastic gadgets that snick together small cutting mats into a larger size. Next time I'll try something like that. Just sayin'.

OK, that sounds good, where did you see these gadgets??

There's a lot to think about here, I will have to put on my thinking hat...

------
Reading from Europe

tg33

tg33
Beginner
IRELAND
Member since 11/11/08
Send Message

In reply to Scrappy Gram <<

Date: 12/14/12 5:40 AM

Quote: Scrappy Gram
I buy mine here. I have a 36" x 48" double sided one on my cutting table.

http://www.cutting-mats.net/self-healing-cutting-mats.html

Deb

Thanks for the info. I checked their website, and they don't ship internationally, except for Canada, and only to 50 US states.

------
Reading from Europe

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Self healing cutting mats.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Vogue Patterns 1166

photo
by: dizzle

Review
Christine Jonson Pleat Front Dress

Christine Jonson Pleat Front Dress

Buy Now
Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.