SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > needle size for sewing on binding ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
needle size for sewing on binding
Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 12/14/12 3:33 PM

I am sewing the binding down on my larger quilt using the walking foot on my Bernina 630. I had a size 12 sharp in the machine, but the needle did not sound right. I want to change it to either another of the same or a 14 sharp or topstitching. What do I choose?

Also, I do not remember if the stitch length should be longer than 2.5 or not. Should I use a 3.0?

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 12/14/12 3:58 PM

I think I usually use a 90/14, and these days I usually use Superior titanium-coated topstitching needles (unless I'm using a Schmetz 60 or 70 for fine threads and fabrics).

I use either 40 or 50wt thread, whatever is convenient, to machine sew the binding to the front before flipping it to the back to hand sew down, and a stitch length of 2.5 sounds right. I use 2.0 for piecing and *maybe* as long as 3.0 for quilting.

HTH

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Learn To Sew
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 12/14/12 4:00 PM

Do I need the walking foot or can I just use the number 1 foot?

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 12/14/12 5:25 PM

I would use the walking foot.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 12/15/12 3:07 AM

I'd use the walking foot, it has nice 1/4" markings and it'll prevent the layers from creeping or shifting.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

JanyceR

JanyceR  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

Date: 12/15/12 5:50 AM

The walking foot will definitely make this easier

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Learn To Sew
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 12/15/12 11:30 AM

Last night I got out the topstitching size 14 needles and put them next to my machine. We have famly obligations all weekend, so this might be all I get done for a bit. At least I am ready. I have the walking foot already on the machine. I had sewed half of one side, mitered the corner on the binding and started down the next side. I did not like the sound the machine was making, so I thought I should change the needle, but to what, I was not sure.

The first mitered corner was done and I kept looking at it. I had taken it out of the machine and just looked. Something was not right, as I could not get it to turn. I thought since this is my 2nd quilt and all, maybe I should check myself on it. I had done the miter going the wrong direction, so it was sewn down tight and would not turn. I took it out and redit it and it turns nicely, but that was when I decided to change the needle.

Stitch length is still set at 2.5. I seem to think for my class I took in June we were told to change the length to 3.0, but I will have to check my notes to be sure. The stitches look really small to me at a 2.5.

------
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/15/12 9:07 PM

I use a 2.4 stitch length for bindings. Definitely use your walking foot, and if you've cut your bindings in 2.5 inch strips, and your batting isn't super lofty, use a 3/8th inch seam instead of a 1/4 inch seam. Simply put your needle position all the way to the right and line up your walking foot to the edge of the quilt.

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

Learn To Sew
star
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

In reply to CJ Tinkle <<

Date: 12/16/12 10:39 AM

Why will a smaller stitch length be better than a longer one for sewing down the binding? I cut my bindings 2 1/2 inches wide. Batting is warm and natural.

I have checked and I am making a quarter inch wide stitch. Just not as straight as I would like. This is my beginners class quilt I am finishing up. I already finished and reviewed quilt 2. I did that one first so I could learn to bind on one that was much smaller and easier to work on. The class one is much larger in size.

I will have to open up the back flap on my Unique cabinet to do this binding. So much fabric.

------
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/16/12 4:40 PM

With a 1/4 inch seam on warm and natural, either you binding won't be "stuffed" or you will have a much wider binding on the back, but that's okay! I'm just saying with those dimensions a 3/8th inch seam is a better choice.

I prefer a shorter stitch length to help secure the quilting that was done, if any of it got cut off during the squaring up of the top after it was quilted.

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> needle size for sewing on binding

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Burda 8168

photo
by: Margaret

Review
SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

SewBaby Blankie Buddies Pattern

Buy Now
Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Sleeve & Cuff Variations for Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.