SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Car folk - is this necessary or an upsell? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Car folk - is this necessary or an upsell?
Fuel system cleaning
tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 12/15/12 3:36 PM

My cute little Ford Focus went in to the quick oil change place recently and the guy said I need a $120 fuel system clean. DH (computer guy, not car guy) says it is just an upsell and there is no way I need it. I know for a fact he has done this once as I was with him at the time. And I do wish that if he wants to have opinions and ideas about how I deal with my car, he would do them himself!

Anyhoo.....I haven't a clue. I really don't like dealing with car stuff and always feel I am getting a bit of a runaround and HATE feeling lectured and scolded (don't get me started on dental hygienists...) so I am looking for some second, third and fourth opinions. Legit deal or waste of time and $$ ?

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

lkmbpk
lkmbpk
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 12/28/09
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 12/15/12 3:46 PM

Is he talking about a fuel filter? $120 seems a bit high for that, even with labor. Not a car folk, but DH is and sometimes I get to help.

------
Doo-doo-DOO-doo, Doo-doo-DOO-doo......
You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Internet!

happytobehere
happytobehere
Beginner
Member since 7/31/10
Send Message

Date: 12/15/12 4:04 PM

I've had it done. It should help you to get better mileage.
Don't think it cost quite that much though!

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 12/15/12 4:09 PM

It's the deal where they hook you up to some machine and blow all kinds of black gunk out of the fuel system.

------

andrea.m
andrea.m
Beginner
CANADA
Member since 8/3/03
Send Message

Date: 12/15/12 6:29 PM

Had the misfortune of working at a car dealership service department for 1.5 yrs and never had anyone want or even ask for the fuel injector service.
As you are in BC, I HIGHLY recommend getting your fuel filter changed regularly (whatever your maintenance schedule states) as the gas here is crap.
Upsell? You bet ya.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to andrea.m <<

Date: 12/15/12 6:50 PM

Cruising some car sites it sounds like I can toss a bottle of fuel cleaner gunk in with the gas whenever I get an oil change and that will do the trick. I have a six minute commute with trips to "town" 30 km away several times per month. Not a heavy use car!

------

andrea.m
andrea.m
Beginner
CANADA
Member since 8/3/03
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 12/15/12 7:21 PM

Quote: tourist
Cruising some car sites it sounds like I can toss a bottle of fuel cleaner gunk in with the gas whenever I get an oil change and that will do the trick. I have a six minute commute with trips to "town" 30 km away several times per month. Not a heavy use car!

[QUOTE]

Yup, the bottle of fuel cleaner is fine and a whole lot cheaper.
Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/15/12 8:55 PM

Quote:
I have a six minute commute with trips to "town" 30 km away several times per month. Not a heavy use car!
Which is what your problem is. Long distance driving is the best for cars, because their fuel systems, especially the fuel injectors, get clean because of the consistent running of the engine at one speed. In town, as in your six minute commute, there's a lot of stop and go, which is hard on an engine. Get yourself a bottle of fuel system cleaner at your next gas fill up and save yourself some money.

Edited to add: I don't think it's an "upsell"; might just be a newly graduated tech who isn't aware of simpler methods because he/she has been taught how to fix the problem on his/her end.
-- Edited on 12/15/12 8:57 PM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

TamNearPDX
TamNearPDX
Advanced Beginner
WA USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 12/15/12 11:43 PM

Your owners manual should have h recommendations... I got so tired of all of the upsell stuff we take our vehicles to our mechanic fo oil changes... He never upsells.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 12/16/12 10:51 AM

Miss Fairchild - yes,upsell is probably the wrong word. This guy made a big deal of having done this job (at a quickie, drive-thru oil change place - not a stellar resume, though I am sure he has learned quite a bit) for ten years. I suspect it is the classic "do you want fries with that?" sales training and I can't blame them. They are in business to make money and cleaning my fuel system will not hurt my car, just remove some fabric buying potential.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Car folk - is this necessary or an upsell?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

Simplicity 2909

photo
by: cosmoblue

Review
Self Drafted Pattern 281988-1003

photo
by: SavageCoco

Review
Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Petite Plus 102 Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things A Safe Place Pattern

Favorite Things A Safe Place Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.