SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Boxed Cushions ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Boxed Cushions
Allowing for leg inserts
PChuter
PChuter
Member since 12/16/12
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 7:30 AM

I can find lots of tutorials for boxed cushions but my problem is that I have to allow for the leg uprights at each corner making a 2" inroad into the cushion. Therefore I need to make a boxed cushion with a 2" square cut out of each corner. Trouble is if I cut 2" into the welt there will be nothing left of it on that corner!! Can anyone help please?

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 8:48 AM

Okay.. gotcha I think. I started to ask if it was only two corners or four.. but that doesn't matter really.

I don't know if you kept the old piece to reuse for as a pattern or not. but.. if not.. then the theory is still the same''

You have already cut your main square I take it.. say for instance a 24 by 24.. or is this a dining room chair seat ?
The sit your 24 square piece of the chair to check these measurements.. but you only now have to cut out the part where the legs are.. now as you have already figured out . you can't just cut out the two inches.. or there is nothing left to sew.. but do this .. place your piece on the chair .. then place your welting on . I take it you know how to place that welting.. which is to leave the piping on the main of the fabric.. leaving the seam edges on the edges of the fabric so to speak.. Now at the corners.. fit your welting to where it needs to be.. NOW.. you need to clip a bit on both the welting as well as your main fabirc piece.. clip towards the welting enough to release it . so it will easily make any turns it needs to.. you can clip a bit more later.. but for now .. clip what you def need .. this most probably means clipping the welting and any place it needs to turn.. orners etc. Now .. on your main piece.. wiat till you sew on the wleting. in case you need to resew or readjust. to clip it back.. Pin.. and sew.. check your fit. then clip out the two inch corner on the main piece. Again same as with the welting.. you will need to clip also towards the seam which you sewed... to release the fabric so it will lay well.

After you do both the top and bottom pieces you can then sew all that to the boxing. same theories and practices apply.

You also did not state how thick the cushion was or would be. two .. or five inches.. ? Doesn't matter in theory. but it helps me to understand any problems you may else have ..

Now if you don't understand these instructions.. please let me know. I will not take offense or such.. Sometimes pig is as clear as mud.. And you know in sewing so many things are actually done inside out or backwards etc.. you have to think clearly as you go along.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 8:52 AM

BTW, I took it for granted you know to leave seam allowance. even if you have to clip into your seam allowances .. you must leave a seam allowance where you cut the two inch corner off to add the box for the cushion. I like to cut a generous seam allowance with home dec to adjust for fitting etc.. so for instance if the chair is a 24 by 24 I cut a 26 by 26. I leave at least a good half inch fold on my weltings too. Normally I cut piping /welting to at least three inches..

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 8:59 AM

Sorry. being morning. and being interrupted without enough coffee is not helping either of us.. lol

I wanted to add. that if you find it too hard to sit the fabric on the chair to fit on the welting..you can do that is any flat surface. then carry it over to the chair to check your fit.. before you sew the welting on.. And when you cut out your corner. don't cut out the entire two inches of course. leave some seam allowance. but you maybe have to clip a bit. Try to clip as least as possible until you also get your boxing on. So when you do cut out that two inch corner.. leave a seam allowance is what I am trying to say..

When I say clip.. I MEAN towards the seam.. not clipping out the fabric. Just a straight cut towards the seam.. towards where you sew your stitches.. not parallel to them.
-- Edited on 12/16/12 9:04 AM --

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/16/12 9:00 AM

And lastly. we now have a pinned home dec thread. I hope you take advantage of it. as well as any links to our other home dec threads..

CAN someone clue me in as to whether my instructions are clear. .or clear as mud.. Thanks..
-- Edited on 12/16/12 9:05 AM --

PChuter
PChuter
Member since 12/16/12
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 9:18 AM

Hello - first of all thank you for taking the trouble to help me with this. What I'm trying to do is cover a box shaped cushion which then just sits on top of a wooden seat which has the four nasty interfering legs at each corner. There was no previous cover. I'm going to go back very slowly over your instructions and try them out on an old piece of fabric. Thing is - I'm doing this for someone else who has brought a horrifyingly expensive piece of material to do the job and I'm going to practise and practise before I let myself loose on the main event. Its mid afternoon here in the UK - I do appreciate how early in the morning it is for you!!
-- Edited on 12/16/12 9:22 AM --

PChuter
PChuter
Member since 12/16/12
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 9:21 AM

Me again. The cushion - or more correctly the piece of foam - is 44 inches long, 16 inches wide and 4 inches deep. This may help you visualise!

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 1:39 PM

This is more what I would think of as a bench cushion.. but the method of sewing it is the same as what it would be for any boxed cushion.. so the tutorials should help you. Now that I reread the thread I am guessing you have not sewn a boxed cushion before. so I say yes to practicing.
Now I should ask if you plan on using a zipper to close it up.. or blind stitching. ?
You should be able to combine what I have advised.. along with the videos you have seen to get a satisfactory result.. I am around.. on and off. so just shoot me questions if need be..
Since you plan on doing a muslin so to speak.. you can use it for your pattern too.. that should help.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 1:43 PM

Am trying to anticipate any problems you might have in advance.. so not to hold up your project. Now if you have not experience doing box cushions.. you may find going around the corners a bit tricky. expect that so you aren't frustrated.. It can be hard to pull off even with someone with experience. IF need be.. pin and baste by hand before taking it to the machine. Also .. if your machine does not feed the fabric thru evenly.. .you will have some adjustments then also.. so that is where hand basting might help.. If this is happening to you.. feed the fabric thru slowly. and periodically lift the feed dogs and then lower them.. helping the fabric to feed thru..
You can even.. horrors.. do those corners by hand stitching if necessary..

PChuter
PChuter
Member since 12/16/12
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 4:11 PM

I was planning on doing a velcro fastening rather than a zip. There is a very good tutorial on Youtube by an American lady doing exactly that. I have practised a box cushion before but it is definitely the cut away corners that is phasing me. But I think you're right, its best to take the fabric to the cushion.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Boxed Cushions

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Beginner Sewing Lab 104 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 104  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Sheer White

PerfectFuse Sheer White

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.