SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Learning to Live With and Love SMAD ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Learning to Live With and Love SMAD
LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 12/16/12 9:28 AM

Why fight it? Once caught, SMAD, Sewing Machine Acquisition Disorder, remains within the body for life, sometimes virulently active, occasionally in remission.

But the fact of the matter is, it never actually goes away. So really, why fight it?

Instead, learn to reach out and embrace the good side of the disease!

Already have The Best Ever sewing machine, but still think machine X is so pretty? Or machine Y means access to shopping for bunches of new accessories or feet?

Easy solution! Just embrace your SMAD and purchase machine X and Y! No need to justify them, and you don't even have to actually sew with them (after all, you already own The Best Ever sewing machine). You can't help it, it's not your fault.

You just have SMAD!

Those searching questions from outsiders such as one's spouse are simply brushed aside; "I have SMAD."

No more second-guessing your own sanity when yet another machine follows you home; "I have SMAD."

So reach out and embrace that disorder! You can't get rid of it, so learn to Live With and Love it!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/16/12 9:46 AM

I hope I'm cured. I don't really have the purest form of SMAD where you just continue to add one machine after another to your herd. My form of SMAD is more in terms of buying what I think is the "perfect" machine, using it for awhile, then selling it and replacing it with another "perfect" machine. I've run the gamut of Bernina machines, owning at least one machine out of each series beginning with the Activa line, 3 Series, Aurora, 5 Series, Artista and ending with the 8 Series. The only series I haven't owned is the new 7 Series. No, No, No, you can't make me buy one!

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/16/12 10:23 AM

heh heh....

No need to *make you buy one* ... lol... you'll do it all on your own.

------
My pattern video is on www.BionicGearBag.com
The drama is on: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 12/16/12 10:28 AM

I'm resisting -- won't even look at one.

------
Patricia
Bernina B780E ~ Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Sew Nanny <<

Date: 12/16/12 10:39 AM

Good luck with that. Let us know how that works out for you.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/16/12 11:28 AM

I think it's just like any hobby. Once you stop growing with it and enjoying it, why bother?? If buying a new machine from time to time keeps your hobby/interests fresh, then why not? I'm still looking for a chainstitching machine and a blindhemmer. After that, I don't know, but you can bet I'll still be interesting in "growing" my interests!! I wish all of you to continue to ENJOY AND GROW YOUR ARTISTIC INTERESTS TOO!!!..

-- Edited on 12/16/12 11:29 AM --

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/16/12 11:28 AM

My thoughts are ...Are you trying to prepare us for a major announcement of the latest FW ? Suspicions abound.

Oh no I do not have SMAD .... I bet delete the history of yesterdays exploring fast!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh goody, DH has now getting a nice part time job starts Dec 1st. ~smile~
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 12/16/12 11:39 AM

SMAD is an odd thing. It affects me differently at different times. And I have had it for many, many years. Sometimes I want vintage machines because they are so cool, sometimes I am in search of that perfect 'extra' machine. But I agree, no reason to fight it. Plus it gives my children something tangible they are referring to when they look at each other and say "just smile and nod"

So -does embracing it mean I could cave and buy another machine at such great savings as I purchased The Black? Even though I decided to keep Eddie and turn him into a sewing only machine? Because, really, a bare bones Activa 210 would be perfect to have around for kids, wouldn't it?

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/16/12 1:43 PM

If only there were a flow of machines OUT, even a trickle, I could live my SMAD to the fullest. For example, I don't use the 930 very often, because it doesn't have needle down or the heel tap. So I'd like to replace it with a 1030, but in all likelihood, the 930 wouldn't go anywhere.

I wish I could just trade my Pfaff 7510 and Select 3.0 toward a Juki 2010q, or an Evolution.

The 440 needs to go somewhere too...

I have MCS, machine congestion syndrome.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 12/16/12 1:46 PM

For starters I am NOT reading the thread on the PURPLE machine.. not that I would live long enough now to read it all anyway.

But I have to say.. I resembl... er.... resent the insinuation that there is something wrong with having SMAD..

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Learning to Live With and Love SMAD

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Class Details

HotPatterns 1144

photo
by: michellep7...

Review
Butterick 5856

photo
by: Mahogany S...

Review
Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

Christine Jonson Cuff Pant

More Info
Sewn Square One Skirt Smarts Pattern

Sewn Square One Skirt Smarts Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.