SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Machine Embroidery > PE 500 Thread Issues ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
PE 500 Thread Issues
Top thread is hanging up in the bobbin compartment
dbiggs
dbiggs
Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 12/17/12
Send Message

Date: 12/17/12 7:54 AM

Can someone please help. I have just purchased a PE500 and of course it is my first embroidery machine. I was having great success and now everything that I try to embroidery is messing up. The top thread is gathering in the bobbin area. I am having to cut my project to get it out of the machine, then take the plate that covers the bobbin off to remove all of the thread that has gathered in the bottom of the machine. I have tried switching bobbins (I'm so not new to this that I'm still using the pre-wrapped bobbins that came with the machine), cleaning the bobbin area. I have made sure that everything is threaded correctly, and I have even switched out thread. I have done all of the trouble shooting items in the manual. I was hoping that I may be able to find out what I may be doing wrong from someone that may have been in my shoes with this same problem.

Margaret35
Margaret35
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 2/2/03
Send Message

In reply to dbiggs <<

Date: 12/17/12 9:00 AM

The same thing was happening to me yesterday on a different embroidery machine. I changed the needle and the problem went away. I had used a temporary adhesive spray on my progejt and the needle was getting gummed up. Try a new needle and take out the boobin case and clean that. Make sure you ddidn't miss any little pieces of thread down there.

dbiggs
dbiggs
Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 12/17/12
Send Message

Date: 12/17/12 9:38 AM

Thanks for the tip. I have tried everything else that I know to do. I have contacted Brother, via there online chat, but they keep referring me back to the troubleshooting area of the manual. I have already tried everything in the troubleshooting portion of the book.
Thanks for the tip. As soon as I get to my machine I will try that. I sure hope it works, because I have several items I need to finish tonight.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 12/17/12 9:54 AM

It's probably not in the bobbin area it's the top tension. Did you try re-threading it or cleaning out the tension disks?

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

dbiggs
dbiggs
Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 12/17/12
Send Message

Date: 12/17/12 10:25 AM

I have tried to re-thread several times. I have adjusted the tension. I was working on 15 items, all the same. I completed the first one and put my second item in the machine and then the problems started. I have cleaned everything possible that I know to clean. I have contacted Brothers again, via online chat, and she as well told me to change the needle. We also have a local authorized service center in my town, so I have also talked to them this morning. She told me to try the same things that all of you have told me to do. She said if that does not work, to bring the machine in. I'm about to go crazy, because I need the 15 items tomorrow.... Everyone has been wonderful with their help, so I hope I can get my machine to work when I get back home.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/17/12 10:44 AM

Just add, there is cleaning the bobbin case/race and cleaning the bobbin area. The later requires the removal of the needle plate so the area surrounding the bobbin case can be cleaned free of any lint or thread snips that may have accumulated.

Second suggestion is to always thread any sewing machine with the presser foot up so the tension disks are open for proper acceptance of the thread.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Margaret35 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/17/12 10:47 AM

Quote: Margaret35
The same thing was happening to me yesterday on a different embroidery machine. I changed the needle and the problem went away. I had used a temporary adhesive spray on my progejt and the needle was getting gummed up. Try a new needle and take out the boobin case and clean that. Make sure you ddidn't miss any little pieces of thread down there.

The heat of the needle is causing the melting of the adhesive.

If you use Titanium coated machine embroidery needles the gumming will no longer be a problem.

This coating helps keep the needle cooler than that of a needle without the coating.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Margaret35
Margaret35
Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 2/2/03
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 12/17/12 11:49 AM

Thanks for the tip. I've heard that 505 spray does not gum up the needle. Does anyone know for sure? I used craft bond yesterday and it probably wasn't the best spray to use.

dbiggs
dbiggs
Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 12/17/12
Send Message

Date: 12/17/12 1:31 PM

I was just reading another topic which talked about stabilizers. I'm using a medium grade tear away stabilizer, and I'm working on an isolated tote. Do you think that my thread problem could be the stabilizer (again, please remember, I'm new at machine embroidering).

Mikgirl
star
Mikgirl
Member since 2/24/10
Send Message

In reply to dbiggs <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/17/12 4:20 PM

I just got my PE500 and had this problem as well.
It was going well for like first two project, then it went downhill..
I was having so much problems I thought I broke the machine.

I did the same thing you did... Clean out the machine area, rethreaded, etc...
Did you also open the needle plate (silver plate above the bobbin case. You need a screw driver to open it) and checked inside?
A couple of times there was a thread caught in there.

I think you just need to do all the troubleshooting very carefully.
It's so frustrating that it's easy to rush to fix it. (speaking drom an experience!)

First I went through so many needle changes..
Once the thread was messed up it usually bent the needle, so I changed to a new one everytime.

Also, I now periodcally check to make sure that the bobin thread is threaded correctly.
After each color change, the machine is supposed to cut the thread automatically.
Sometimes the thread isn't cut all the way, and I have to push the thread cutting button to cut it off.
It seems to mess up the bobbin by doing this, so I rethread it.

And when you open up the bobbin case to clean out, make sure everything is back in its place correctly.
A couple of times the placement of the case was a little off because it wasn't lined up right, or because the plate cover wasn't put back correctly so it shifted the case, etc...

At the end, I didn't do anything different from the suggested troubleshooting.
I just calmed down and did each step very carefully.
Now I'm trouble-free (knock knock!) so far.
Hope you resolve the problem!!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> PE 500 Thread Issues

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Other 0000 Purse

photo
by: LauraJ

Review
Other Gertie\'s Book:

photo
by: KAHooke

Review
Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Sewn Square One Triple Play Top Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.