SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > TNT Pajama Pants Pattern ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
TNT Pajama Pants Pattern
Need Recommendation for Women
KLK7
KLK7
Beginner
Member since 10/12/12
Send Message

Date: 12/19/12 5:03 PM

As a beginning sewer, I have made Simplicity 9499 several times: 3 times for men and 2 times for women. I took a class at JoAnn fabrics and they assured me this was a unisex pattern. However, this pattern looks really strange on the 2 pair for women. They turn out almost like maternity pants, with a lot of room and extra fabric in the crotch and belly. The second pair I took some of the rise out of it and it helped but they still weren't shaped right.

Do you have a TNT misses pajama pants pattern recommendation for women, preferably in the Big 4? Simplicity 9499

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to KLK7 <<

Date: 12/19/12 6:12 PM

Aren't PJ bottoms suppose to be roomy?

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/20/12 6:01 AM

For basics like pajama pants, I usually seek out a KwikSew pattern, and they have several sleep pants patterns. This one is in their Learn to Sew line, so it would include good instructions. I often find that KS patterns are on the roomy side, especially if your measurements are at the lower end of the inch range for each size. But it's easy to trace between two sizes to scale down the roominess a little. If your hip measurement is at the top of the range (for instance, 40" when the size chart says Hips 38-40), then that size should be fine. You might want to customize the crotch depth a little, but that can be done when you fold down the top of the pants to form the elastic casing.
-- Edited on 12/20/12 6:30 AM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

cocosloft
starstar
cocosloft  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/17/12
Send Message

Date: 12/20/12 7:35 AM

My TNT for womens PJs bottoms is McCalls 5989. It has short and long pants, and a really cute robe as well. Soooo comfortable and great fit.

------
Coco

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/20/12 10:10 AM

This selection my differ, person by person.

I adjust and then keep the pattern for reusing or comparison when preparing a new pattern.

Once you get the adjustment. Use the measurement for the rise as well as the usual measurement.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to KLK7 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/20/12 10:17 AM

Quote:
they assured me this was a unisex pattern

I think that's part of the problem. There is no such thing as a truly unisex pattern or garment, IMHO -- even pyjamas.

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Image: rosebush in the snow

GoSewGirl
GoSewGirl  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 4/14/04
Send Message

Date: 12/20/12 11:39 AM

I like the pj pant in Simplicity 3696

I seem to collect sleepwear patterns - always a fun, quick and easy project - and I like having nice sleepwear. This pattern has been out for a while, but I do think it's one of my favorites from the Big4 pattern companies.

The fit is roomy and comfortable but it's not overly large or baggy. The hips aren't huge and the leg is straight, not tapered. The rest of the pattern is really nice also. I've made the knit top and the robe as well as the pants.

------
Liz

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to GoSewGirl <<

Date: 12/20/12 11:44 AM

That looks like a nice pj top in that pattern. Thanks. I needed another pattern, and now I can blame you!

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to GoSewGirl <<

Date: 12/20/12 12:04 PM

I love the top and that pattern a lot. At the next sale I am getting both size ranges. I have skinny daughters. A good pj pattern is always welcome around here.

GoSewGirl
GoSewGirl  Friend of PR
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 4/14/04
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer <<

Date: 12/20/12 2:21 PM

Just trying to be helpful

And of course, having this pattern all ready hasn't kept me from buying other sleepwear patterns. You know, just to have options.

Truthfully it IS a good one. And with a Jo-ann's sale, it will be a dollar or two well spent.

------
Liz

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> TNT Pajama Pants Pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2013-123B

photo
by: Heatherriq...

Review
Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Sew Liberated Mischievous Gnome Messenger Bag

Buy Now
ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.