SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Men's handkerchiefs ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Men's handkerchiefs
JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

Date: 12/19/12 6:52 PM

I would like to make some handkerchiefs for my 96 year old Daddy. As disgusting as it is, he still likes to blow his nose into a cotton handkerchief rather than use a tissue. His handkerchiefs have seen much better days. Problem is, the ones I buy are paper thin. What can I make them out of? They have to be white. How about a heavy broad cloth or Kona Cotton?

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 12/19/12 7:29 PM

What's disgusting about it? I make them for both hubby and I out of... handkerchief linen

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 12/19/12 8:16 PM

I made a bunch several years ago out of well worn flannelette. They were for someone who highly appreciated used, recycled, upcycled stuff. I would go with broadcloth and see if he likes it. Probably several prewashes will make them nicer to use.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Subject: Mens handkerchiefs Date: 12/19/12 8:58 PM

I just look for 100% cotton fabric that feels good. I've never made them from flannel, but I expect they would feel good on your nose even when you have a cold! My dad likes handkerchiefs and it's an easy gift to make and give. I love handkerchiefs too, I often find embroidered ones at yard sales.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 1 - woohoo! finished my oldest UFO - an apron cut out in the mid-80s with a pattern from the mid-40s! and the bias binding promptly disintegrated in the wash! Ok, it was from my Great-Grandmother's stash, which means it was bought anytime from the 1910's to 1970's.
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 1
New Projects started in 2014: 2
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 0
bought in 2014: 17.25

I know...I'm procrastinating.

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 12/20/12 8:52 AM

Thank you all for some wonderful suggestions. My husband carries cloth handkerchiefs, but rarely uses them to blow his nose in(only in an emergency). Daddy has done this all my life and I've never gotten use to it...It's even worse, now that I'm washing them.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 12/20/12 9:01 AM

JTink if you have any stores like Farm & Fleet or Ben Franklin's you can buy them for Daddy. I got some for Mom last month at Ben Franklin's 3 in the box lady like (as Mom would say) .... men's would be the all white or the large square red, or navy blue is what they had at Ben Franklin's. .............. Whatever you do I hope your Daddy likes them. ....

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^

DH has to have more eye injections.. no change...injections start 7/23
My kid brother is having a triple bypass, his heart..Scary... Please keep him in your prayers.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ... Please help us out soon...+

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to JTink <<

Date: 12/20/12 9:09 AM

My first days learning to iron was ironing handkerchiefs for my daddy; he'd be 96 now, too. I love using regular handkerchiefs for myself because if they get lost in a pocket and the item gets washed, especially something dark, I'm not picking lint for years to come.

What you want is something that is going to absorb; yes, I know, that sounds gross, but that's the purpose of a hankie. So I wouldn't use broadcloth. Kona cotton would be good, a heavier handkerchief linen would be good, (most handkerchief linens I've recently seen look like batiste, though) and I think the idea of flannel is excellent, especially in winter. Hemstitch 1/2" away from the edges and monogram in the middle one side and those handkerchiefs will look like something you bought at Joseph Banks.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

JTink
star
JTink
Intermediate
Member since 4/20/08
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 12/20/12 9:20 AM

Miss Fairchild...I also learned how to iron by doing Daddy's handkerchiefs... He has been using the same ones for decades. Us kids use to always give him handkerchiefs for Christmas. That's when you could by nice ones. While putting away some of his clean laundry a few weeks ago, I discovered a box of of three that had never been opened(I've been tossing out the really bad ones). He needs a few more to replace the nasty ones. I opened the box and was just horrified at how thin they were. These were more "put them in your suit pocket and look nice" types. No way he could blow that ample Italian nose in to one of those and not cause a real delimma(especially in public). So I threw them out.

I think I will check out the kona. Daddy likes white. I wish he would use a color, it would "look" a little nicer. My husband likes the bandana type(blues, red). I've even made him some for this Christmas from blue bandana material I found. Oh and I hear you on the tissues in the wash...Just finished cleaning up some husband left in his pocket....ewwww...what a mess one little tissue can make in the washer and dryer.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/20/12 10:08 AM

I am the guilty party for tissues in the wash at my house. I have that permanently dripping nose that just gets slightly better or worse sometimes. My big discovery was that the tissues with lotion definitely hold together better. They sometimes don't even separate into the different layers! I am religious about pocket checking, but sometimes one will get tucked into a sleeve or waistband and I miss them.

I will sometimes use flannel hankies when I have a cold and years ago I had a friend tell me, after observing this, that research showed that hankie users get more colds than tissue users. At the time I wanted to yell "I already have a cold! Trying to prevent a future cold now would be stupid!" But I didn't. Funny how dumb things like that still irk after close to 30 years.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 12/20/12 3:55 PM

If you'd like to buy some instead, try these at the Vermont Country Store. They look like the real deal.

------
Debbie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Men's handkerchiefs

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Register

McCall's 6481

photo
by: khurtdvm

Review
Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems The Ultimate Kinsale Cloak Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.