SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Kitchen remodel ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Kitchen remodel
stove, oven, down draft vent, etc.
sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 12/19/12 8:09 PM

Going to remodel the kitchen.

We now have a 30 yr old Jenn Air down draft drop in stove.
The easiest would be to get another Jenn air.... but they have a lousy track record.

Or should we get a cook top, down draft vent and separate oven? Do more wiring and lose cabinet space?

Any insight appreaciated.

Also any opinions on dishwashers?

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to sewsally <<

Date: 12/19/12 9:10 PM

I think it really depends on what sort of cooking, baking etc you do.

I lived in a house with a Jennair from 1977 to 1997. The stove was new in '77.

We do a lot of canning, cooking pasta etc, and the down draft vent was never adequate. The oven was really small too.

The house we live in now has a over stove exhaust 450 cubic inches per minute or whatever the scale is. It still has a hard time keeping up during a canning session, but it is usually warm when I am canning and I have the door and windows open.

For a dishwasher, I would take the tallest wine glasses, biggest plates etc to the store and see which ones they fit into.

If I was buying a new stove, I would take my largest roasting pans and cookie sheets. It is surprising how much the interior dimensions of an oven can vary. Wall ovens tend to be smaller than all in one stoves.

Enjoy your new kitchen.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/19/12 11:07 PM

My previous house had a gas Jen-air range and a wall oven. I really loved 2 ovens. I don't care for the combination of gas and downdraft. On the Jenn-air it sucks the flame down and is very inefficient. I have a different house that came with an electric Jen-air cook top and wall ovens. I'm still a fan of gas, but the electric downdraft works better.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to sewsally <<

Date: 12/20/12 7:26 PM

Our complete kitchen renovation was completed right before Thanksgiving. Retired the 26 y/o JennAir downdraft cooktop and got an induction cooktop. WE LOVE IT! We already had the right kind of cookware. We added the telescoping downdraft because we had enough room. All the bits and pieces for it cost almost as much as the induction cooktop, but a vent hood above is not possible in our house.

I was torn between KitchenAid and Bosch dishwasher, and settled on a Bosch with that extra cutlery rack on the very top. This dishwasher does an amazingly better job than our old one, and with the same detergent I always used!

GardenWeb forums have a lot of valuable information. I browsed there quite a bit as part of my research.

STL Mom
STL Mom  Friend of PR
Member since 4/14/07
Send Message

Date: 12/20/12 10:02 PM

I put an induction stovetop into my last house, and I loved it too! Now I have a glass top electric stove and I can't wait for it to break so I can replace it with induction. It's only 5 years old, though, so I probably have to wait another 15 years.
I am not a huge fan of the downdraft vent. I've had it in the last two kitchens and it just doesn't seem to collect as much steam and odors as the overhead vents (at least the kind that goes outside.) Any chance of switching to an overhead vent?
I have a Jenn Air dishwasher and I don't like it. Only plates in the bottom shelf get clean -- bowls and pans stay dirty. I used to have an Asko that worked very well. I've also had a Whirlpool that was good, but noisier than the Asko.
Good luck with your remodel! I did that once and it was a big pain, but so great afterward.

Doris W. in TN
star
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

Date: 12/20/12 11:20 PM

Quote:
For a dishwasher, I would take the tallest wine glasses, biggest plates etc to the store and see which ones they fit into.

This is good advice. The tines on the Bosch are very close together, so thick plates (I'm thinking line stoneware or the old Pfaltzgraf stuff) won't fit very well.

The Bosch and KitchenAid models - maybe all their models? - have an adjustable upper rack.
a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to sewsally <<

Date: 12/21/12 2:14 PM

My favorite configuration is having a full size range with convection oven and mega CFM vent hood with super lighting on the 'far' side of the kitchen and a cooktop and vent on the wet/serving side of the kitchen.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Speech girl
starstar
Speech girl  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 5/11/03
Send Message

Date: 12/21/12 7:50 PM

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer a seperate cooktop with a wall oven: I am having my kitchen remodeled right now and I am replacing the drop in gas stove with a gas cooktop and double wall oven (a regular oven and a microwave/convection oven). I like big drawers under the cooktop for all my pots and pans. Some folk don't like wall ovens because they eat up a lot of wall space, so a drop in stove is better. Plus, I think you can get a larger oven with a stove than a wall oven. Consumer reports has a kitchen issue out now that ihas very helpful information.

I had a down draft at my previous house and it worked ok, but contractors and appliance salespeople don't seem to like them. The advice we heard was to make sure the down draft was higher than your tallest pots.

------
Kim
formerly mikkim
http://girlwithatimemachine.wordpress.com/

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/21/12 11:43 PM

Even though I'd have gotten even more counter space with a range, I didn't want to be leaning over to remove a turkey or anything else for that matter. I like eye level view of what's in the oven. Formerly, it was tiny, so the Kitchenaid I chose is big enough for 4 9x13 pyrex, and I totally love the tray that rolls out on ball bearing glides. I sometimes wish I'd done the double ovens, but it's okay. Doubles are great for large families, holidays and if you do the large cooking for a month thing.

DW: Mine is a Kitchenaid, and it's wonderful. I am happy I got the more expensive one with the stainliess steel interior. It just seems cleaner than the plastic. I can drop down the last one or two rows of prongs on the bottom, and lean pots or casseroles toward the back, and use Pro Scrub. It reallly gets them super clean.

I am still so happy I discovered the microwave drawer, by Sharp. I probably never would have heard of it if not for GardenWeb.com. My problem was very little counter space. I didn't want to reach up, or waste counter space, and I like a large microwave. It is installed under the wall oven.

I also found having a cabinet devoted to cookie sheets and metal baking pans, pizza stones etc above the wall oven to be majorly convenient. And under the micro-drawer is a drawer where the glass bakeware goes. BB & B has these heavy metal racks that sit inside, and hold glass bakeware of all sizes and shapes side by side, as long as they are no deeper than about 3 inches. This way they aren't stacked. I couldn't find a link, sorry.

-- Edited on 12/21/12 11:58 PM --

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Doris W. in TN
star
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/22/12 2:26 PM

We kept a wall oven, but had a cubby built over it for the microwave (counter-top type). Over all that, in the upper cabinet area, I had dividers installed so I could "file" my baking sheets, muffin tins, etc. on their sides. Below the wall oven, I had a drawer put in with removable dividers for the roasting pans, 9x13s, etc. It is very handy and much better than having them all stacked on top of each other. (oops... I need to straighten out that one divider)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Kitchen remodel

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

New Look 6119

photo
by: slmstyle

Review
Vogue Patterns 1158

photo
by: thesewingl...

Review
Lily Pocket Purse

Lily Pocket Purse

Buy Now
Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.