SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Miscellaneous > Side Dishes for Rib Eye Roast ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Side Dishes for Rib Eye Roast
I wanted to try something new for the Holidays.
Valerie Jo
star
Valerie Jo
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 8/2/09
Send Message

Date: 12/20/12 8:34 PM

The roast was on sale. I researched on the internet how to cook it and what to make for side dishes. A popular one is creamed spinach. Now I'm searching for another side.

Anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 12/20/12 8:39 PM

I am going to be trying This recipe for mushrooms, suggested by Karla Kizer. I have all the ingredients, now just need 9 hours to cook 'em.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/20/12 8:42 PM

Have you tried Sweet Potato Hash? Grated white russet and sweet potatoes, fried in butter, then add brown sugar and maple syrup. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and you're ready!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Valerie Jo <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/20/12 8:44 PM

We usually roast potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips and garlic under the meat.

Plus one or two steamed vegies. We eat a lot of broccoli and cauliflower, but might just heat up some frozen peas or corn.

It is expensive this time of year but asparagus is good too.

Yorkshire pudding, to mop up the gravy.

A lovely red wine too.

Enjoy the roast.

I have cooked them hot and fast or low and slow, both ways work well, just do not over cook it.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

Valerie Jo
star
Valerie Jo
Advanced Beginner
Missouri USA
Member since 8/2/09
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 12/20/12 8:46 PM

I wonder if you could make those mushrooms in a crock pot?

The potatoes sound wonderful too. Thanks.

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

In reply to tourist <<

Date: 12/20/12 9:10 PM

The mushrooms are a favorite, and I'm hoping to stew up a batch this weekend to go with the beef tenderloin. If you can make them a day or so ahead of time, they, like lots of other things, are better when they're reheated. And yes, they can be done in a crockpot, if you have a large one. I made a real mess last year trying to stuff these things in mine.

Our Christmas Eve dinner menu hasn't changed for years - Tenderloin of Beef, Potatoes....I hope and whatever vegetable looks good. This year, I seem to be obsessed with fresh green beans with bacon, onion and balsamic vinegar - something like this. DH and I have been making entire meals out of these lately.

With creamed spinach (yum), though, creamy potatoes and a green vegetable might be redundant. What about Potatoes Anna, served in wedges? No milk or cream in them and the potatoes get a nice crispy edge that would contrast with the creamed spinach. Potatoes Anna. (A google search brings up lots of similar potato recipes.)
-- Potatoes....I hope
-- Edited on 12/21/12 6:57 PM --

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer <<

Date: 12/20/12 11:22 PM

Karla - check your link for those Pommes Dauph. It links to Nancy Zieman's book on Amazon. LOL Maybe we'll need her book for adjusting patterns after eating Pommes Dauph-whatever?

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/20/12 11:26 PM

Yorkshire Pudding is yummy, and fun to watch it rise in the oven if you use muffin tins for individual ones. But be warned, it is messy in the oven when you use the muffin tins.

Potatoes au gratin a la Betty Crocker are what we're having this year with our rib roast. Martha Stewart I ain't.

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

Date: 12/21/12 1:32 AM

My family's favorite dumplings, made for any dinner where there will be gravy. Warning though, these are chewy, Central European dumplings, not the lovely soft American ones:

3 eggs
2 c flour
salt (1/2t? I tend to undersalt things because of DH)
water

Beat the eggs. Stir in flour and salt. Batter should be stiff enough to hold the wooden spoon upright. Add water if too stiff, or flour if not stiff enough.

Drop by tablespoonfuls into boiling water. (Tip, dip the spoon in the water before you scoop the batter and they will slide off.) Stir so they come up from the bottom. Boil uncovered for 20 minutes. If necessary, they can wait in the hot water (not boiling) for up to an hour. Can be doubled. It could probably be tripled but I don't have the arm strength for that.

Leftovers can be fried in butter for breakfast the next morning.

------
Barb

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to Doris W. in TN <<

Date: 12/21/12 1:38 AM

Quote:
Maybe we'll need her book for adjusting patterns after eating Pommes Dauph-whatever?
Karla's always thinking ahead!
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Side Dishes for Rib Eye Roast

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Petite Plus 150 Pattern

Buy Now
JSM-Pant 1

JSM-Pant 1

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.