SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sew Alongs > Doctor Who Anniversary Sew-a-long 2013 ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Doctor Who Anniversary Sew-a-long 2013
LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/21/12 4:46 AM

As its the 50th anniversary year in 2013....was thinking of having a Doctor Who themed sew-a-long.
Anyone is welcome to join me. The idea is to sew by December 2013 something inspired by each of the doctor's. Not sure if I'll manage it but I'll give it a good go.
I've started by planning a 11th Doctor inpired outfit.

Come join me if you wish....all welcome.
A I'll put up detailed post with how to join in once I get it written.
-- Edited on 12/21/12 5:10 AM --

------
'The purpose of most fashion is to be ostentatiously non-functional.'

Mrs. Cecil
star
Mrs. Cecil
Advanced
USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

Date: 12/22/12 9:09 AM

This sounds like a fun challenge. I showed it to my husband and we sat there for a few minutes trying to figure out the various Doctors' signature pieces. We did great until Colin Baker.

Personally I'm trying to channel Cinnamon Carter (original Mission Impossible) and retro (1930's - 1950's) Nancy Drew, but I wonder if my husband would notice if I started making him clothes based on the various Doctors? Now you've got me wondering...

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

In reply to Mrs. Cecil <<

Date: 12/22/12 5:47 PM

Quote: Mrs. Cecil
This sounds like a fun challenge. I showed it to my husband and we sat there for a few minutes trying to figure out the various Doctors' signature pieces. We did great until Colin Baker.

Personally I'm trying to channel Cinnamon Carter (original Mission Impossible) and retro (1930's - 1950's) Nancy Drew, but I wonder if my husband would notice if I started making him clothes based on the various Doctors? Now you've got me wondering...

I've got my post with all the details timed to post when the christmas dr who special starts. But for colin baker my idea was to use the colours and fabrics from his coat to make a 'patchwork' bag.

You should so do it just for fun. :)
If your doing 50's what about a poodle skirt with doctor who themed embelishments for yourself? ;)

------

Nancy1955
star
Nancy1955  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 5/10/10
Send Message

Date: 12/22/12 6:10 PM

Something related to each of the Doctors? How many projects would that be? I'll have to look up all the Doctors. I only really started watching with Eggleston.

Mrs. Cecil
star
Mrs. Cecil
Advanced
USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

In reply to Nancy1955 <<

Date: 12/22/12 8:29 PM

I haven't kept up with the newer episodes, but I think they are on the eleventh doctor... It's doubtful that I'd have time to go through all the Doctors, but it would be fun to get in a few.

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

Date: 12/23/12 5:21 AM

There are currently 11 Doctor's. Your quite welcome to pick and choose one or two you want to interpret.
this pinterest board should help
doctor who inspiration pin board

------

Mrs. Cecil
star
Mrs. Cecil
Advanced
USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

Date: 12/24/12 10:25 PM

I think my brain is on overload. I tried to watch Horror of Fang Rock (4th Doctor/Tom Baker) while sewing this afternoon, but had to keep stopping so I could pay attention to what they were wearing and how it could be reinterpreted.

So many things could be done with Tom Baker's scarf. Color blocking on a tote bag, wall hanging, table runner, jacket lapel or even something obvious like an infinity scarf. Maybe a fitted jacket with color blocking on pocket flaps. Maybe I think too much. We've got two more Dr. Who dvds in the Christmas stockings, I've got to get a grip or I won't get any sewing done on my week off.

PS: Don't worry, I'm not like this all the time. I'm just a little hyper because I know that Santa put a few new patterns in my stocking.

LDT2011
star
LDT2011
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 11/18/11
Send Message

In reply to Mrs. Cecil <<

Date: 12/25/12 2:24 PM

Quote: Mrs. Cecil
I think my brain is on overload. I tried to watch Horror of Fang Rock (4th Doctor/Tom Baker) while sewing this afternoon, but had to keep stopping so I could pay attention to what they were wearing and how it could be reinterpreted.

So many things could be done with Tom Baker's scarf. Color blocking on a tote bag, wall hanging, table runner, jacket lapel or even something obvious like an infinity scarf. Maybe a fitted jacket with color blocking on pocket flaps. Maybe I think too much. We've got two more Dr. Who dvds in the Christmas stockings, I've got to get a grip or I won't get any sewing done on my week off.

PS: Don't worry, I'm not like this all the time. I'm just a little hyper because I know that Santa put a few new patterns in my stocking.

Sounds like some great ideas. :)
I've posted my explination post which has the 'badge' for the sew a long. And the list of what I've got planned for each doctor.

------

Mrs. Cecil
star
Mrs. Cecil
Advanced
USA
Member since 4/22/04
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 10:01 AM

In case anybody is struggling with the earlier Doctors, here is a great link for Dr. Who pics. They don't seem to have character shots for the newer Doctors, but they do have quite a variety for the original seven and their companions.

charwith
charwith
Advanced Beginner
DC
Member since 12/7/10
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 1:28 AM

Oh my. This is the best idea ever on the face of the planet and now I have to descend into my brainstorm cave and make this happen. I literally gasped with delight.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> Doctor Who Anniversary Sew-a-long 2013

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

HotPatterns 1138

photo
by: Speech gir...

Review
SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.