SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Gifts I Made This Year ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Gifts I Made This Year
What you learned and which machine did the job
KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

Date: 12/24/12 12:44 PM

OK, I seriously don't have the time to do this myself yet, but I promise to be back and post pix as soon as I've recovered from gigs and gifting. Meanwhile, I thought some of you may just be sitting around sleighriding your laptop and can show us your work and perhaps even inspire us to get an earlier start on next year. I think it would be especially useful to see projects with impressive results that didn't take very long to make and/or were low cost.

Please describe how the project went, what gave you trouble and what you would do differently next time. Include links if possible to a pattern or instructions. What machine did you use, and how did it handle the project?

------
Let's just say all modern sms are well represented in my studio.

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/24/12 6:43 PM

I'll start the project list. I did two projects for little cousins this Christmas. One was a scrap memory game, the tutorial is here. It's great scrapbuster! It was cheap to make too, the white background was a $1 muslin sheet, the scraps I had, and the background clearance fabric from Joann's. The whole cost for 4 sets of them, including the drawstring bags to put them in, was around $12! I made a much bigger set for each one, so it took a long time to sew, but it's easy sewing.
The second project was a crayon wallets, from a tutorial here. These I made for each of the little cousins, 8 in total! Each one can be made from 4 fat quarters plus a little chalkboard fabric. Very cute, holds pencils, crayons, a notebook and chalkboard. You will use a lot less fabric for multiple copies, or if you use scraps for some of the pockets. Nice gift for the kids, and looks really good. The tutorial is detailed and nicely written. Little harder to do, but well within a beginners grasp.
I did all the sewing on my Singer Signature. I've had the machine since August and I really like it. I finally got acquainted with my thread cutter on these projects and I love the feature. So useful on the scrap project especiallly. The only problem I had was a breaking needle, which wouldn't have happened if I had the correct needle in. Had a sharp in because I was out of jean needles. The feature I really want on my next machine that mine doesn't have is a knee lift. I turned and pivoted around 200+ squares-twice!- and knee lift would have been a godsend. But I was already planning on getting that on my next machine. Needle up/down is another feature I only love more the longer I use it. The machine hums along well, even over the thick stuff. The foot with the hump jumper built in is a very good thing. I know the Singer's are not well liked, but after 5 months I'm still glad I got this machine. I want a much more expensive one eventually, but this was a good investment.

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

Date: 12/25/12 6:16 AM

Thanks for those links, Ahrizel. That's exactly what I was hoping to learn. Those would be great donation gifts for the church Christmas collection for kids toys too. Nice to know that beginners can handle them, so you've given me an idea for a little boy who wants to begin taking lessons.

------

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

Date: 12/25/12 9:10 AM

What great gifts!!! I am going to start soon for 2013 plus baby gifts!!! Thanks!

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

Date: 12/25/12 11:05 AM

Here is a link to what everyone has been doing since June this year:

Christmas Gift Ideas

Someone starts a Christmas Gift thread each year to encourage everyone to get started early and give them new ideas for gifts to make.

------
Judy

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

Date: 12/25/12 4:56 PM

I used my Kenmore 16321, Deano, & Bogie 2212 Janome for gifts this year. They both do well with fleece, somewhat thick seams & IMO do better with Coats & Clark thread.
I made pillowcases, pjs, kitty beddy byes out of fleece, aprons.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/3/13 3:48 PM

OK, I'm back. Here's an easy gift idea for embroidery. All you need to do is think of a catch phrase from the giftee's favorite TV show, in this case Big Bang Theory. I did a set of these for my sons/wives. The tshirt was from Costco and I was very impressed with the quality (NOT made in China - Peru I think!). I backed the embroidery with a matching knit panel so it wouldn't be scratchy, using one of the nice knit stitches on my PCP.

The sleep shirts for the gals are one size only and I ordered them online for cheap. I wish I had been able to find a better quality however. The cat is a John Deer design. I was having trouble with my embroidery threads breaking on both machines (PCP and Diamond Deluxe - think it may have been the bobbin thread) so decided to do it on a contrasting panel first instead, then used the wave stitch on my Evolution around the edge before attaching it to the nightshirt. The girls both really like their nightshirts.

------

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/3/13 4:09 PM

Here's a really fun but somewhat challenging project I made on my Juki 2010 using Kaffe Fassett fabrics. The Juki sewed through a gazillion layers with ease on this, including a rubbery stiffening. I think if I ever make it again I would use thick non woven interfacing instead of the rubbery stuff. This bag also looks great using contrasting light and dark fabrics for the weaving, but I separated mine roughly into warm and cooler color groupings. The lining is made as a separate section with deep pockets all around. When you open the bag and look down at the bottom you see Kaffe's gorgeous big mums here, which are also on the outside bottom. It was a real hit all around at gift opening time. The pattern is called Diamond Island Tote by Aunties Two.

------

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

Date: 1/3/13 4:13 PM

I made some cozies for tea pots and also for French Press coffee pots. I like them a lot, good for using up scarps and bits of batting. easy, quick, cute

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

KPM
star
KPM  Friend of PR
Advanced
Hawaii USA
Member since 1/18/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/3/13 4:24 PM

Here's a real luxury gift you can make without too much trouble... a faux fur throw. I read that faux lynx was trendy this year, so ordered 2 yards of the best I could find. I ordered suede cloth for the backing, which has yet to arrive, so I switched to a washable bridal satin (even though I doubt the faux fur is washable). The result was very elegant and luxurious, though maybe not as long wearing as the suede cloth lining would have been. I embroidered the giftee's monogram on one corner of the satin. I had some puckering and next time would use iron on stabilizer on the satin.

I read comments on RTW that the linings would pull away from the fur, so I considered tacking it down in several places like an old fashioned quilt. But I decided against it as the lining seemed to stay with the fur pretty well, and I didn't want to interrupt the flow of the smooth satin appearance.

Just leave a larger opening than your first estimate and you will be fine. Once you turn the throw and stitch the opening closed your stitches will be concealed by the fur. I did this by hand but perhaps you can use the machine if you can manipulate the fur out of your way in the process. I used my Bernina 580 with a walking foot on this project. The main issue is managing the weight of the fur by constantly heaping it up on the sewing table as you stitch around, to prevent drag on the needle. I was afraid to iron the lining (no fur left over to test) so just finger pressed all around - probably not the best method however.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Gifts I Made This Year

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Siena & Cortona Shirts

Sewing Workshop Siena & Cortona Shirts

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.