SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > cape/coat pattern ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
cape/coat pattern
blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/25/12 11:08 AM

I was sitting here waiting for my casserole and corn to cook for our Christmas dinner looking at the news when I came across this gorgeous cape/coat Princess Bea wore to the Christmas service at Sandringham. Does anyone know of a similar pattern? I think I have to make this. It is stunning!! I love the way it is fitted at the waist. I could almost swear I have seen one in a Burda Magazine, but I may be dreaming.
Here are a few pics but I can't seem to find a full length of the front. Thanks.

Princess Bea is on the right

Princess Bea in line behind man in olive green coat

Princess Bea on left

-- Edited on 12/25/12 11:11 AM --

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/25/12 1:21 PM

Oh, that IS gorgeous!

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 12/26/12 10:46 AM

I found it Here is a pic . I am wondering if M6558 would be a good place to start. If anyone has any ideas about any better patterns or what I could franken pattern together I would be so appreciative. I will keep looking. Thanks.

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 12/26/12 11:51 AM

I think I found something that will work to replicate it here I will just have to flare the skirt out a little more. I found it cheaper somewhere else though.
-- Edited on 12/26/12 11:55 AM --

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 12/26/12 12:45 PM

I agree it is lovely. Its not possible to tell from the photos if there is any sleeve under the cape. So, the elements are a fitted top with or without a sleeve, a fully flared skirt, and a cape with classic shoulder shaping but gathers in at the neck edge. A classic cape pattern slashed and spread and cut off at waist level would sort the cape part. The close up photos of the D&G coat show what looks like an unlined cape
part - I'm going on the finish at the hem level here. What does everyone else think about this? Have I got it right? If so, I'm guessing a quite thick coating.

wendyrb
wendyrb  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 12/30/11
Send Message

In reply to petro <<

Date: 12/26/12 1:29 PM

I agree with your assessment Petro. There must be a fit and flare coat pattern, or even a jacket with a nipped waist that could be lengthened. I'd look at vintage and costume patterns too. I'm guessing no sleeves, just the cape. I'd also do muslins to play with how much fullness at the neck gathers for a coating cloth. And also how to make it transition well into the hem drape. It's such a graceful and well proportioned thing. It would take me a good deal of patience to achieve it. Let us know how you fare.

------
Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them. Andy Rooney

Pfonzie- my honey Pfaff Creative Performance, Bernina 930 and 830, Evolution serger.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to blessedtosew <<

Date: 12/26/12 4:32 PM

I made this last year. You could just change the neckline, length of cape, and pinch in the waist and add the bottom flare.

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

In reply to petro <<

Date: 12/27/12 9:51 PM

I do not think that it is very thick fabric as it is discribed as stretch coating and I have never seen thick stretch fabric.
I have a vintage housecoat pattern that has all of the basic fittings for the coat and then all that would be needed is the cape that I feel you have organized /described well.
The only thing that I saw in Burda was a few dresses in the Plus sizes thaat have some gathers at the neck.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 12/27/12 11:10 PM

It's a stretch crepe...quite thin. You could make a much better version

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 12/27/12 11:53 PM

A modified version of Silhouetter patterns Phillip's Cape?

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> cape/coat pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

LJ Designs 0000 Fajita Skirt

photo
by: KarmenG

Review
StyleArc Ella Frill Knit Cardi

photo
by: CissieW

Review
Christine Jonson Swing Shirt

Christine Jonson Swing Shirt

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.