Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Sewing Machines > What vintage machine should I get? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What vintage machine should I get?
Which machine to buy... Viking, White, Kenmore, or Singer?
rillybob
rillybob  Friend of PR
Member since 12/25/12
Login to reply to this post

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 12/27/12 11:04 PM

Please help!!! I am buying my first very own sewing machine. For years I have been sewing on my mom's Viking 6690, one of the first computerized embroidery machines with cassettes. I have loved it and would love one.

I want to buy something that will be dependable and do a variety of things. So this is where it gets tricky. I found a few great deals on some older machines, which I believe will be more reliable than a new machine for the price. One of which is the same Viking 6690 my mom has. The others are a Singer Rocketeer 500, a White zig zag 596, and a Kenmore 1903.

My only worry about the Viking is that I could encounter computer problems. I don't know much about the background or shape of it. All I know is my mom's motherboard went out once and it was $250 to replace it. That could be a turnoff for me but I still love that machine.

As for the Singer, White, and Kenmore, they all come with cams and everything I would need. I just need to purchase a buttonhole maker for the White.

Does anyone have any knowledge about these machines to help me make up my mind??

Thank you thank you thank you!

rillybob
rillybob  Friend of PR
Member since 12/25/12

Date: 12/27/12 11:05 PM

Sorry, the Kenmore is and 1803, not a 1903.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05

In reply to rillybob <<

Date: 12/27/12 11:15 PM

The Kenmore is a nice machine - I am assuming this one works well? You will be able to get lots of information, a manual and probably easily obtainable parts - I hope so. I had a Kenmore 1602 - great machine - a flatbed without cams. About 1971 I got it. I wish I had kept it - it would have been handy from time to time.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

rillybob
rillybob  Friend of PR
Member since 12/25/12

Date: 12/27/12 11:17 PM

I could not get the Kenmore 1803 to get the needle in the center position. Does anyone know if that's a problem with this or if I just couldn't figure out the knobs?

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WI USA
Member since 3/8/10

In reply to rillybob <<

Date: 12/28/12 5:11 AM

I had a similiar problem with an older Kenmore & decided it was too pricey a repair for me. ..... My sister has Kenmore Ultra Stitch & really likes it allot. She also has a Singer Rocketeer 503 which is fun to sew with but you have to use cams to get decorative stitches. ....It depends on how you like to sew ...cams vs built in stitches, horizontal drop in bobbin vs vertical bobbin. ....Rocketeer is drop in bobbin, Kenmore is vertical bobbin. A Kenmore ultra stitch has free arm capability the Rocketeer does not . ............... If it is a straight stitch only that you would need a Singer 201 is very very good, also Singer 99K is nice & takes up a bit less room both of these are drop in bobbin.
Please post what you end up buying .... I hope you find one you really will love. ....

------
Finally a whole week above zero! Whoo hoo! ~smile~
2 shots in DH eye down, 1 more to go. We hope the tumor is shrinking.
God is with us no matter what ...+

clt3
clt3
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 2/6/06

Date: 12/28/12 7:54 AM

Many of the Kenmore 158's have a left needle position. I know my 1913 does. It is still an awesome machine that will sew through anything.

------
Singer 66-16. Singer 600e, Kenmore 158.1913 , Viking 1100, Brother 4000D, Brother Quattro, Bernina 930, White 634DE,
Babylock Evolve, 2 Featherweights ,Pfaff Creative Performance,Janome Coverpro 1000CPX

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
GA USA
Member since 10/5/08

In reply to rillybob <<

Date: 12/28/12 10:28 AM

I can address the Rocketeer - I have the 503 which uses cams vs the 500 with built in camstack. But otherwise they are identical (as far as I know).

I use this machine almost solely for the decorative stitches or zig zag needs. Otherwise, this isn't the best machine for straight stitching, especially top stitching. I have a slant shank buttonholer for it, and it works adequately, but still not as well as the buttonholer works on my 201 or 15-91.

It's a good supplementary machine to my straight stitchers, but would never be my all around go-to machine. A perfect straight stitch machine that can sew through almost anything without a hitch (i.e. the aforementioned 201 or 15-91) is well worth it's weight in gold!

PS
The other day I was using Bud (Singer 503) for some deco stitching and since I already had him out and threaded up, I ran up a few seams on my project while I was at it. A little while later, I switched over to Queen Margaret (Singer 201) and it was like going from driving an old Toyota Corolla to driving a Lexus! Bud is adequate and will get me where I'm going but QM will zoooom through it like a knife through butter. Fast, smooth and quiet with perfect stitches.

-- Edited on 12/28/12 10:38 AM --

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

rillybob
rillybob  Friend of PR
Member since 12/25/12

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 12/28/12 1:58 PM

To tgm and Kittys, how much would it have been to fix the needle position problem? That could definitely deter me from the Kenmore.

I will let you all know what I end up with! I still might go check out the Rocketeer tomorrow.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
WI USA
Member since 3/8/10

In reply to rillybob <<

Date: 12/28/12 2:04 PM

On the sm I had thought was okay it was a broken needle bar problem & it would be around $160 to repair I was told plus quite a wait as parts had to be ordered. .....

If you can test out the bobbin spool winder too on Rocketeer. Sometimes that may need a simple fix but those little wires have to be found., it is a fairly cheap fix but waiting to get the little wire thing while the sm is gone......... of course very simple to use a Sidewinder bobbin winder if it is not working. .....just a thought. ..... I think I would definitely check it out, my sister has had hers for nearly 5 years & never had any problems. She paid $140 for it refurb from a sewing machine dealer......
-- Edited on 12/28/12 2:06 PM --

------
Finally a whole week above zero! Whoo hoo! ~smile~
2 shots in DH eye down, 1 more to go. We hope the tumor is shrinking.
God is with us no matter what ...+

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild  Friend of PR
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02

In reply to rillybob <<

Date: 12/28/12 2:32 PM

If someone where to lay these all in front of me and say I could have any one, it would be the Rocketeer. Why? Because they are tanks; meant to sew heavy things, although not as much of a tank as a 201. And they are pretty mechanical and easy to fix. My first ever sewing machine was a New Home black model head; no cabinet, no case; it had the pencil shaped bobbins. Twenty five bucks and I was in heaven!

Edited to add: Here's a PR thread on the 6690: click here
And a PR thread for the Kenmore:
Click here
I can't find anything on the White.
-- Edited on 12/28/12 2:37 PM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> What vintage machine should I get?

Merchants on PR
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!
SewBaby
Unique Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Altering Jackets
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Jackets

Online Sewing Classes
Bust Adjustments
Fee: $39.99
(Regular $39.99)
Bust Adjustments

Simplicity 2662
photo
Review by MapleCandy... on 3/19/10
Read Review

Burda 9712 Pattern
Burda 9712 Pattern

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Jalie 2801 Pattern
Jalie 2801 Pattern

Details
Price: $12.75
Add to Bag Add to Bag

McCall's 6788 Misses' Dress
photo
Review by aaltje on 1/24/14
Read Review

Oliver S 2 2 Blouse & Pleated Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-3T )
Oliver   S 2   2 Blouse & Pleated Skirt Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-3T )

Details
Price: $13.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Ethan Shirt Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Ethan Shirt Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

PerfectFuse Medium Black
PerfectFuse Medium Black

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Paradiso Designs Kimono Jacket Formula Pattern
Paradiso Designs Kimono Jacket Formula Pattern

Details
Price: $13.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN