SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Weird issue with my Bernina ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Weird issue with my Bernina
temporarily possessed
LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

Date: 12/28/12 1:53 AM

Last night I was in the middle of a project, when all of a sudden my B330 started acting funny. I'd press the foot pedal and I'd get two slow stitches, then she'd stop. If I continued pushing the pedal all the way down, nothing happened. Let off the pedal, try again, get the same two stitches, then stop, repeatedly. Finally turned her off, let her sit for a few minutes, then started her back up and she was back to normal. She's only a year old, not a whole lot of use in that time. Should I be concerned? I'm hoping it was just some fluke thing that won't happen again. Anyone else experience anything like this?

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Ellure Plus BLR3
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 237 converted to treadle
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 12/28/12 2:00 AM

Electricity issue? Like an iron plugged into the same circuit or need for a UPS? Just a thought.

Does it run fine with the start-stop button? That might tell you it's a problem with the foot pedal.

I have never used the foot pedal that came with my 240, which is probably like your 330's. I borrow one from another Bernina, to have the heel tap needle control.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 12/28/12 2:13 AM

Good questions...The iron was plugged in. I normally have the iron in my bedroom and take my machine out into the dining room when I sew, but last night I set the machine up in the bedroom to work on something real quick. Didn't even occur to me that it might pose an issue. The iron does power off after a few minutes (by the time I started sewing, it should have been off), but still worth noting in the future.

I didn't try the start-stop button, but that will definitely be the first thing I do if it happens again (hoping not!).

Thanks for giving me things to think about!
-- Edited on 12/28/12 2:13 AM --

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 12/28/12 2:25 AM

Just one thing I can think of, if the thread was caught around or under the spool cap or spindle, and you might not see it like this unless you remove the thread to check if it is tangled, maybe the machine might stall if it senses tension that should not be there. I know it will do this if there is a thread tangle off the spool when I am bobbin winding, the machine slows and then stops to prevent damage.
I'd look for that before you call your dealership as that may be the reason it occurred.
Otherwise if its not a tangled thread, turning off, waiting a few minutes, then turning on will reset everything in the computer's brain to default settings. One thing I want to ask is whether you have it on a UPS surge protector? Especially if you are running an iron on the same circuit as your sm...
If there is fluctuation in electrical supply with loss of power or spikes of power this can be really bad for any computerised machine. UPS battery back up surge unit will mean if the power supply coming in fails temporarily the battery support is there to deliver constant supply to the machine. Worth the small investment into a really good unit to protect your Bernina investment.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 12/28/12 2:33 AM

I had a problem with my B330's foot pedal. Sometimes, even if I floored the pedal, the machine would not sew. If I moved the pedal's cable slightly, the pedal would work normally. I could also sew with the start stop button, with no problems, aside from the loss of precision control,

The dealer replaced the cable for me, and I now have a machine that does exactly what my foot tells it to do
-- Edited on 12/28/12 2:37 AM --

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

In reply to iSewQuiltArt <<

Date: 12/28/12 2:34 AM

I think the thread was fine. I had just recently re-threaded it and made sure it was fine with a test-sew, and the weirdness happened mid-project, and once I restarted the machine it was back to normal. Again, something to keep in mind though. Late-night sewing means my brain isn't likely to think of these things on my own.

I do need to get a surge protector for my machine. Sheer laziness on my part for not doing it so far. Every time I plug it in I think about it. Will get one this weekend for sure

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

In reply to andye <<

Date: 12/28/12 2:39 AM

Interesting. I hope this doesn't happen with mine again, but I will definitely try the start/stop button to verify if it's the pedal or not.

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

kathleen1304

kathleen1304  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 5/19/05
Send Message

Date: 12/28/12 4:15 AM

I occasionally have a silly problem like that with my old 801. The pedal has a plug that sticks way out. When I push on the pedal and I'm on thick pile the plug can detach itself, pulled upward by the weight of my foot against the carpet. Just a silly simple problem. Isn't that always the way?

------
Impossible you say? Nothing is impossible when you work for the circus!

Let's make Better Mistakes Tomorrow

CJ Tinkle
star
CJ Tinkle
Intermediate
Member since 2/5/06
Send Message

Date: 12/28/12 5:59 AM

Yes make sure both the power cord and the food pedal cord are firmly plugged in.

------
Bernina Artista 630 ✂ Bernina Aurora 430 ✂ Bernina 830e Record ✂ Bernina 1300MDC ✂ Babylock BLCS ✂ APQS Millennium ✂ Singer 201-2 ✂ Singer 301 ✂ Singer 401A ✂ Singer 15-91 ✂ Singer Featherweight 222K ✂ Singer Featherweight 221

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to LaurenEmme <<

Date: 12/28/12 7:07 AM

Items plugged in still take juice...so just because the iron turned off doesn't mean it was not drawing power. Hope this issue was a one-timer.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Weird issue with my Bernina

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Christine Jonson Swing Shirt

Christine Jonson Swing Shirt

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Equinox Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Lutterloh 2005

photo
by: Baja Susan...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.