SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > gown for a cruise ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
gown for a cruise
fabric for this pattern
compozer
compozer
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/28/12 11:35 PM

http://www.decadesofstyle.com/vintage-patterns-1930s/3014-1930s-leading-lady-gown

I feel in love with this pattern when I stopped at a small fabric store yesterday. I use to sew everything but after finger numbness from two herniated discs 22 years ago I gave up sewing but I decided I want to try again. Got to get off this computer at night and do something constructive. Sewing use to be so relaxing for me. I can't remember one fabric from another anymore so I need to do a road trip to find something. Not really much around here - the shop I was at was very expensive. Nancy's Notions isn't too far away but I haven't been there in 22 years so not sure what fabrics they carry anymore. I plan to make it in muslin first and maybe even make it up in a short version. I want the dress for a cruise the end of March.
I was just wondering if any of you have seen this pattern or the dress completed or have any suggestions for fabric I can use. I'd love it in black (I'm a 14) or a rich gold/copper. I just found this site today and have spent a couple hours reading thru it. Sounds like a great place for help and support. Thanks in advance.

tlmck3
star
tlmck3
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 7/11/05
Send Message

In reply to compozer <<

Date: 12/28/12 11:50 PM

It's calling out for a silk charmeuse, which is slinky and drapey but also slippery and can be difficult to cut and sew. It's also expensive. Combined with the "advanced" level of the pattern, it may be a bit too much pressure to use such an expensive fabric for your first attempt in 22 years. It looks like there's a lot of bias cutting going on there, which can be challenging.

------
I am going for a level of perfection that is only mine... Most of the pleasure is in getting that last little piece perfect...Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just keep showing up and doing the work.

Chuck Close, painter, printmaker, photographer

Hope has two lovely daughters: Anger and Courage

St. Augustine

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 3:54 PM

There's a great PR class on seeing slippery and drapery fabrics. So much has changed in 20+ years- machines, fabric, threads, our body shapes, etc. Welcome to PR! I have learned so much from everyone here. Keep us posted.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 4:15 PM

One other thing to consider- what cruise line are you sailing with? Carnival has done away with formal night and has gone to "Elegant", NCL has "Dress Up or Not" nights, RCI's "Formal" recommendation is a cocktail dress.

Also, you're sailing during Spring Break- I think that might be even more casual, although it will depend on the line and the length of the cruise.

compozer
compozer
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 4:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I did see that class and was planning to view it. We are going on Princess and it is a 28 day trip. We just returned from 21 days of sailing and I have never seen so many tuxes and formals - it was neat. I think many on the longer cruises get dressed up since they are older and we really won't get any spring breakers. Although some of us act like it. I got my husband a tux for this last one and now he wants a white diner jacket.

I have been looking at fabrics on line and it is just too hard to tell. I may take a road trip later to Chicago and check out a couple places. Or better yet, talk my husband into a trip down south - use to visit some great stores in Atlanta and two years ago stopped at a fantastic one in Sarasota, Fl. First thing is to get the pattern and get the size correct. But I'm always thinking ahead.

Thanks again for the help.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 8:30 PM

I moved to Sarasota! What store? I would love to find one with nice fabrics. You will love the class- I am in it. Sarah V is one of the best educators. I have some teal charmeuse and that pattern would be fantastic but that material is so hard to manage. I am wondering about a knit spandex in a shorter, more casual version. Are you going to have to buy a new sewing machine after these 22 years?

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

compozer
compozer
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 9:46 PM

Two years ago is a long time ago for me to remember but I think it was Boca Bargoons. I did a google search and remember parking across the street and from the street view, I think that was the place. Can't remember if we stopped at a couple different ones. But this was a pretty high end store. My decorator friend recommended it. Their website is down otherwise I could tell if they did any inside shots.

I also think a knit spandex would be great. The older I get, the more wiggle room I like. I have so much to do around the house but am so psyched to get started on it.

I am anxious to see the class video. Just need some time alone to watch it.

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 7:25 AM

I think that must be a new pattern as I haven't seen it before - which would be why there aren't any reviews around. I love it (I adore 1930s evening gowns) but it certainly does look like a challenging pattern. Perhaps use a polyester charmeuse instead of silk, or a crepe or crepe satin. I don't know your budget but I rather agree with the other commenter that it might be expensive and risky to use silk charmeuse under these circumstances, and for a one-time (or seldom) worn dress. The silk would be lovely of course but it would be hard to handle. In any case, try making it up in a cheaper fabric first as practice.

Good luck - do let us know how it goes!

compozer
compozer
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 11:20 AM

I believe it is a new pattern. When I did a search of it, one site had a big NEW under it. Someone asked about sewing machines. I have a Bernina and two Elnas and they seem fine. I need to see if I will want to do more sewing before I think about a new one.

I did want to ask about the lining. I really should wait until I get the pattern and look for myself. Again, I'm thinking ahead of myself. I never have been into wedding dresses or formals (only have one son) - I've made my dh suits - even leather ones so I use to be an advanced sewer. Can't remember when I last did something in a slinky fabric other than lingerie so do these dresses have separate linings (don't think I'd want to underline it) so how do you treat it. I thought of just attaching it at the bodice and maybe not making it identical to the skirt (since it is really wide) - more like a loose slip.
Thanks

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
Send Message

Date: 1/2/13 2:56 AM

The pattern says it's fully lined, and given that the lining fabric requirements are the same as for the main fabric, I imagine it's cut alike. Your ideas seem good to me. Definitely attach it just at the neck and armholes. Another possibility might be to make (or buy) a separate straighter cut slip, but I'm not sure whether the dress has a skirt side seam. If it doesn't, the side seam allowance of the slip could show as a line.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> gown for a cruise

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Class Details

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Advance Pattern Company 5578 (vintage)

photo
by: SewMentalM...

Review
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

More Info
Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.