Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > Leaving a job ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Leaving a job
Curious RE others' experiences
HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Login to reply to this post

Date: 12/29/12 11:13 AM

Has anyone left a perfectly good job (in the sense that the salary, benefits, and people were fine) just because you didn't like it anymore? By that I mean you wake up every morning and dread going to work, and come home every night and feel like you just wasted 8 hours of your life. If so, did you regret it afterward?

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
CO USA
Member since 2/7/04

Date: 12/29/12 11:25 AM

Have I left? Not yet.

No answers or advice here, but here's what I've been thinking:

Do I need something in my life outside work? Just why do I dread it? What do I want? Am I being careful as I consider the next step?

Finally, to share, as I bet this is not at all helpful for you, Harriet: I crave a big change in my life, I crave excitement, and this is my fantasy: I go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, I catch a slow freighter across the Pacific with my journal and a few books. I drop everything and go to art school.

And I breathe.

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10

Date: 12/29/12 11:40 AM

Annie, that's actually very helpful -- it tells me I'm not alone in this.

I even know exactly what I want to do with my time. The problem (if it is a problem) is that I would be financially dependent on my husband and I wouldn't be saving money for retirement anymore. OTOH, if I do pursue what I'm interested in, that could turn into a more enjoyable career for me. It probably would never be as lucrative as my current job, and of course there are no guarantees of success. I THINK I would be happier, but I'm not sure.

Bobbinnoli
Bobbinnoli
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 7/13/10

thumbsup 4 members like this.
Date: 12/29/12 11:45 AM

I quit a perfectly good job (as far as pay, benefits, co-workers were concerned) in January 2000 because I absolutely HATED the work itself. I had worked my way up the ladder, was good at my job, well-respected, etc., but I never once looked forward to going in to work in the morning. It's the absolute best decision I ever made. Fortunately, I am blessed to have a husband who is very supportive of my hobbies, etc., and he makes a good salary, so I was able to stop working altogether. We made some adjustments to our lifestyle, and I have not ever once had one regret.
The ONLY thing I miss is the paycheck. And now it's been so long that we really don't miss it anymore.
It's funny, when I am doing something most people think is a menial task, or gross, like cleaning the toilet or picking up dog poop from the back yard, I find myself thinking that I would rather be doing this than sitting behind my desk doing my old job. I LOVE my life now, I'm happier, healthier, and haven't looked back.

jeanau
jeanau
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 4/19/07

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 12/29/12 11:45 AM

It really sucked my soul when I had a job that I hated. At first I just felt intensely negative while I was at work...but then my feelings grew stronger and stronger until it affected all of me all of the time. I was able to gracefully extract myself because of a pregnancy. When I returned to work a few years later I looked for a job that still had the parts I liked about my field...but didn't have the "environment" of the job I hated. I was fortunate to be able to make this change, and I ended up working happily for 23 more years. Think hard and define what it is that you like about your job, and what it is you don't like. If you don't do this, then it is too easy to end up feeling the same way all over again, just in a different place! Good luck to you.

Bobbinnoli
Bobbinnoli
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 7/13/10

In reply to HarrietHomeowner <<

Date: 12/29/12 11:49 AM

I just wanted to add that as far as being dependent on your husband, that is something to consider. We discussed that before I quit my job, and worked it out so that part of his paycheck is directly deposited into my own personal checking account, so that I don't have to "ask" for anything. It's worked out great, because I still have my own money. And, I get a "raise" every year. There are those who will say that "if something happens" then I'm screwed, but I do have the skills from my old (awful) job to fall back on if need be. I am also lucky that I am older than my husband, so I will be collecting social security before he retires.

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06

In reply to HarrietHomeowner <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/29/12 11:54 AM

Quote: HarrietHomeowner
Has anyone left a perfectly good job just because you didn't like it anymore? ...you wake up every morning and dread going to work

Nope, not unless I have an offer for another job.

In my first career, I was an ad writer. I had incredible longevity in the business compared to many other writers and artists, and I believe part of that was my philosophy about, "Stay on the train." My salary would go up and down, I'd move for money, advancement, novelty, security, happiness, or just because it beefed up my resume, but I always strove to stay employed.

It's just BETTER when an interviewer asks you,
"And what are you doing now?"

Dread is a clear signal that it's time to start looking. The last time I did it (last year), I was mentally prepped that, in this market, it might take me MONTHS to land another job. As it turned out: it just took me a week and I got an offer on the first job I applied for.

j.
maryl
star
maryl
Intermediate
MA USA
Member since 6/24/05

thumbsup 3 members like this.
Date: 12/29/12 12:05 PM

I always tried to line up a new job before I quit my old one.

I am finally retired now, but glad that I worked for so long. We've been able to help our children financially. We can travel. We are far from wealthy, but really don't need to worry about money. That is such a blessing.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09

Date: 12/29/12 12:38 PM

The last five years that I worked, retired now, were awful. The alarm would go off and I would lay there thinking if there was anyway I could call in sick for the day.
The prior 15 years of that job were great. I couldn't wait to go to work each day. I loved what I was doing and was getting paid a lot to do it. The company where I worked was bougth out and things changed so much that it took all the fun out of it. I stuck it out because I was so close to retirement age that it made no sense to leave such a good paying job w/benifits at that time in my life.
If you are going to change jobs do it before you run out of time.
If I had it to do over I would change jobs even if it ment a large cut in pay. The stress of going to a job I hated was not worth it.

------
Ada

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07

Date: 12/29/12 2:17 PM

I did, but to go to another job. My old job was changing and in spite of 19 years there, I was just going to be shuffled into something I didn't want to do, the sense of family and collegiality that had been there for many years was gone and the thought of going back was dreadful.

Though the exit from that job was not pleasant and there have been things in the new one that were pretty awful, I do not regret the decision to change for a moment. I miss a couple of the people, but that's it.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Leaving a job

Merchants on PR
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!
Style Arc sewing dress patterns
Patterns That Fit
Web site
Victoria Jones Collection
Timeless Hawaiian styles
Web site
So Vintage Patterns
Thank You for Joining!
Deals!
Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover
Made In Australia
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Online Sewing Classes
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Clone Your Favorite Garment

KnipMode Magazine 02-2011-12
photo
Review by treefrog on 7/18/11
Read Review

By Hand London Anna Dress
By Hand London Anna Dress

Details
Price: $23.39
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Colette Patterns Ceylon Pattern (1009)
Colette Patterns Ceylon Pattern (1009)

Details
Price: $18.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Self Drafted Pattern 36361-1000
photo
Review by JEF on 2/25/09
Read Review

Maria Denmark Olivia Oversize Tee Digital Pattern
Maria Denmark Olivia Oversize Tee Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Oliver S Firefly Jacket Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-4 )
Oliver   S Firefly Jacket Digital Pattern ( Size 6m-4 )

Details
Price: $9.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

PerfectFuse Medium Black
PerfectFuse Medium Black

Details
Price: $8.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern
You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

Details
Price: $22.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN