SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Boy Quilt Patterns ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Boy Quilt Patterns
Sewncooknmom
Sewncooknmom
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/2/12
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 6:35 PM

My ds is asking me to make him a quilt. First, let me say that I am a beginning quilter. But I would love to fulfill his request. Especially because I have made quite a few clothes for my dd.

Does anybody know any good patterns or books for making a boy's quilt? Oh! I should add that he is almost 12. So, no baby stuff. Even though I love baby stuff, I don't think that my ds would appreciate it.

Thank you!

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/29/12 7:24 PM

I really like a rail fence quilt. It's super easy and very gender neutral. It works well with all colors - browns and blues and creams if you want a more traditional boy look or red and white and blue for some color but still not feminine etc.

Here's a google image search: rail fence quilt pictures

There are tons of free patterns for this too but you can pretty much figure it out by looking at a picture.

Got another one! What about an Irish Chain Quilt? Also, a great quilt for a beginner and you can use masculine colors if you wish. Here's a good page about single, double, and triple Irish Chain quilts: Generations quilt page

JEF
-- Edited on 12/29/12 7:33 PM --

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Sewncooknmom <<

Date: 12/29/12 7:52 PM

I am a beginner quilter too. I am having lots of luck with bigger squares (10") and lattice strips. There is not so much cutting and it is easier for me to square things up with bigger pieces. You could use colors or prints that he likes-teams, sports etc. Then I quilt in the ditch or follow the outline of the prints-I haven't mastered FMQ yet. I also like pre-cut squares but you are limited to the prints in the collection. Most of the pre-cuts I have found are flowers etc. I am finding there are so many simple patterns so your options of limitless. I am sure some of the experts on here will have some good ideas.

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 7:59 PM

How about a log cabin quilt in colors that he loves? The piecing is all straight lines. You could also do the classic guy thing and use plaid or if your budget allows it use menswear say wool suiting for the quilt. A lower budget but still manly way to go is cotton shirtings.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

Franksdottir

Franksdottir
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/29/12 8:37 PM

It is harder to find nice prints for boys than for girls. Generally I use sports prints for boys, but not all boys are into sports. But if they are, there are usually enough prints for each sport. When my friend's grandson was born, his father went to college on a hockey scholarship, so I used a lot of hockey prints with some others for his baby quilt.

My own son is 21. I made him a top in blues and gold (not quilted yet) because he painted his room those colors. But I have also made him some pillowcases with dreadful skulls and other horrible things which he really likes. I have to admit, with some scraps I did make a couple of blocks with those skulls, and it tickles my funnybone to see something so, you know, icky, sewn up into something so domestic as a quilt block.

There are also a number of outdoors prints, if he is interested. Fishing, sailing, wildlife, aquatic birds, and many prints with western themes; horses, cowboys, bison, vistas and the like.

So there are enough prints around for boys who are not babies, but you do have to actively look for them.

------
Barb

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 11:37 PM

I have 2 boys. There's actually a lot of quilting fabric out there suitable for boys, and not all sports-related. Dinosaurs, aliens, robots, dogs, tools, planets and stars.... My guys also love batiks.

Connecting Threads recently had a line of fabrics with gears, circuits, zigzags that my sons both liked. CT fabrics are less expensive than most quilt shop fabrics, and decent quality.

I Spy (various novelty prints) are often just squares, with or without sashing. Easy.

Another easy, fun pattern is Bento Box. Uses 2.5" strips, precuts or your own.

Boys love quilts :)

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

Skye
star
Skye  Friend of PR
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 11:42 PM

Many moons ago when my teen DS reqested a quilt we both looked at quilt patterns and he coloured many different blocks until he came up with a colour scheme then we both went to the fabric shop and selected the fabric.

------
Wellington, NZ

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 12/29/12 11:45 PM

There are also a lot of music type fabric out in neutrals, I also noticed a lot of novelty marvel comic lines and sci fi lines. If he's into pirates and skulls there are heaps of skull/ Skelton theme

I think the trick with these novelty prints is to keep the line between retro or cool (or whatever the current phrase is) and corny. A little goes a long way. A square in a square or a chunky log cabin is a good bet let the fabric do the work

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
AZ USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/30/12 9:55 AM

Quote: Sewncooknmom
My ds is asking me to make him a quilt. First, let me say that I am a beginning quilter. But I would love to fulfill his request. Especially because I have made quite a few clothes for my dd.

Does anybody know any good patterns or books for making a boy's quilt? Oh! I should add that he is almost 12. So, no baby stuff. Even though I love baby stuff, I don't think that my ds would appreciate it.

Thank you!

What activities is he into? Plays in the school band (music notes of various colors in a quilt), or football? Baseball? Just tossing out ideas, as you know best what activites he likes and can use those as the main them.

Ah Easy Patterns - Check out the Quilt for Kids webite patterns typicall larger blocks of main fabric, then an easy 4 patch... not to hard to make and his "activity" get's more attention being the main larger squares.

Can't wait to see what you come up with ***Photo's*** :-)

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 12/30/12 10:31 AM

I am currently at the quilting stage in two boy quilts - one young man is 12 and one is 10, and I just did strip quilts from left over jammies I have made over the years in flannel. Working out well - not beautiful but manly.And strip quilts go together fast - you sew strips of whatever width you like and then combine the strips into the quilt top, back, batting, binding and you are done. It isn't quite that fast for mw because I am slow, but in general it is a fast quilt. Not done yet but here's a quick picture to see what I mean.

Boy Scrap Quilt

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Boy Quilt Patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2007-119

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Favorite Things Little Nightie Night Pattern

Favorite Things Little Nightie Night Pattern

Buy Now
Fit For Art Eureka! Pants that Fit Pattern

Fit For Art Eureka! Pants that Fit Pattern

Buy Now
McCall's 6042

photo
by: sanell

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.