SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Regional Communities > Sewers in the United Kingdom: where do you source your fabrics? ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewers in the United Kingdom: where do you source your fabrics?
Let's share info and knowledge about great fabric sellers
vivadiva
vivadiva
Intermediate
Member since 11/24/11
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 6:21 AM

I am hoping this hasn't been discussed before, but I'm interested to hear where other British sewers buy their fabrics from. Given that old haunts of mine (like John Lewis) have a pitiful choice of fabrics, and some fabrics are really expensive, I'm keen to try new vendors. I have bought online from Fabricland.co.uk and tissu. I'm waiting for an order from cheap fabrics.co.uk. Are there any other gems out there, anyone else knows about?

twinkle72
star
twinkle72
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/30/12 6:57 AM

In London, you can go to Goldhawk Road in Shepherd's Bush and SoHo also has independent fabric stores. Goldhawk Rd has bargains, SoHo is expensive. Joel and Sons near Bakerloo is very expensive but oh so nice.
On line, I have used Truro Fabrics, Dots N Stripes, Linton Tweeds, and Stone Fabrics.
I have toyed with ordering fabrics from Denmark (Stof and Stil) or Germany, but I have never actually done it. It seems to confusing, though customs wouldn't be an issue like ordering from the USA is. I wish I knew a way to get Italian milled fabrics online from Italy directly. It seems cheaper to buy them via the USA!

petro
starstarstar
petro  Friend of PR
Advanced
France
Member since 6/24/07
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 7:56 AM

If you are in London and want to see what you buy you have a lot of choice - to those mentioned I'd definitely add Shaukat - cheaper liberty prints and silks. Several markets are very good.
this blog http://didyoumakethat.wordpress.com/ has a shopping guide which has some outlets I haven't tried yet too. African prints and some Indian brocades - try Petticoat Lane area. Melissa writes about Goldhawk Road and Walthamstow market here http://www.fehrtrade.com/tag/city-guides/
McCullough and Wallis of course, not that far from John Lewis, not cheap but good selection.
Here's another blog list
http://veryberryhandmade.co.uk/about/big-list-of-uk-fabric-shops/
Brick Lane has some smaller fabric shops.
I have never been to Birmingham, but I understand that the fabric market there is exceptional.

------
http://patternpandemonium.wordpress.com/

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
United Kingdom
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 8:41 AM

As far as online shopping goes, I use mainly eBay to buy fabric both new and second-hand and although this is definitely a riskier way to buy fabrics I would say overall I've had way more success than failure. I also keep an eye on Croft Mill have a range of fabrics at reasonable prices. My main problem with CM is the flat £6 for postage, which makes small purchases expensive.

If you want bricks and mortar, I can only speak to the north-west of England where I live. Abakhan have quite a few outlets spread around the region. I live about 40 mins from Lancaster, and I highly recommend Fabrix in the town centre (difficult to find if you don't know the one-way system, it's easiest to park in Sainsbury's and cross the road). In addition to having a decent range of garment fabrics and patterns, the ladies at the counter are ultra nice and helpful.

Finally, for home dec there is the Standfast factory shop, which is probably my favourite place on earth. Standfast print all the big name home dec designer fabrics for the UK market (Romo, Villa Nova, Harlequin, Sanderson & Sons, William Morris, Liberty etc etc etc), and they sell mis-prints, end of rolls and remnants for tiny sums of money compared to the retail price. I've made bags for from fabrics that cost £150/m if you go into a home dec fabric shop because I can buy it for £1/m). They have no online presence, their hours are very restricted and the car park is awful. I don't know how I'll manage when I move away in the New Year! D:

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

twinkle72
star
twinkle72
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 11:11 AM

Now I am keen to go to Lancaster, and to check out the Birmingham market! Thanks for the tips:)

Lisa p
star
Lisa p  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 12/6/08
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 12:01 PM

I live in Cumbria and that is pretty remote from most places. I tend to shop online quite a bit . I can heartily reccomend Tissu ( I use them lots for knits. I have been to Fabrix in Lancaster and it is great and I would seriously go with the parking in Sainsbury's . There is a pretty local to me shop at Penrith that is fabulous. They are online but the shop is a goldmine and has so much more. They are called Just Sew Penrith

I have used the following and are great

Ditto
Stone Fabrics
Iana Fabrics on Ebay

Also if anyone is travelling to Lancaster you must call in to Preston Market. Some fab stalls there. There is one man that sells Liberty prints cheap he sells on ebay but they are more alot more expensive on there than he charges on the stall.
-- Edited on 12/30/12 12:03 PM --

------
Sewing Photos.
http://s550.photobucket.com/user/crazyfool1974/slideshow/2014%20sewing

Lisa p
star
Lisa p  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 12/6/08
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 12:10 PM

Also try

Dragon Fly fabrics

Fabric Godmother

Fabric Magic

SewBox

M is for Make
--
-- Edited on 12/30/12 12:17 PM --

------
Sewing Photos.
http://s550.photobucket.com/user/crazyfool1974/slideshow/2014%20sewing

Clareew
star
Clareew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 5/10/06
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 3:08 PM

I second the recommendation fro Just Sew in Penrith. Although I live in Southampton, I often holiday in the Lake District and have a number of fabrics in my stash from Just Sew.

There is a new fabric shop in Southampton called Classic Fabrics They are really friendly and are running courses and also you can go along with a non fitting garment and they will help you fit it. Quote:'Just for dressmakers. Bring the garment you are making, tacked together, and ready for a fitting. For £5 you will be given 15 minutes with Classical Fabrics’ seamstress, Anna, for a pinned fitting.'

They do not have a vast range of fabrics but what they do have is really good.

------
Clare

Machines: Juki F600, Juki 654 serger, Bernina 550 for art work, Janome Coverpro 1000cp barely used
A Singer Featherweight Centennial and an old Necci in the loft waiting for TLC

http://art-by-clare.blogspot.co.uk/

rmusic1
starstar
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

In reply to twinkle72 <<

Date: 12/30/12 4:02 PM

if you would like some italian wool my local favourite fabric shops (Anglian fashion fabrics, Norwich) have got some very nice coating weight cashmere/wool blend pieces. I bought 3.9 meters for £35, bargain! The owner said the stuff he had bought was made for designer houses and he had off cuts.

There were several colours/fabric finishes to choose from. They are very good about sending samples if you want them to send you some. Despite having bought my coat fabric I could be seen lingering over some lovely bright red coating. It was so hard to walk away.....

DianaFF
DianaFF
Advanced Beginner
Florida USA
Member since 12/15/12
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 4:14 PM

I live in the US, but stayed in London in Shepherd's Bush last year. As mentioned before, there are some shops there. Quite a few, in fact. I was looking for wool and stumbled into a fabric store in hopes they could tell me where to find some. (They did- John Lewis.)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Regional Communities >> Sewers in the United Kingdom: where do you source your fabrics?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

McCall's 6470

photo
by: wingamajig

Review
Paradiso Designs Perfect Pillows Pattern

Paradiso Designs Perfect Pillows Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Child's Hawaiian Muumuu Dress or Nightgown

Victoria Jones Collection Child's Hawaiian Muumuu Dress or Nightgown

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.