SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Prevention Magazine ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Prevention Magazine
Are you a subscriber?
PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 1:43 PM

Just got a "teaser" in the mail with a picture of Dr. Oz on the front......he seems to be everywhere!

If you are a subscriber, is Prevention like other magazines where you may get one really good issue out of 12?

If you are a former subscriber, why did you cancel?

Looking at the subjects in the teaser, I am thinking "if all this worked, we wouldn't need Drs, hospitals and pharmacies." Just kidding.

-- Edited on 12/30/12 1:45 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/30/12 3:04 PM

PattiAnnJ-- I used to subscribe for years! Loved the articles, always quick to read and loved taking it to the gym to read while on the treadmill and the recipes are great. You can pretty much get all the info online now. I cancelled because I was tired of the pushing of the Biggest Loser diet but also, every month they seemed to have a new diet to promote and articles like: Super Foods that May Prevent Cancer--operative word was May---it may prevent cancer and it may not--nothing definitive--I just found the articles to be repetitive after a few years. HTH

------
Carpe diem!

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/30/12 7:31 PM

I had a subscription to Prevention for over 10 years. I really loved the ability to change your life by changing your diet; if only more people would read this. As a result of my subscription, I had access to many therapeutic books, as well as gardening books at a seriously discounted price. What made me stop my subscription was I was studying to get my BSNH (Bachelor Science Natural Health) degree and couldn't find the time (or money) to continue. Then I learned a lot from studying for my degree, I didn't see the need.

Your comment is right: If all this worked, we wouldn't need drs, hospitals and pharmacies. And I would like to emphasize "pharmacies", without stepping on anyone's toes. Prescription meds, although very helpful to some, treat only the problem and not the body as a whole. But I won't go further here.

Get the magazine; you'll learn a lot!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 2:32 PM

Thanks for the input.

------

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/31/12 3:14 PM

It's good, and I got it for several years, BUT after one or two years, it is all the same stuff over and over, and with just about the same pictures. Same cover too; some woman smiling like she had a lobotomy, and you will also get reams of junk mail from the publishers wanting to sell you more and more stuff (Rodale's).
-- Edited on 12/31/12 3:21 PM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

CSM--Carla
star
CSM--Carla  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 1/21/06
Send Message

In reply to Mufffet <<

Date: 12/31/12 4:21 PM

Quote: Mufffet
It's good, and I got it for several years, BUT after one or two years, it is all the same stuff over and over, and with just about the same pictures. Same cover too; some woman smiling like she had a lobotomy, and you will also get reams of junk mail from the publishers wanting to sell you more and more stuff (Rodale's).
-- Edited on 12/31/12 3:21 PM --

SO TRUE! And the cover model is always size 0, beautiful and young.

Instead of Prevention, I keep up with recent studies and publications from Happy Healthy Librarian at her blog or Facebook page. She's a medical librarian at Cleveland Clinic. You don't need to be a member of FB to see her page.

She reviews all the recent studies from multiple sources and places them on her site.

Also consider getting Peoples Pharmacy updates--I've learned so much from them.

Facebook Happy Healthy Librarian

Peoples Pharmacy

Buy Fabric with the money you save on Prevention Magazine.
Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to CSM--Carla <<

Date: 12/31/12 8:05 PM

Quote:
She's a medical librarian at Cleveland Clinic
Wow! From what I've been hearing from friends about Cleveland Clinic, this person you mention is an angel. The clinic, I've been told, is awesome!
Just the information on Vitamin D is noteworthy.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 9:07 PM

As far as the size of the "model" on the cover of the "teaser", he looks like (maybe) a 30" x 32"! It is Dr. Oz.

------

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

In reply to CSM--Carla <<

Date: 12/31/12 9:56 PM

Thank you for directing me to the Happy Healthy Librarian! Her info is invaluable!

------
Carpe diem!

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 1/3/13 8:00 PM

I've been getting Prevention for years. I did let it go a couple of years ago due to the plethora of advertisements within the magazine for prescription drugs! I think they got the message by way of complaints and there are very few ads for those anymore.

I like the recipes. Their goal is to get you motivated and what one person may respond to may turn another off but they keep bringing on the new ideas to inspire each month. There is always a large pamphlet tucked in that you think may have some good health info but is just a big sales pitch for Belly Fat Diet, etc., published by Rodale, of course, which I immediately throw into the recycle bin.

I'm not too inspired by recent celebrity covers, Marie Osmond and especially the issue with Paula Dean on the cover proclaiming her new healthy lifestyle.Those people kind of skirt around the facts in the interviews but I enjoy the articles with success of "real" people.

Overall, it can be a good read if you are looking for motivation and some nice recipes.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Prevention Magazine

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 06/01/2013

photo
by: lacroise1

Review
Runaround Bag

Runaround Bag

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Sewing Workshop Zona Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.