SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Paper Piecing? ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Paper Piecing?
Any tips?
bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 2:50 PM

I'm starting my first a paper piecing project: a fairly simple storm at sea Bali kit from Connecting Threads.

Any hints or tips?

Thx!

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 3:36 PM

Follow the instructions as to the size to cut the fabric, sometimes I've thought gee that's a waste of fabric and cut the fabric different to get more out of it when the piece didn't cover once it was flipped.

Other than that I use tracing paper for patterns. I just use the pass thru tray feed them in one at a time.

I like paper piecing I'm new to it sort of. I've been doing two Chris Jurd patterns one is the lots of dots block of the month. I like the idea of doing something different each month.

Good luck with yours

m/m

m/m  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 4/4/05
Send Message

Date: 12/30/12 4:41 PM

Carol Doak's book "Show Me How to Paper Piece" has great directions. I think it's worth getting. She's got all of the tips - short stitch, add-a-quarter ruler, etc. She has a website too. A number of years ago I did a Storm at Sea quilt and I've always wished I'd paper pieced it for accuracy's sake. Paper piecing isn't hard but there are little tricks that easily ensure success.

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 12/30/12 4:47 PM

One of the best paper piecing techniques I learned recently was from a website that uses Freezer Paper Foundation Piecing. It is every bit precise as standard paper piecing. I am using it for my Dear Jane Quilt.

Freezer Paper Foundation Piecing

Btw, Connecting Threads has a paper piecing tutorial.

If you look at the Freebie tab on their website there are loads of good tutorials

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 8:00 PM

Finally got to actual sewing, today. Whew! I must say the accuracy is impressive! Even Engineer Hubby noticed. However, I had to increase the stitch length, as stitches were shredding the tracing paper.

Not too bad so far. Only one block needs to be re-done, as put it together backwards....too lazy to pick out all those tiny stitches. It will become a pin cushion. Have enough of everything to re-do the block. Connecting Threads gives a ridiculous surplus of fabric. Good thing!

I have learned that Assembly Line i.e.: doing ALL the same piece for ALL the same blocks at the SAME time is the best route. The blue Bali's are very similar!

Thank you, for all your great info!

------
Brother Innovis NX650Q; Brother Nouvelle 1500; Brother CS6000i; Brother 1034D; Janome 1000CPX

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to bessiemae <<

Date: 12/31/12 8:26 PM

Glad all went well! Good lesson on stitch length... I hate having to pick paper pieced blocks so I've increased my stitch length to about 1.8.

I had to set my Judy Niemeyer pattern aside because of my sewing room reorganization, it has given me plenty of practice.

------

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/31/12 8:49 PM

This is the most amazing paper piecing technique I have seen. George Siciliano!

I don't have his special ruler, but I now keep at small cutting mat at the end of my sewing machine along with an acrylic ruler and rotary cutter.

-- Edited on 12/31/12 8:50 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

bessiemae
bessiemae
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 4/15/06
Send Message

In reply to Warbler <<

Date: 12/31/12 8:51 PM

WOW! That is absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see your completed top!

------

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 12/31/12 9:59 PM

That technique demonstrated by George Siciliano is the same method I learned for my Judy Niemeyer quilt, of course I am working on a different scale but the repetition is the same. I keep a small mat and travel iron all at the end of my sewing table. I lay out my fabric before hand, stacking each piece in order and orientation. I use a glue stick to bond the fabric before I sew, it assures pieces will stay put because some pieces are very long. The big difference is that he does not use an Add A Quarter/Eighth ruler.

Paper Piecing the Judy Niemeyer Way

------

aslinnd

aslinnd
Advanced Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 5/28/07
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 2:04 AM

I love her patterns I watched her you tube vid for the flying south pattern where she sort of sets up a production line to speed up the piecing. I was worried though I wouldn't have staying power for it as watching the vid was hard enough.

I am doing Chris Jurd's lots of dots as a block of the month to keep it smaller and varied. I also have A Passion For Piecing by Claudia Clark Meyers - which has some nice pattern in it at a manageable size to learn off.

Carol Doak of course is great to learn off but her blocks just don't grab me like Neimeyer's but I loved her dvd

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Paper Piecing?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Butterick 5455

photo
by: jnageotte

Review
KnipMode Magazine 01-2012-17

photo
by: Margaret

Review
SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

SewBaby Sleeve Saver Smock Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Easy Pieces Pants Pattern

SewBaby Easy Pieces Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.