SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > Too difficult to copy this gold lace Alice Temperley dress? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Too difficult to copy this gold lace Alice Temperley dress?
Wedding dress
Yesilikethat
Yesilikethat
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/25/06
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 9:05 AM

So I tried on this amazing potential wedding dress from Alice Temperley - you can see it here.Alice Temperley Ariel dress. The only problem is that it costs 2,000 which is just a little bit over budget (ahem).

I've fallen in love with the shape and the gold lace, and I wondered if it's madness to try and make it. I've been sewing for years but never with expensive silk and lace.

It's stretchy French corded gold lace in a simple shape - princess seamed down to the knee, then a triangular fishtail, which you can see quite well in the link. It has a basic princess line green silk slip, but it's only attached at the invisible zip at the back (which is a V shape). The sleeves and neck are finished with (visible) bias binding.

How difficult do you think it would be to make a dress like this? The shape is pretty simple, but working with such beautiful lace would be scary (I can't even find similar gold lace online anywhere). Could I do it by July?

JanyceR
star
JanyceR  Friend of PR
Colorado USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

In reply to Yesilikethat <<

Date: 12/31/12 9:13 AM

I don't think that dress would be extremely difficult to duplicate. Better start now! And lace is surprisingly easy to work with. If you don't already have a copy, I highly recommend Susan Kahlje's Bridal Couture. I think it is available on CD now, or you might be able to find an older print copy. This book is awesome, details different types of lace and how to work with them. Along with many other wonderful tips. I used it to make two quite elaborate wedding gowns for my daughters.

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

unfinishedprojects
starstar
unfinishedprojects  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/26/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/31/12 10:28 AM

Looks very close to this one (which I'm making now): Vogue 2237. I'd say that it's relatively uncomplicated for a designer evening dress.

You could use a t-shirt pattern for the shape of the top of the lace overlay.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

In reply to Yesilikethat <<

Date: 12/31/12 10:39 AM

That is gorgeous! I don't think it will be hard to copy at all. I believe the slip is gold though, not green.
If you don't already own a walking foot you might want to invest in one.

Yesilikethat
Yesilikethat
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/25/06
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 10:54 AM

The one in the image has a gold slip but the one I tried on had a forest green coloured slip for some reason - I really liked it, it added a lovely depth of colour.

Good tip about a walking foot. That Badgley Mischka pattern looks pretty similar, but I'd love to find a princess line bodice pattern with sleeves already in, don't want to mess around drafting them. I guess I could then merge with the fishtail pattern... Hmmm.

I couldn't work out if they matched the lace motifs on the dress or if the random pattern just hid the seams quite well. Having trouble locating nice gold lace online, will have to venture to Goldhawk Road to get some samples I think!

Kim12469
starstarstar
Kim12469
Beginner
Montana USA
Member since 3/27/08
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 11:24 AM

I was just looking through old Burda Mags for something and remember seeing something very similar. 12-2007-107 is very close except it has a scoop neck instead of a boatneck.

12-2007-107

------
http://kimsewsilly.blogspot.com/

sugarduck
star
sugarduck
Intermediate
France
Member since 2/7/10
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 12:36 PM

Gorgeous dress!

There's another Burda magazine pattern that is very similar, from the March 2010 issue (see here). The neckline is a bit lower, but it's drafted for lace and has the princess seams and sleeves, plus the same hemline. I think this would be a great starting off point for your dress.

unfinishedprojects
starstar
unfinishedprojects  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/26/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/31/12 1:05 PM

Tip: if you use a bias binding/french seam type finish on the seam allowances in the slip colour (or skin tone on the armholes) the seams will practically disappear.

A lace with a dense pattern will hide seams well.

MaryDB
star
MaryDB  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 2/9/08
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 2:55 PM

I don't think that dress would be difficult at all to copy. It's beautiful!

Try this vintage Butterick pattern 4415. It's a very 80s style; you'd have to change the sleeve heads, but otherise, it's pretty close.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 4:15 PM

that bladgely mishka piece is a strapless dress and bolero, and it may not be that applicable to the temperly design.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> Too difficult to copy this gold lace Alice Temperley dress?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Simplicity 1954

photo
by: usbeckers

Review
Vogue Patterns 8280

photo
by: Mauude

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Buy Now
Checkbook Cover

Checkbook Cover

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.