SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > how to wash a jelly roll?! ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
how to wash a jelly roll?!
ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 10:56 AM

I'm doing a jelly roll skirt and I had no idea how to prep the fabric. It seems to me I have 2 choices-sew the jelly roll section and finish the edges, then wash and hope it shrinks reasonable even. Or, put the strips in a lingerie bag and wash and dry, and hope the edges aren't premanently killed and hopelessly tangled. I picked up the rolls on clearance at Joann's. I have 2 of them, and one is more then enough to do the skirt, heck one is probably enough to do 2 skirts. But I'm open to suggestions on what to do for the prep. Any ideas are much appreciated.
Mary

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 11:18 AM

No need to pre-wash a jelly roll!

They shrink very minimally. If you are worried about color bleeding, use color catchers for the first wash, and you'll be fine!

------
Cathryn

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 12/31/12 11:31 AM

Cat is right. Do. Not. Wash. A Jelly Roll.

Unless you like to cry.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 12/31/12 1:41 PM

I posted my request and like my typical impatience self, decided to act before waiting for your advice. I washed one of the jelly rolls in a pillowcase. You know with sewing, sometimes you get bad results and usually it's because of something you did wrong. You do it better next time and no problems. This is NOT one of those times.
45 minutes untangling the mess of strips. 25 minutes ironing and trimming the strips more. And the realization that I will have to trim the width of the strips to use them due to the fringing. I will never, ever do this again. I'm truly glad I have 2 of the same rolls, so the skirt will be able to be done. At least I learned my lesson on something cheap, they were less then 5 bucks. I also learned another important lesson-when you ask for advice wait for it before you act Oh well, another learning experience.
Mary

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to ahrizel <<

Date: 12/31/12 9:20 PM

I would never wash a jelly roll because all of the problems of washing yardage is magnified when washing small pieces. If you are worried that it will shrink and not fit I would make the jelly roll into fabric, zig-zag the edges, wash it by hand in the kitchen sink with color catchers, and then gently dry in the dryer.

This is why quilts are so nice, they don't have to fit ladies' curves.

------
Barb

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to ahrizel <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/31/12 9:24 PM

I just read your second post. I extend you my sympathies, but it is true that the most useful knowledge often comes from mistakes.

------
Barb

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 6:43 AM

Thanks for this post. I had toyed around with the idea of jelly strips for my niece's skirt.
I like the idea of serging all into a piece of fabric first. Then I can shrink it in washer before cutting out the pattern. I would not have thought about that way- so glad I am not ironing out my pre-washed strips!

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

HDWen
star
HDWen  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 12/26/11
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 12:19 PM

Oh NO - so sorry to hear about the raveled mess!

Jelly rolls made from good fabric, really don't shrink much! So far the only quilters cotton I've used that shrank a ton, was some cheap stuff from J's...

Well thanks for posting your lesson learned in case other's are here ready to *Wash* and dry!!

:-Debbie

------
I have a great enthusium for sewing, but lack talent to be great.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 1:11 PM

If you feel the need to do this, especially with the dark colors. Do it by hand.

I have washed small pieces in the washer by using the hand wash cycle and placing the pieces in a lingerie bag.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

Date: 1/2/13 6:25 PM

Well, I had 2 jelly rolls. So I took the second, unwashed one. Sewed it together with 1/4 seams, then finished the edges with a zigzag seam to make a piece of fabric. Washed and dried the fabric I made. And got a disaster-several of the seams shredded open. Gotta love Joann's fabric, don't you Thanks goodness my favorite local quilt shop has a big sale going on. It won't take too much to make the stripwork skirt, I'll probably just use 4 different fabrics for the strips, and one fabric for the yoke, banding and shorts that coordinates. I'm glad the jelly rolls were clearance and half price, at least I only wasted a few bucks. They were bright colors and I thought they'd make a cute skirt, so much for that idea. At least what I get at the quilt store will hold together.
Mary

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> how to wash a jelly roll?!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Class Details

McCall's 5668

photo
by: lilyloulad...

Review

Pattern

McCall's M5241

photo
by: ak21

Review
Petite Plus 104 Pattern

Petite Plus 104 Pattern

More Info
SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

SewBaby Casserole Carrier Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.