SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Weird ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Weird
I don't hate cutting out fabric any more
kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/31/12 12:36 PM

I have always described myself as someone who dislikes the process of laying out the pattern and cutting fabric, and loves the sewing and the rest of it. While working on a project a few weeks ago, I realized that wasn't true any more; I enjoyed and was interested in cutting out the fabric! Not sure what changed; I think possibly it's more interesting now that I take time to do the pattern layout thoughtfully (not following the recommended layout so slavishly, but figuring out better ways to do it), and I also am now interested in the fabric itself (grain, etc), as well as modifying pattern pieces, and so on. Anyway, it's a good change, perhaps I have discovered the "zen of cutting fabric" for myself.

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 12/31/12 1:02 PM

Oh good. I have a few things I want to make but need someone to cut them out for me. Do you think So. Calif. is too far for that little joy?

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

Kathi R
star
Kathi R  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/31/12 1:02 PM

Timing is everything, I was just thinking the same thing. Cutting used to be drudge work for me. After planning my cutting sessions around my favorite NPR shows and cutting some fussy projects where I was very careful with how a motif would fall on the finished garment I'm finding that it just isn't that much of a chore. Maybe we are reaching sewing adulthood ... I remember that as a teenager I hated doing laundry but now it is just not a big deal.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 1:05 PM

Oh good, Kathi. There is hope for me. I don't mind laundry either.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

kkkkaty
starstarstar
kkkkaty  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Utah USA
Member since 12/7/05
Send Message

In reply to Sherril Miller <<

Date: 12/31/12 1:16 PM

Quote: Sherril Miller
need someone to cut them out for me. Do you think So. Calif. is too far for that little joy?

Hmm; maybe we could work a trade? A little vaca in So Cal for me while I cut out a few patterns?

------
Viking Lily 545
Viking Ruby
Bernina Activa 210
Brother 1034d

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to Kathi R <<

Date: 12/31/12 1:40 PM

Quote: Kathi R
Maybe we are reaching sewing adulthood ...

Hey, maybe it really IS sewing adulthood!

I used to want to get it all done in one day. I tell you, I do not know HOW I changed, but I did with the advantage that I will now tackle longer projects (a quilt) and higher quality sewing (tailored jackets).

Good for us!

j.

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 7:04 AM

I enrolled in Sarah V's Drapey Fabric class. Finally I discovered my inner zen. I hated cutting. I have a stash and patterns and dreams. Her class made me dig deep inside. I'ld like to beleive I am transformed. At least I am not putting off cutting like I used to. I am finding even a bit of pleasure that I have accomplished cutting something that is ready for sewing.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

In reply to SandiMacD <<

Date: 1/1/13 7:12 AM

Quote: SandiMacD
Finally I discovered my inner zen. I hated cutting. ...dig deep inside. I'ld like to beleive I am transformed.

I tell you, it IS the zen of sewing. The resistance to doing certain tasks need not be condemned, but it would be useful to examine and consider "nudging". Luckily for us, sewing entails a number of completely different steps, which keeps the whole work interesting. Let's try to enjoy all of it.

(Even fitting. Yeech!)

juliette2
star
juliette2
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/18/03
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 7:54 AM

I used to hate cutting, fusing interfacings, and pressing yardage.

As I have learned more about fabric and sewing, my attitude has changed. I now enjoy fusing because it changes the nature and behaviour of the fabric -- it is part of engineering the fabric into a garment. I am beginning to find cutting interesting because of the grain issues and placement of motifs. And pressing yardage? Well, it's still boring, but it's essential so I listen to an audiobook and press steadily over the fabric.

It is a kind of sewing adulthood. These are big changes in my attitude and they have happened because of my increasing skill and knowledge.

I really enjoy handstitching and even basting!

------
It's a custom-made designer original. I made it myself.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 8:06 AM

I've found that having a proper cutting table has made all the difference for me. Now I have the space to lay out fabrics without having them slide off the side. And I can cut now for a period of time without having my back hurt so much. And having the grippy silicone dots on the backs of all my rulers has been a huge help...no more slipping as I get to the end of the cut!

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Weird

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

More Info
Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.