SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Looking for a good vintage machine with needle up/down feature ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Looking for a good vintage machine with needle up/down feature
Needle Down option in Vintage Machines
scram415
scram415
Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/7/12
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 6:45 PM

I am looking for a sturdy vintage sewing machine that has a needle down option. It's one of those things I didn't know I needed, until I knew I needed it.
I am a big fan of vintage machines. I love the fact that I can get yesterday's top of the line machine, for a decent price. I also prefer the all metal construction.

The first machine I bought was a cheap big box Brother (plastic!) that never recovered from attempting to free motion quilt on it. I have a vintage White 77 and a Janome HD1000. Both machines have a metal body but neither of these machines have a needle down option.

I'm thinking about a Bernina 1230 or a Viking 6000 series machine.

This may be a stupid question. Are there any all mechanical machines with a needle down option?

Any input is appreciated.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to scram415 <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 12/31/12 7:25 PM

All my vintage Singers have a needle down option as long as the machine is timed properly and I start sewing with the needle down So if I roll the balance wheel to where the needle is in the fabric, and if the machine is properly timed, it should stay in the fabric when I finish sewing. It works about 90% of the time.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 12/31/12 8:11 PM

Just grab the handwheel and plant the needle in the fabric. That's standard operating procedure.

However, the closest contender you'll find that has a needle-down feature is a Bernina 930, though not all of them have it. On the 930 the needle always stops in the up position. On later models you can plant the needle in the fabric by stepping back on the foot pedal.

The 930 is a fine machine, with a couple of reservations. Mine was not great at sewing knits. The factory setting for the presser foot pressure is excessively heavy, and there is no simple way for the user to adjust it as there is on other vintage machines. I found the feed dogs would make marks in taffeta and other acetate fabrics. It didn't seem to handle tricot well either, though unless you are making lingerie you probably won't ever need to deal with this.

Also, this machine is not all metal there are two plastic gears, which do crack with age. You can get replacements for these, also plastic. A panel on one side of the machine is plastic, and it discolors badly with age.

The other issue is that it's quite expensive for a vintage machine (usually $800+), as are the presser feet (which are no longer made). It's up to you whether it's worth it.

Aside from the price and the plastic gears (which don't fit your criteria for a vintage machine), you might like this machine.

-- Edited on 12/31/12 8:17 PM --

anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 8:36 PM

I saw a trade in bernina 1530 the one with a track wheel. It has a needle up and down, metal construction, made in Switzerland. Also you can tap the foot pedal for the needle up/down feature.

Anne

------
Live what you preach

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

In reply to anne123184 <<

Date: 12/31/12 8:56 PM

Quote: anne123184
I saw a trade in bernina 1530 the one with a track wheel. It has a needle up and down, metal construction, made in Switzerland. Also you can tap the foot pedal for the needle up/down feature.

Anne

All Berninas from the 700 series (mid 60s) onward have plastic gears.
Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 12/31/12 8:56 PM

You can use the "classic" or "old style" feet, which are currently manufactured and sold at Bernina dealers, on the 930. These feet accommodate a max stitch width of 5.5mm. The 930 feet, widely available on ebay, are for 4mm max stitch. So not an exact match, but it works just fine.

Later models (1030, 1130, 1230) have needle up/down.

My 930 came with the hard case, all standard accessories, *many* extra feet and bobbins, recently serviced, $700. I bought it from a quilter and drove to meet her to buy, no tax or shipping. Obviously, she knew its value. People get 930s and other vintage machines for much less, at Goodwill, estate/garage sales, Craigslist etc.

My 930 doesn't have needle down or the heel tap. :(, its only shortcoming.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

scram415
scram415
Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/7/12
Send Message

In reply to Soolip <<

Date: 1/1/13 2:12 AM

Very helpful. Thanks

I think my experience with the Brother LS2521 (Walmart edition) left me with a bad taste for cheap plastic machines. My Janome has some plastic but it is lightyears ahead of the junk made today. I've been looking for the 930.

Thanks for the input.

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 2:29 AM

Industry Definitions:
Vintage = more than 50 years old.
Antique = more than 100 years old.

A Singer 99 with a hand-crank can be adjusted so that the needle is at the top of its cycle when the hand-crank is at the bottom of its cycle. Oh, and you can keep on stitching when the electric goes out.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 1 - woohoo! finished my oldest UFO - an apron cut out in the mid-80s with a pattern from the mid-40s! and the bias binding promptly disintegrated in the wash! Ok, it was from my Great-Grandmother's stash, which means it was bought anytime from the 1910's to 1970's.
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 4
New Projects started in 2014: 5
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 5
bought in 2014: 17.25

I know...I'm procrastinating.

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 7:03 AM

The Viking 6570 has the needle up/down. I think it can be had for less than the Bernina 930. I bought a fully reconditioned one for $350 and it's a very pretty machine in kidney bean red. Then last week I found a Bernina 930 for $75 with a 30% discount at a thrift store. It's missing the accessory box with the extra feet and the extension table. That was more a fluke because these sell for more than twice the price I paid for the Viking. Anyway, look for a reconditioned Viking 6570 to get what you want for a better price than the Bernina. By the way, the Bernina 1230s had a problem with the basting stitch. It would disengage the feed dogs and they would completely stop working. I didn't find out about the problem until after my warranty had expired. I finally had to trade in my 1230 because it continued to give me problems even after sending it to Bernina for repairs.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 7:10 AM

I was looking for a solid machine with needle down. After much research I decided the extra $$$ wasn't worth it. Got a solid inexpensive one and I make the needle down happen with my foot or my hand. I learned that I don't need the needle down very often. I just got used to it on my fancier machine and so I thought I needed it.
What a nice surprise.

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Looking for a good vintage machine with needle up/down feature

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Self Drafted Pattern Grey Lady Dress

photo
by: julliams

Review
Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Making Patterns from Existing Garments - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Sheer Black

PerfectFuse Sheer Black

Buy Now
Silhouette Patterns 175

photo
by: mrsbewley

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.