SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > eliminating shoulder pads

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
eliminating shoulder pads
blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 3:55 PM

I am wanting to make M6172 View A to have just a shorter length blazer. However, the shoulder pads make it look a little like a football linebacker. They are only 1/4". I am just wondering if it would be possible to eliminate them by cutting the shoulders at the next smaller size. If not, does anyone know of a similar jacket pattern without the linebacker look?

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 6:22 PM

No, you can't. The angle of the shoulder seam from neck to shoulder point changes when you eliminate pads. You would also have to change the sleeve cap shape for it to fit correctly.

------
Debbie

sings2high
star
sings2high  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
USA
Member since 11/25/11
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 6:53 PM

I found that every jacket I ever tried on had the linebacker look...because I have wider straighter shoulders than average. I found that most of my clothing in the 80's and 90's fit better if I took out the shoulder pads. The most any of them required was a layer of batting.

------
Measure twice, cut once. While this saying is useful in many ways, I have no qualms about editing my posts.

UFOs completed in 2014: 2
Projects started recently completed in 2014: 6
New Projects started in 2014: 7
Stash:
sewn in 2014: 11.25
bought in 2014: 38.75

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to sings2high <<

Date: 1/1/13 8:06 PM

Agree. I hate shoulder pads and always remove them from my patterns from the 80s-90s. However,, it is rare that I take them out of jackets, opting to use thinner pads and adjusting the seams.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to blessedtosew <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/1/13 8:10 PM

Jackets look slightly better with shoulder pads unless you have wide, square shoulders. You could try using thinner pads.

Here's what I do: Trim slightly off the armhole at the shoulders and taper to a few inches down. Do the same for the shoulder seams, beginning at the armhole and taper for a few inches. Trim a bit off the cap of the sleeve.

The amount trimmed at each place will be half the thickness of the shoulder pad. If just using a thinner pad, use the info in the previouis paragraph.

I looked around for a long time trying to find a way to do this,, and finally found it. I'm almost positive that this info was from Sandra Betzina.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Tbird

Tbird
Expert/Couture
California USA
Member since 8/8/05
Send Message

Date: 1/2/13 3:08 AM

It's not impossible you'd just need to change the shoulder angle by dropping the shoulder seam 1/4" at the armscye. This in theory would decrease the armscye length by 1/2" total. You could compensate by lowering the armhole 1/4" front and back or preferably reduce the ease in the sleeve cap which you'd probably need to do anyways.

It's essentially doing an adjustment for a sloping shoulder. You may find you can just ease the extra bit of sleeve cap in. It depends on the sleeve cap as it is now.

------
http://sewunnecessary.blogspot.com

Tbird

Tbird
Expert/Couture
California USA
Member since 8/8/05
Send Message

Date: 1/2/13 3:13 AM

As for recommendations which I totally glossed over when I first read your post. I am currently sewing up this lekala pattern and the fit is pretty good even with shoulder pads. It is definitely more of a shrunken blazer than the McCalls P&P pattern

Lekala 4162

The only thing is there are no real instructions but all blazers are constructed the same so you could use the other patterns instructions or go solo. Other cavet is you'd have to draft your own lining. But thats something I'd do anyways. Not sure what your comfortable but this pattern really does snap together nicely
-- Edited on 1/2/13 3:14 AM --

------
http://sewunnecessary.blogspot.com

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

In reply to Tbird <<

Date: 1/2/13 11:41 AM

Quote: Tbird
As for recommendations which I totally glossed over when I first read your post. I am currently sewing up this lekala pattern and the fit is pretty good even with shoulder pads. It is definitely more of a shrunken blazer than the McCalls P&P pattern

Lekala 4162

The only thing is there are no real instructions but all blazers are constructed the same so you could use the other patterns instructions or go solo. Other cavet is you'd have to draft your own lining. But thats something I'd do anyways. Not sure what your comfortable but this pattern really does snap together nicely
-- Edited on 1/2/13 3:14 AM --

I think I will get that. You can't beat 99 cent. I don't even think I will complain about no instructions for that price. I am not sure about the sizing though. I don't see anywhere to give the size I would need. Can you help me with that?
-- Edited on 1/2/13 11:42 AM --
NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

In reply to Tbird <<

Date: 1/2/13 3:32 PM

I am finishing up that same Lekala pattern & used the McCall's one for instructions and also for an adjustment to the bicep. It's for my daughter who has broad shoulders & we just decided to eliminate the shoulder pads. However I did make a simple sleeve cap to give it some structure & that seems to work. Also don't forget to add a back pleat to the lining.

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

In reply to blessedtosew <<

Date: 1/2/13 3:33 PM

You supply your measurements for Lekala patterns.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> eliminating shoulder pads

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 1224

photo
by: jenleeC

Review
Petite Plus 303 Pattern

Petite Plus 303 Pattern

More Info
Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

Sewing Workshop Ann's Cardigan & Tank

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.