SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > How many machines are too many? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How many machines are too many?
Confesssions of a sewing machine hoarder
scram415
scram415
Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/7/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/1/13 7:03 PM

So, I've never been one to have a collection of anything. But when it comes to sewing machines, I just can't help myself.

I have been sewing less than a year and have already amassed a collection of 3. I'm waiting for the FedEx guy for number 3.

I don't know what it is about sewing machines. I admire the simplicity and the craftsmanship. Some of the machines I have seen resemble cars that were produced around the same time. I compare it to my husband who spends all of his spare time working on engines. I have a vintage White, an 80's era Viking and a modern Janome. I spend my non sewing time perusing Craigslist, ebay and thrift stores. The way I see it, I want a machine from every decade. Perhaps it's an addictive personality(?) The only machines I won't take home are the plastic cheaply made machines of today.

I figure that if you have an account with this site, you probably know what I'm talking about.

How many are too many?

Runrover

Runrover
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 9/25/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/1/13 7:10 PM

Very good question; I'll have to let you know when I get there. Right now I have a herd of six machines (a Bernina 1000, a Viking Daisy, Freesia, Viva and Interlude and a Janome HF107) and a Juki serger. There's something special about each, of course. Three of the Vikings were eBay purchases. I plan to rotate their use. I really enjoy sewing on each. DH jokes that my sewing room looks like a garment factory.
Cynthia

------
Cynthia

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/1/13 7:19 PM

Three isn't even close to a collection. See, for example, LynnRowe's featherweights. You must have a modern machine, a vintage machine for thicker fabrics. Then there are cover stitch machines, sergers, embroidery machines, and so on. These are just basic tools.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 1/1/13 7:31 PM

3? 6? This isn't hoarding.

If you can easily count them in your head, or on your fingers and toes, you are FINE, really.

Heck, if I were to pare it down to just what I "need", to do the type of sewing I like to do (which includes wide decorative stitches on many items), I get to 4 machines, lol. And I don't even have a serger...yet.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

In reply to scram415 <<
thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 1/1/13 8:22 PM

Too many machines is when you can no longer get to the front door to sign for the next machine the postman brings

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to jzygail <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/1/13 8:24 PM

Hahahahaha. This is better than my answer which would have been 200.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 1/1/13 8:39 PM

For awhile I thought I might be at the magic "too many" number for me, especially since I wasn't rotating them as often as I thought I would. Then I discovered I needed one to keep at work and eventually needed the other "spares" at work for teaching young moms to sew. Hurray!

Now I just have my main machine, my Featherweight, my Singer Genie (those two are collectibles, really), my serger, my backup serger and my coverstitch at home. Oodles of space for more.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 8:46 PM

I thought I had hit my limit with 9. Then I bought another one. Then I sold one and then immediately bought another one. So I guess for me, the number is 10. Which, of course, doesn't count the serger and the coverstitch machine.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 8:47 PM

I think you have too many when it becomes burdensome and that can be at 3 or 30. For me the magic number was 6. I could never get below 6 and then one day, suddenly I was down to 2! Now we don't count the serger or the vintage Singers or the embroidery only machine). But really 2 sewing machines. They compliment each other well and so far, no withdrawals!

Al Johnson
star
Al Johnson
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/17/07
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 9:50 PM

I have six. I don't think that is too many. My dear wife may disagree, however.

------
A sewing machine is just a welder for textiles.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> How many machines are too many?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Simplicity 2152

photo
by: balrojka

Review
Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Winifred Dress Paper Pattern

Buy Now
JSM-Pant 1

JSM-Pant 1

Buy Now
New Look 6000

photo
by: style insp...

Review

Pattern

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.