SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > How many machines are too many? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How many machines are too many?
Confesssions of a sewing machine hoarder
scram415
scram415
Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/7/12
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/1/13 7:03 PM

So, I've never been one to have a collection of anything. But when it comes to sewing machines, I just can't help myself.

I have been sewing less than a year and have already amassed a collection of 3. I'm waiting for the FedEx guy for number 3.

I don't know what it is about sewing machines. I admire the simplicity and the craftsmanship. Some of the machines I have seen resemble cars that were produced around the same time. I compare it to my husband who spends all of his spare time working on engines. I have a vintage White, an 80's era Viking and a modern Janome. I spend my non sewing time perusing Craigslist, ebay and thrift stores. The way I see it, I want a machine from every decade. Perhaps it's an addictive personality(?) The only machines I won't take home are the plastic cheaply made machines of today.

I figure that if you have an account with this site, you probably know what I'm talking about.

How many are too many?

Runrover

Runrover  Friend of PR
Beginner
North Carolina USA
Member since 9/25/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/1/13 7:10 PM

Very good question; I'll have to let you know when I get there. Right now I have a herd of six machines (a Bernina 1000, a Viking Daisy, Freesia, Viva and Interlude and a Janome HF107) and a Juki serger. There's something special about each, of course. Three of the Vikings were eBay purchases. I plan to rotate their use. I really enjoy sewing on each. DH jokes that my sewing room looks like a garment factory.
Cynthia

------
Cynthia

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/1/13 7:19 PM

Three isn't even close to a collection. See, for example, LynnRowe's featherweights. You must have a modern machine, a vintage machine for thicker fabrics. Then there are cover stitch machines, sergers, embroidery machines, and so on. These are just basic tools.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 1/1/13 7:31 PM

3? 6? This isn't hoarding.

If you can easily count them in your head, or on your fingers and toes, you are FINE, really.

Heck, if I were to pare it down to just what I "need", to do the type of sewing I like to do (which includes wide decorative stitches on many items), I get to 4 machines, lol. And I don't even have a serger...yet.

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

In reply to scram415 <<
thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 1/1/13 8:22 PM

Too many machines is when you can no longer get to the front door to sign for the next machine the postman brings

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to jzygail <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/1/13 8:24 PM

Hahahahaha. This is better than my answer which would have been 200.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

In reply to Maia B <<

Date: 1/1/13 8:39 PM

For awhile I thought I might be at the magic "too many" number for me, especially since I wasn't rotating them as often as I thought I would. Then I discovered I needed one to keep at work and eventually needed the other "spares" at work for teaching young moms to sew. Hurray!

Now I just have my main machine, my Featherweight, my Singer Genie (those two are collectibles, really), my serger, my backup serger and my coverstitch at home. Oodles of space for more.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Sherril Miller
starstarstarstar
Sherril Miller  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 8:46 PM

I thought I had hit my limit with 9. Then I bought another one. Then I sold one and then immediately bought another one. So I guess for me, the number is 10. Which, of course, doesn't count the serger and the coverstitch machine.

------
Visit my blog at http://sewingsaga.blogspot.com

If it's worth sewing, it's worth sewing well;
and if it's worth sewing well, it's worth FITTING FIRST! - TSL

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 8:47 PM

I think you have too many when it becomes burdensome and that can be at 3 or 30. For me the magic number was 6. I could never get below 6 and then one day, suddenly I was down to 2! Now we don't count the serger or the vintage Singers or the embroidery only machine). But really 2 sewing machines. They compliment each other well and so far, no withdrawals!

Al Johnson
star
Al Johnson
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/17/07
Send Message

Date: 1/1/13 9:50 PM

I have six. I don't think that is too many. My dear wife may disagree, however.

------
A sewing machine is just a welder for textiles.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> How many machines are too many?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Lark Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Sewing Workshop Balboa Shirt & Topper

Buy Now
New Look 6126

photo
by: Sheila457

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.