SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Sweater knits source? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sweater knits source?
(Sweater knits with large stripes)
HeyJane
star
HeyJane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 5/18/05
Send Message

Date: 1/2/13 2:50 PM

Does anyone have sources for sweater knits? Iím making a childís lab coat to play with the Doc McStuffins doctor bag, so I thought I could also whip up a little top like the one she wears, if I could find the purple and white sweater knit, or at least some type of jersey knit. Iíve tried many searches for purple/white, or lavender/white. I only found one on etsy thatís pretty close, but would have to order from Korea!, I donít think I would do that. Thanks for any info if you have seen any fabric similar to this! Doc McStuffins outfit

ChrisS
star
ChrisS
Intermediate
Alaska USA
Member since 5/30/07
Send Message

In reply to HeyJane <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/2/13 4:24 PM

I've been shopping for sweater knits myself and recall seeing some similar fro fabric.com. sweater knits They don't have purple and white but do have a purple/gray or a pink/white. Maybe one for those is close enough?

Or this purple stripe from FFC might work. Its a jersey knit and stripes are narrower but might be close enough for a play outfit.

HeyJane
star
HeyJane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 5/18/05
Send Message

In reply to ChrisS <<

Date: 1/2/13 5:19 PM

Thanks! I'll get a yd of the FFC. I'll still be on the lookout for wider stripes, but with 3 girls in the play group it couldn't hurt to possibly end up with extra tops anyway, in the event I find other fabrics. I really like some of those fabric.com sweater knits for myself! Must check it out.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to HeyJane <<

Date: 1/2/13 5:29 PM

Do you or a friend have a serger? With those wide stripes, it wouldn't take long to 'make' the striped fabric.

You could use the 'made' stripe fabric for just the fronts if the doc always wears a lab coat.
-- Edited on 1/2/13 5:59 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

HeyJane
star
HeyJane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 5/18/05
Send Message

In reply to a7yrstitch <<

Date: 1/2/13 6:08 PM

You know, I thought of that but immediately decided I was too lazy to do that. Maybe I'll re-think it, because I get fussy about these things, and you can't believe how the kids know the details...they know every little thing about the characters. Depends how much time I have....I do have until the end of Jan. to get the project finished. We are only talking about a little size 4. Also it seemed like the collar and bottom bands are a slight shade darker. Great idea about only doing the front. I still like the purple stripe from FFC to make some tops, they all love purple...am on there now browsing to see what else I can use as an excuse to place an order.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to HeyJane <<

Date: 1/3/13 12:39 PM

May I suggest you expand your range of fabric to include an interlock knit in cotton/lycra, rayon/lycra or bamboo/lycra? It will give you more options to work with. The Doc's top appears to be made with an interlock or jersey knit which you can find in various fiber combinations. I found a bunch of striped fabric at The Fabric Fairy. I'm sure one of these will work for what you're looking for.The Doc's top also has ribbing at the neckline which is available at Fabric.com.

------
Judy

HeyJane
star
HeyJane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 5/18/05
Send Message

In reply to Judy Kski <<

Date: 1/3/13 4:30 PM

Thanks, Judy, I'll look for purple....they seem to have a great selection!

Bobbi B
Bobbi B
Intermediate
Wisconsin USA
Member since 6/24/12
online now
Send Message

Date: 1/5/13 10:41 PM

At fabric.com search for royal purple. The fabric has wider stripes but the purple is darker than what you may be looking for although it appears
others may have used this fabric for the same project.

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

Date: 1/9/13 1:13 PM

Striped sweater knit

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

In reply to HeyJane <<

Date: 1/9/13 4:07 PM

Quote: HeyJane
I only found one on etsy thatís pretty close, but would have to order from Korea!, I donít think I would do that.

If this is your only reservation, I'll just say that I've had *excellent* luck with every Far East-based merchant I've dealt with on etsy and ebay. Often the merchandise arrives here much quicker than with domestic sources!

Do you have a link to the etsy shop? Maybe someone here has bought from them.

------
~Gem in the prairie

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Sweater knits source?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Deer&Doe Robe Sureau

photo
by: Kathhhhhy

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Frayed Jacket Pattern

Favorite Things The Frayed Jacket Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.