SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Pfaff hobbylock 788 - upper knife isn't sharp? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pfaff hobbylock 788 - upper knife isn't sharp?
rudyinok
rudyinok
Intermediate
Oklahoma USA
Member since 3/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/3/13 11:14 PM

I just bought a used pfaff hobbylock 788 from craigslist for $100. it appears to be in good working order once I put it all together and got it threaded. I have the manual. and lots of extra feet.

but, when I engaged the knife and serged, the upper knife just doesn't seem to be cutting well.

the manual tells how to replace it and I've found one on eBay to buy.

can I do this myself? anybody have any pointers? any other thoughts on why the blade just doesn't seem to be cutting well? when I bought it, the upper blade had been disengaged. the lady I bought it from I think bought it at a yard sale and never sewed with it, just bought it for resale, I'm pretty sure. the body and all the parts have the original owners address labels stuck all over it, so she was a proud owner and surely it appears took good care of it.

thanks for any thoughts you have and any input of any kind on this model. I've only owned one other serger, an old singer that quit working on me, thus, the search for a replacement began.

thanks!!

------
Ruth Ann

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Pfaff hobbylock 788 - upper knife isnt sharp? Date: 1/4/13 1:41 AM

It's something you can do yourself. Often the accessories box comes with an extra blade, and sometimes the manual with have instructions. You might order 2 blades, one new one and a spare. Some fabrics dull the knife faster than others, polar fleece is one of the worst.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Cathy Loves Fabric
star
Cathy Loves Fabric  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/16/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Pfaff hobbylock 788 - upper knife isnt sharp? Date: 1/4/13 4:49 AM

Yes, I had one of these for over 17 years and wish I still had it. It's not hard to change the knife. Clean and oil it while you are there. It should be worth the $100. It costs $700 new in 1993.

------
My hope is to sew to the very end. They'll find my head slumped over my precious Kenmore 19606 and have to pry the seam ripper from my cold, dead hands.

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to rudyinok <<

Date: 1/5/13 8:02 PM

Run your finger nail along the edge of the knife, if it catches on a burr it needs replacing. All sergers also have a lower knife that dosn't move, look to see it it has burns on it. They're a nice strong serger especially with extra feet.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

TangoGayle
TangoGayle  Friend of PR
Member since 2/15/12
Send Message

Date: 1/10/13 7:10 PM

I also have a Pfaff Hobbylock 788 that I picked up for free then payed $120 for cleaning/servicing and was told it was in great condition. This is my first serger since I only recently returned to sewing. Although it seems to do regular 3 and 4 thread overlocked seems/edging, I cannot get it to do narrow rolled hems. I located the proper rolled hem foot and I have a booklet in addition to the owners manual with setting suggestions and guidelines.... But no adjustment I make seems to work. Is this machine just not able to do those beautiful tiny satin stitched narrow hems on light weight fabrics? (I am making dance skirts that need to "float".) Or is there something one of you can explain to help me better understand what to do. Note: Although i was initially practicing with standard serger thread, I did switch to rayon embroidery thread and I think the needle size is correct. Any help will be most appreciated,

TangoGayle
TangoGayle  Friend of PR
Member since 2/15/12
Send Message

Date: 1/10/13 7:10 PM

I also have a Pfaff Hobbylock 788 that I picked up for free then payed $120 for cleaning/servicing and was told it was in great condition. This is my first serger since I only recently returned to sewing. Although it seems to do regular 3 and 4 thread overlocked seems/edging, I cannot get it to do narrow rolled hems. I located the proper rolled hem foot and I have a booklet in addition to the owners manual with setting suggestions and guidelines.... But no adjustment I make seems to work. Is this machine just not able to do those beautiful tiny satin stitched narrow hems on light weight fabrics? (I am making dance skirts that need to "float".) Or is there something one of you can explain to help me better understand what to do. Note: Although i was initially practicing with standard serger thread, I did switch to rayon embroidery thread and I think the needle size is correct. Any help will be most appreciated,

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to TangoGayle <<

Date: 1/10/13 8:55 PM

Well if I had one, which I don't, I would assume it's just my own operator error in use, because of course the machine it's self can and was made to make a rolled hem, and you even got the book with the instructions for it. But if perchance you no longer even had the two little long and skinny stitch pins still embedded into your needle plate and one of them was really broken off or gone or such that might stop it from making a rolled hem, no matter what you did. So compare what your needle plate looks like, to pictures in your book instead, and make sure those two skinny little pins are still there, that just look much like any needle or pin, as as long as they are there then I think you have a operator error in use kind of problem, just instead.

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Subject: Pfaff hobbylock 788 - upper knife isnt sharp? Date: 1/12/13 10:37 AM

This isn't a fix for your serger, but if your dance skirts are polyester, you can cut them out with a hot knife (aka wood burning tool) and it will sear the edges and they won't ravel.
I learned this trick making costumes for dance studios.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to TangoGayle <<

Date: 1/12/13 7:39 PM

Did you remove the left needle from the serger? When doing a roll hem test on a nice cotton fabric first to make sure it works then switch to knit. Wolly nylon will fluff out and fill is the roll hem nicely without having to set your stitch lenght too tight. If fabric is not feeding increase your stitch lenght slightly. If you still can't get it you can post pics, another set of eyes may be able to see something that got missed.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

TangoGayle
TangoGayle  Friend of PR
Member since 2/15/12
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 1/13/13 4:58 PM

Yes, I too assume operator error.... On this old model the stitch fingers are on the special rolled hem foot and it is in perfect condition... So I cannot blame that.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Pfaff hobbylock 788 - upper knife isn't sharp?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

New Look 6172

photo
by: sewin

Review
Petite Plus 501 Pattern

Petite Plus 501 Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Stella and Luna Tops

Sewing Workshop Stella and Luna Tops

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.