SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Quilting Fabric ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Quilting Fabric
Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 1/4/13 7:48 PM

Is Walmart quilting fabric good enough for quilting? I have looked at it and I would say the quality of it is about the same as I bought at Hancock's 2 years ago. Some better and some not as good.

Has anyone bought any from them and what did you think?

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Skittl1321
star
Skittl1321
Advanced Beginner
Iowa USA
Member since 9/9/07
Send Message

Date: 1/4/13 8:19 PM

Depends what your goal is. If you want a heirloom passed through generations: no.

If you want a blanket to be used, sure. I've used it sometimes, but often find it to be thin.

Check each bolt, quality varies.
My favorite place for quilting fabric is fabric.com- watch for a sale and then pair with a coupon.

abbe
abbe
Member since 3/20/07
Send Message

Date: 1/5/13 4:38 PM

I agree with Skittl 1321. For the time and energy you will expend for something for grands and beyond to experience...your local quilt shop is a good bet.
But visit the big box stores for items to be tossed in washer and loved.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/5/13 5:04 PM

Once you have handled, purchased and sewn with quilt store cotton you will never have to ask again!

Compared to fabric stores that are not quilt specific, it is like comparing silk to lindsey woolsey......well maybe not that extreme!

-- Edited on 1/5/13 5:06 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 1/5/13 5:38 PM

I went and looked at some fabrics at Craft Warehouse, as they are having a big sale. I like Moda and pretty much only use it. I did not buy anything, as I wanted 3 fabrics that would go together and did not find much I liked at all. Good prices, but crappy prints.

I only like to use good quality fabrics from my local quilt shop. But at $12 a yard, it gets expensive. I need 2 yards of dark blue print, 1 yard of orange or green print and another yard of a 3rd color. Right there it is $48 and then add tax and it adds another $10 to it.

I am doing a friendship star and I want the stars to be darker than the background. I have recently learned on the Color Theory thead that I need to mix more light and darks together. I usually like a med and a dark.

I checked my stash and 80% of it is darks and the other 20% is lights. I have 1 that is medium. No contrast there, not even for a scrappy type quilt. Drat...

So I thought I'd check out other sources and see what I can find. When I have some cash in hand, I'll go back to CW and buy some fabrics at $7 a yard on the bolt and $ loose folds. I need to buy more fabric so I have SOME choices.

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

In reply to Skittl1321 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/5/13 11:47 PM

Quote: Skittl1321
Check each bolt, quality varies.

This pretty much sums up my experience, and I worked in an LQS for about 10 yrs. I have been able to find the occasional lovely fabric at WM, discount shops, garage sales, and thrifts. But the HUGE advantage that quilt shops offer is choice, selection, and full lines of co-ordinatiing fabrics. Oh yes, we also included advice on patterns, colour, calculated yardages for various sizes, and every other kind of support a quilter might need.

Jennifer in Calgary
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/6/13 8:08 AM

you can usually find fairly good deals online for quilt shop quality fabric without the $12 price. If I had to pay $12 for quilting fabric I wouldn't be quilting. I've found fabric at Joann's in most instances to be quite nice and have it hold up. Especially the quilting flannel. Not all of us are making quilts we expect to live on years beyond us. We are just doing it for the fun of it now. Walmart fabric would be fine to use in quilts.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 1/6/13 1:04 PM

I'm pretty sure these are quality close-outs.

Thousands of Bolts and Only One Nut

Fabric.com

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

In reply to Learn To Sew <<

Date: 1/6/13 10:02 PM

Quote: Learn To Sew
I like Moda and pretty much only use it.

So, go to your LQS (or look online at the Moda site) and figure out which fabrics you want.

Write down the name of the line and the color name/number.

Come home and do a google search and find that fabric at several different places online.

Use their color board (or whatever they offer) to compare that particular fabric to others in the Moda line that maybe are from a couple years ago. Find one similar enough to be useable in your quilt and that's $5./yd or less.

------

My hint: The sooner you learn to use multiple prints in a quilt rather than just 3 or 4 or 5 to carry the whole theme, the easier it will get to make quilts with the fabrics you have on hand. It is FAR harder to choose fabrics for a quilt with only a few fabrics than with many different ones.

Another hint: Once Moda fabrics are washed you may find they aren't much different than others in the quilt shop. I think they definitely use more fabric finishes and calendaring on their fabrics to make the 'hand' feel better in the store.

When I was initially trying to get a good starting stock of fabrics I looked for mixes and lots on ebay of the types or brands I wanted. You'd be amazed at how little people ask for a flat rate envelope or box full of fabric pieces.

Search 'Moda scraps' or Moda lots. Moda has some new 'scrap bags' that they are packaging at the factory. 2" to 4" wide and about 32" long, about 2 yds worth of fabric for around $10 to $12. And these are new lines; you can choose the line. One seller gives free shipping if you order 3 bags (and no, I have no info or connection with the seller.) If you search on Moda LOTS, you'll find a variety. Look for something like this one:
14 fat quarters for $21. (with shipping)
That works out to about $6.00/yd. (21/3.5=6)

Here's another possibility. Either of these sellers looks reliable to me.
Modas and others, but even lower price. But you'll have to bid and wait nearly a week....

If you are wanting to build your stash quickly,
Grin -- 53 yds at a shot!

or
20 yds....

9 yds / 36 fat quarters
-- Edited on 1/6/13 11:11 PM --

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/6/13 10:18 PM

I got some really nice flannel from WalMart, but it was years ago. Honestly WalMart around here is SUCH a Freakish zoo I only go maybe once a year. I couldn't say what the quality of their fabric is.

You need to try some other fabrics than Moda! Moda is certainly lovely fabric, but Michael Miller and Riley Blake fabric is silky! Robert Kaufman fabric is too.

------
Cathryn

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Quilting Fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 06-2011-104

photo
by: QuiltSewSe...

Review
Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

More Info
Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

Bluegingerdoll Mae Blouse Patterns

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.