SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Knitting Lounge > Looking for good tutorial on Toe Up Socks ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Looking for good tutorial on Toe Up Socks
JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

Date: 1/7/13 11:15 AM

Hi all,

I've recently become obsessed with knitting socks. I've made 4 pairs now--3 on DBN and one on circulars. I really want to master toe-up, but I'm having a really hard time with turning the heel from the other direction. I'm following Silver's sock class. Does anyone know of a really good video or details description of this part of the construction?

Thanks in advance!
Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX
BabyLock Melody

Sickofitcindy
star
Sickofitcindy
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 5/1/08
Send Message

Date: 1/7/13 1:17 PM

Craftsy has a toe up sock class. I've signed up for it but have never knitted socks before so I can't say whether it's a good class or now. However, there is a money back guarantee so it might be worth checking out.

ElizabethDee
star
ElizabethDee
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 12/27/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/7/13 2:03 PM

I taught myself with th book Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy D. Johnson. What really helped were techniques by Cat Bordhi, on YouTube.

Ariadne

Ariadne
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 7/27/08
Send Message

Date: 1/7/13 6:41 PM

Hill Country Weavers has knitting classes. They also have a knitting group that meets on Sunday afternoons. It's free. Someone might be able to help show you how it's done.

The Knitting Nest in South Austin has a few knitting groups. They might have someone to show you toe-up socks.

I want to say the Austin Public Library has books on toe-up sock knitting, in the stacks.

I'm guessing where you are- you reviewed a store close to my house.

HCWeavers has classes for pay, too. That might be your fastest, msot definite way to learn.

Oh, the Barnes and Noble in Sunset Valley. A knitting teacher hosts classes at the cafe. Ask at the Michael's next door. She teaches there, too.

Wino
star
Wino
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 9/24/06
Send Message

Date: 1/7/13 7:29 PM

I took a toe up class with Wendy Johnson and recommend her book. There are many videos on YouTube that can help also. That said, I am still working on the socks I started in the class, as the size 0 needles mean slow progress!

------
wino

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to JKimes <<

Date: 1/7/13 7:59 PM

I just bumped up the socks thread I started. Several people posted tutorials on there that included toe up socks.
Someone gave me directions for those years ago. I didn't like them as well as top down. They are just different and I have my pattern down-you know old dog new tricks ?

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to JKimes <<

Date: 1/7/13 8:45 PM

Doggone, there is a superb book on this. It's "Crazy Toes and Heels" by Mary Ann Beattie.

I've been knitting for many decades, and I love socks--and this book taught me a whole new way to go at it, resulting in the best-fitting socks I have ever made. These are socks to love.

However, the learning curve is steep. I had to sit in a quiet room and work carefully on the heel turn--but boy, is it worth it!

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

Date: 1/8/13 2:01 PM

thanks for all the great info!
I picked by the toe up book my Wendy Johnson last night on my way home.
I just visited Hill Country Weavers for the first time last week, even though I worked right down the streets for over 2 years. LOVE that store. Only problem for me is that I work downtown but live in the Hill Country, so avoid driving back in to Austin on weekends. Might be worth it, though.
Will have to check out all the other resources this weekend.

Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX
BabyLock Melody

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 1/15/13 4:51 PM

When you do your toe ups, take some time to google "Judy's Magic Cast On".

Best cast on ever! If you watch Cat Bordi's you tube, it's painfully slow in the beginning. She reviews the whole process about 6 minutes in. It's so easy to do and you don't have to tighten up stitches afterwards. They are also correctly mounted after the cast on. You just start knitting.

------
Mary

Renee' S
Renee' S
Intermediate
Idaho USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/21/13 10:36 AM

Have any of you tried Cat Bordhi's Sweet Tomato Heel? I absolutely love this heel. It's super easy to do, it can be used toe up or top down and it fits!! Cat has a You Tube video that demonstrates the Sweet Tomato Heel. Sweet Tomato Heel

The complete instructions are in her Ebook which also includes 12 or 13 sock patterns. I've been avoiding socks because I always had trouble at the gusset, now I've got 2 pairs of socks on my needles.

I have no affiliation with Cat Bordhi - I'm just happily knitting socks again.

------
Bernina 560, Pfaff 7550, Pfaff 1171, Babylock Imagine, Singer 221 & the big girl Gammill Classic

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Knitting Lounge >> Looking for good tutorial on Toe Up Socks

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Ottobre Woman Magazine 05-2007-10

photo
by: 21wale

Review
PerfectFuse Light Black

PerfectFuse Light Black

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Sew Liberated Woodlands Shirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.