SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Thinking about a new class machine. Need advice! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Thinking about a new class machine. Need advice!
lelliebunny
star
lelliebunny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/24/12
Send Message

Date: 1/9/13 4:24 PM

I currently have a Baby Lock Audrey that I use when I go to classes (I've done some quilting classes where I just need a straight stitch and some low level garment sewing classes). While it seems pretty decent for that, I have found that a must have for me is a digital display. The little flashing lights on the Audrey for stitch length and width are driving me batty! My primary machine for sewing when I'm at home is my Pfaff Creative Performance, so I have gotten very spoiled.

I am thinking about the Brother 950D (mainly because I can use the extra feet and bobbins from my Audrey) or the Pfaff Ambition Essential (I love my IDT). I realize the Ambition Essential won't sew like my PCP and isn't compatible with my bobbins, but I like the idea of keeping with 1 manufacturer. I can't seem to find much info on the Ambition as far as size and weight. I will visit my local dealer that sells both, but I would also like some feedback from people that aren't trying to sell me stuff. :D

I don't use my PCP for classes because it gets to be way too much to deal with when I live in a 3rd floor walk-up. So, portability is the top priority. I also require a digital display and needle down.

Thanks in advance!

------
it doesn't matter what type of sewing you do. you are sewing, and sewing is good.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/9/13 5:02 PM

A roll of painters' tape would be less expensive. Tape over the lights.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to lelliebunny <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/9/13 5:02 PM

The rumor is, Pfaff is coming out this Spring with a traveller Pfaff. I'm hoping (and plan to pester Pfaff on their facebook about it) they'll come out with a sewing-only mini PCP for travel; how pfantastic would that be!

In the meantime...I haven't picked up the AE, and don't know the weight, etc, but it isn't a small machine! Sure is a pretty one, though...

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/9/13 7:20 PM

I have to agree with you about the Audrey's lights. Drove me batty too. It's not so much the lights themselves, as it is hard to determine what the actual length or width is that you are on. But it is a powerful little gal for such a small one!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

aliann1
aliann1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 12/8/07
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 1/9/13 9:09 PM

Quote:
The rumor is, Pfaff is coming out this Spring with a traveller Pfaff.

Oh my gosh, where did you hear this? You must keep us updated if you hear anything else
AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 1/9/13 9:11 PM

The Babylock/Brother bobbins seem to work just fine in my Janome AQS 2009 (JNH 720) which has an actual numerical number when you hit the stitch lenth, width or stitch selection. The Janome Jem 760 has the same number of stitches as your Audrey. I say this having bought a big 50-pack of Brother SA156 class 15 bobbins by mistake... and finding they were actually fine.

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 1/9/13 9:21 PM

How about the Pfaff Expression 150 Anniversary model? It may use the same bobbins.
-- Edited on 1/9/13 10:00 PM --

anne123184
anne123184
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 9/29/10
Send Message

Date: 1/9/13 9:37 PM

9960 Quantum Stylist looks really good

------
Live what you preach

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 1/10/13 0:53 AM

Someone here said the new Lotus was a really good machine...

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 1/10/13 10:11 AM

The Lotus talk was probably from me back when I bought it for my granddaughter last June. Right now, it's set up on my coffee table in my sewing room (must make my landlord grit her teeth at the thought - see my other thread from yesterday! lol) ... but the grandbabe loves it.

It's a great little machine - and it's PERFECT for her... but I'm still a junkie and wished I had more features and more stitches - but I like doing goofy selvedge edge stuff and embellishment type stitches quite a bit.

The Lotus only has 18 stitches. So if you're going to just do some straight quilting or construction at a class or sew-in, it's fine. It wasn't cheap - I paid $900 but I have seen sales on it as low as $500 - but good luck finding that.

There is an all day sew-in that I'm going to attend in a few weeks. THIS TIME (famous last words) I'm going to try to have a game plan in place and projects organized for the day - and depending on what those projects are, I might take the Lotus for the day. (I usually am throwing things together to sew on at the last minute... I'm never organized on that front! lol)

That New Lotus stitches beautifully. The motor still has loads of punch - so doing heavy layers wasn't a problem on it (I like doing purses and goofy projects with loads of layers, it seems).

IIRC, I weighed the thing for someone else here last summer - its about 14 pounds. Terribly cute machine, IMO... but I still personally would love to have a dual feed, knee lifter, and a boatload of stitches on anything I own.

------
Video of how the Bionic Gear Bag works is here: www.BionicGearBag.com
Neglected personal blog is here: www.RipStitcher.com
Share pics on Instagram: RipStitcher

Tool junkie at heart!

Bernina 880 Sterling Edition & Bernina 550qe

Next up:
Babylock Sashiko
Babylock serger
& a new-new Sewmobile - see my last #sewmobile in Instagram

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Thinking about a new class machine. Need advice!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 249743-1000

photo
by: poppykettl...

Review
Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Fit For Real People DVD

Fit For Real People DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.