SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > My sewing machines were insulted today.... ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
My sewing machines were insulted today....
RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/9/13 10:30 PM

My Oven Rant

I posted the above about how much I hate the oven in my new place.... but skip past all of that and see what happened!

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 1/9/13 11:05 PM

That's ridiculous. DH and I are landlords, and I could care less what our tenant has going on in the house as long as it's legal and it doesn't cause any damage.

And what bearing the state of the living room has on the fact that the house needs a new oven is beyond me.

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Ellure Plus BLR3
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 237 converted to treadle
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 1/9/13 11:23 PM

No kidding, riiiiight?!?!?

I've been a landlord in the past, too. So this just irks the *&%$% of out me.

At the end of the day, I'm sure she misses living in this house. Its been a rental for at least two years.

Before I got this place, I passed on another house because it was so obnoxiously obvious that the owner was too emotionally tied to the house in her head to be a decent landlord... she would have been a total pain in the **s. That one, before getting into a contract with her, kept saying "This is an awfully big house for a single person"... OMG!!!! It was a 1,700 square foot house. Big flippin' deal!!!!!

This one is about 2,500 square feet. Just the right size for an interesting person like myself.

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

Date: 1/10/13 0:22 AM

"the owner was too emotionally tied to the house in her head to be a decent landlord"

This. Is what first crossed my mind when I read your initial post. She can't detach. Our rental was our first house, brought both of my babies home there. It was really hard to leave it, but I made a conscious effort to just think of it as a part of business, leave emotions out of it.

Well, hopefully she gets some sense soon. From the pics I've seen on your blog, the setup you have looks really nice! I'm envious! Sew away happily

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Ellure Plus BLR3
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 237 converted to treadle
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

Sibilance7
Sibilance7  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IL
Member since 8/10/11
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/10/13 1:31 AM

JUNK?! How rude! So she's sort of trying to argue that since you have some sewing machines . . . the oven must not need to be replaced. Well, that makes all kinds of sense!

------
My blog: www.feministstitch.com

I sew on:
Olivia, my Pfurple Pfaff Creative Performance
BabyLock Evolution

jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
MD USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

Date: 1/10/13 6:35 AM

How obnoxious! This is one reason I love owning my own home. I get to choose what appliances and when they need replacing, and I don't have a landlady dropping by and making judgments on me to dedicating 1/3 of the basement to my sewing room :)

On the other hand, I have plenty of folks who feel free to insult my Grande Dame (a Singer 12 made in 1874) because it's "one of those rickety old treadles. And why do you need so many?" sigh. They just don't understand :)

Just a note, tho, my house is teeny/tiny, so I use a toaster oven for most of my baking in the summer. I don't make many baked goods at that time of year anyway, and it's a perfect size for me and a few guests. Most 6-slice toaster ovens are fine for making dinner for 3 or 4 people and they don't heat up the whole house the way the big oven does.

Sewandwrite
star
Sewandwrite  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
MD USA
Member since 5/16/08
Send Message

Date: 1/10/13 10:57 AM

I get it!

She's trying to shame you -- the rent-paying tenant -- so you won't bug her about the oven., which she doesn't want to deal with.

I bet the oven looks nice from the exterior. Looks can be deceiving, despite landlady's perspective. I've been in multimillion dollar homes with mice and broken high-end appliances -- and no sewing machines. :rolleyes:

Many areas require landlords to provide working appliances. I would not hesitate to contact the local or state landlord-tenant affairs agency -- after warning my landlady I was about to do so. Sometimes just the threat of action gets them motivated...

AminaHijabi
star
AminaHijabi
Advanced Beginner
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/10/13 11:05 AM

What wrong? You can't see her logic? I mean, its so crystal clear. Clearly in all your sewing there has been a buildup of electromagnetic charge in the apartment from overactive lint bunnies, combines with the excess dust andrandom threads of the sewing it is clearly lint and static electricity from your sewing machine that caused the oven to break

*sarcasm*

-- Edited on 1/10/13 11:06 AM --

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 1/10/13 6:38 PM

Ugh.....

Had another talk with her today.....

And when I listen to what she's not saying... (are you with me?) ... it sure seems that she still has herself living in this house so anything I do will not be the same as she does/or would do. Ugh.

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger

JanyceR

JanyceR  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 2/3/07
Send Message

Date: 1/10/13 9:37 PM

ugh is right. So sorry you are going through this.

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> My sewing machines were insulted today....

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Vogue Patterns 2802

photo
by: jennycat

Review
Sassy Bag

Sassy Bag

Buy Now
Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Petite Plus Patterns Yoked Blouse

Buy Now
Folkwear 233

photo
by: miausiau

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.