SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Brother LS2125 Australia vs U.S.?? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Brother LS2125 Australia vs U.S.??
(huge price difference)
ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

Date: 1/11/13 6:25 PM

Am I interpreting it correctly, that the Brother LS2125 in Australia is $183 more than the LS2125 in the U.S.? The PDF for the Australian site says that it has a metal chassis, whereas I am pretty sure the U.S. machine at 13 lb. (approx. 6 kg) wouldn't have a metal chassis. And I suppose it's that metal vs plastic that would account for the price difference? I was just really surprised to see price differences on that site, but maybe they're just sturdier-made machines.

misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to ShantiSeamstressing <<

Date: 1/11/13 7:07 PM

Machines are, generally, more expensive here than in the States. $183 is a very small price difference. The prices on Aust sites will, unless stated, include 10% GST (sales tax).
Just about everything here costs more, which is why we do so much shopping with US online retailers. The postage increases at the end of the month are going to hit hard.

------
chris

Melbourne

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to misschris <<

Date: 1/11/13 7:15 PM

Thanks for explaining that, misschris! That was something new to me.

And I must say...I surely am sorry about the postage increases. We here in the States never really understand what the USPS is doing, either.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/11/13 9:51 PM

It depends on where it is shipped from and what taxes and fees are charged by the country the item is being shipped to.

What would be the cost of shipping if the item where purchased from a merchant in the UK?

I think they are both the same machine.

Here is Brother's overview.

-- Edited on 1/11/13 9:56 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

iSewQuiltArt
star
iSewQuiltArt
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/4/08
Send Message

Date: 1/11/13 10:03 PM

PattiAnn, the US dollar being weak in relation to Australian dollar compared to its previous strength has made shopping in the US attractive for many people, I remember a few years ago when it wasn't and few people shopped in the US for supplies. Travel to the US was expensive then too.

How the Aussie dollar stacks up against the UK pound will always be a factor. I remember travelling there in 1997 and buying steak, chips and salad at a local pub for two, and it cost the equivalent of $81 dollars in our currency. It wasn't even good steak but we had dinner there the night our tour had ended with a bunch of people, and it was a fun night. That same meal here costs a fraction of that. Travelling then was very, very expensive. It has improved some now though, and I guess if people find things there they want that can't be sourced locally or are ridiculously expensive locally, they may buy more from the UK. Time will tell.

------
Quilting up a storm
Bernina Girl, in possession of a small herd...

ShantiSeamstressing
star
ShantiSeamstressing
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/11/10
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 1/11/13 11:16 PM

Quote: PattiAnnJ

I think they are both the same machine.

Oh, true, no doubt they're the same machine. But as the PDF from the Australian site specifically noted "metal chassis" and the U.S. site says nothing about that, I'd initially assumed that the higher cost came from metal on the inside to bring up the price that way. I now realize it's probably just caused by different taxes or fees of some sort. On the flip side, I guess that means I can assume that that model in the U.S. also has a metal chassis. That would be good. (I suppose it'd be wonderful if a friend from the U.S. could bring along a machine purchased at U.S. prices when visiting an Australian friend.)
misschris
misschris
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/3/06
Send Message

In reply to ShantiSeamstressing <<

Date: 1/12/13 1:10 AM

Quote:
I suppose it'd be wonderful if a friend from the U.S. could bring along a machine purchased at U.S. prices when visiting an Australian friend

But then we'd need to buy a stepdown transformer ($200/300 at a guess) Plus the excess baggage charge. And the warranty would be invalid.

Patterns, fabric and books on the other hand .............
-- Edited on 1/12/13 1:11 AM --

------
chris

Melbourne

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

Date: 1/12/13 10:45 PM

It's not a huge price difference. I was looking at a different machine today that is $4,500 in the US and $8,000 here. Explain that difference!

Added: I just realised you were talking about a machine that is $129 in the US, so an extra $180 is a huge difference!
-- Edited on 1/12/13 10:53 PM --

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Vireya <<

Date: 1/12/13 10:52 PM

Quote: Vireya
It's not a huge price difference. I was looking at a different machine today that is $4,500 in the US and $8,000 here. Explain that difference!

That does not sound like the US dollar is less than the AU dollar.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/12/13 10:56 PM

$8,000 AU is worth $8,400 US at the moment

You can't blame the difference just on shipping. I'm sure you could send a machine across the Pacific in its own seat in Business Class for $3,900!
-- Edited on 1/12/13 11:04 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Brother LS2125 Australia vs U.S.??

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

McCall's 6532

photo
by: MonalisaLo...

Review

Pattern

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern

Buy Now
Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Jennifer Stern The Perfectly Fitted Shirt by the Cup-Full Pattern ( Size 6-14(Cup A-DD) )

Buy Now
McCall's 6506

photo
by: melodysews

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.