SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Drawstring for mens pajama pants ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Drawstring for mens pajama pants
Notion
Memaddiemike
Memaddiemike  Friend of PR
Beginner
Oklahoma USA
Member since 10/22/10
Send Message

Date: 1/13/13 6:40 PM

Anyone know where to find drawstring appropriate for men's pajama pant strings. I bought some Wrights 1/2" twill tape at Hancock without opening the package. It *looked* like what I wanted but when I opened it I thougt it was too thin for a man's pant...it's almost like ribbon weight. Some of my r-t-w pj pants have this "twill" type drawstring dyed to match the pants. Here's a link to the pattern photo.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/patterns/sewingpatterns.pl?patternid=3072

Sharon1952
star
Sharon1952  Friend of PR
Advanced
Massachusetts USA
Member since 7/1/08
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Memaddiemike <<

Date: 1/13/13 6:46 PM

I make mine from the same fabric as the pants. I cut a 1 1/4" wide strip the whole width of the material (44 - 45") Then I iron it in half the long way (45" x 5/8") and then fold the cut ends into the fold and sew along the edge down both sides of the strip. Tie a knot on one end, thread it through, and then tie a knot on the other end. If it's too long cut just it off and tie a new knot.
-- Edited on 1/13/13 6:47 PM --

------
Sewing: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. ~Author Unknown

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to Memaddiemike <<

Date: 1/13/13 6:57 PM

Could you possibly use something like this? elastic with drawstring I purchased some of this to use when I try to make some shorts (I haven't sewn with it yet) and the cording seems normal. I also have pants and shorts that have the dyed-to-match cording like what you described, but unfortunately have only seen this for sale in white. My son and husband both want to have the "drawstring cord" and the "elastic" together in anything I might make for them, so I will continue to keep an eye out for this kind of stuff, hopefully in at least black too.

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to hazelnut <<

Date: 1/14/13 0:28 AM

This is available in white elastic with a black cord instead of white. I purchased some from an eBay seller back in 2009 that had gotten it from a Land's End Store that had closed. I'm sure it's available online somewhere though.

------
Judy

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to Judy Kski <<

Date: 1/14/13 1:12 AM

Thanks, I never think of checking ebay for fabric or notions, or much of anything. Think I've only made 3 or 4 ebay purchases ever. Guess I'm a little afraid of the sellers. I need to get more "with it". LOL I'll be looking for that black corded elastic!

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

In reply to hazelnut <<

Date: 1/14/13 7:05 AM

I find Etsy easier to deal with than EBay for notions of all kinds, always been pleased with sellers and service, mostly working out of their homes. Lots of elastics available. They don't advertise enough, have told many ladies about it who weren't aware of the site.

For drawstrings (for stretchy stomachs!) I have used wide elastic
sewn onto twill or whatever for the ties that will show. JA's has little clear toggles to run the ends thru if you don't want to just knot them.
Think outside-the-sewing-box when looking for notions. For instance, cording comes from hardware stores, tent use, clothesline, fishing, drapery. For pretty tie ends, use the stretchy colored headbands for girls.

-- Edited on 1/14/13 7:19 AM --

Pamela R
star
Pamela R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Ontario CANADA
Member since 6/22/07
Send Message

Date: 1/14/13 9:49 AM

I use skate laces. They come in different lengths, and colours and the ends are finished.

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 1/14/13 9:52 AM

I've heard of people using boot laces too. They come in different lengths and basic colors.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/14/13 11:20 AM

Put the twill tape inside a strip of the fabric and you will have a matching drawstring that matches the pant. The TT will help keep the drawstring from stretching.

Fold the length of the fabric lengthwise and lay the twill on top. Stitch across one short end, catching the end of the TT. Then stitch down the side. Safety pin the end of the TT to one side of the fabric to hold it in place as you turn the tube inside out. Stitch across the open end, catching the pinned TT. Insert into the pant waist band, then knot the ends of the drawstring.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

goodworks1
star
goodworks1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 7/19/03
Send Message

In reply to Sharon1952 <<

Date: 1/14/13 12:14 PM

Quote: Sharon1952
I make mine from the same fabric as the pants. I cut a 1 1/4" wide strip the whole width of the material (44 - 45") Then I iron it in half the long way (45" x 5/8") and then fold the cut ends into the fold and sew along the edge down both sides of the strip. Tie a knot on one end, thread it through, and then tie a knot on the other end. If it's too long cut just it off and tie a new knot.

I do mine similar to this, but cut the strip in half and sew the ends to a sturdy piece of elastic. The elastic is hidden in the back of the waistband...and I often stitch it down in the center back so the drawstring doesn't pull out. The elastic makes the waistband very comfortable.

------
blog: goodworks1.wordpress.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Drawstring for mens pajama pants

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Other Gertie's Portrait Blouse

photo
by: sugarduck

Review
J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Sew Liberated Aida Top Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.