SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Separation Anxiety ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Separation Anxiety
Selling old loved ones.....
loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

Date: 1/13/13 7:19 PM

I'm talking about sewing machines :)

So I just bought a fabulous Babylock Imagine, and am getting rid of my Bernette. It has served my mother and I well for many many years, but am trying to deal with my SMAD, and trying to just keep what I need.

I was all ready to sell it and move on and am having anxiety, and second guessing myself.

Has anyone else sold a work horse and regretted it?

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/13/13 7:32 PM

Yes. I had an old New Home machine. It was a great, 1960's metal work horse. I sold it rather than spend money. All it needed was a tune up, but I didn't know anything about maintenance of machines then. Your Bernette would be a great back up machine, or loaner.
-- Edited on 1/13/13 7:33 PM --

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to loti <<

Date: 1/13/13 7:35 PM

I do not think you should sell it!!! You will need a back up if the Imagine has a temper tantrum. You cannot get enough money out of it to be worth your while...and to have regrets...awful thing to have. I still sew on my 234...almost 30 years later...it sews like a dream!

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

ghillie
ghillie
Member since 11/18/07
Send Message

In reply to loti <<

Date: 1/13/13 7:37 PM

Quote: loti

Absolutely! Don't do it!

JanyceR

JanyceR  Friend of PR
CO USA
Member since 2/3/07
online now
Send Message

In reply to loti <<

Date: 1/13/13 7:41 PM

I had a Bernette 334DS for about 17 years (bought it new in 1991) that I used a lot until 2008. I then purchased a new serger but I thought I should keep the 334 and have it set up for rolled hem. After a while I realized this really was sort of crazy as I had managed to switch for 25 years +- (back to my original 203) and I surely still could. Sold my old pal 334. It was tough to make the decision, but once I did, I never looked back. I think a symptom of SMAD may be a twinge of regret every time you sell a machine, and difficulty making that decision! - at least it is for me Long story short - you can do it!

------
Pfaff Creative Sensation Pro, Bernina 780,
B350SE,other Berninas, Pfaff Performance 5, several vintage - multiple manufacturers.
Love all my machines!

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 1/13/13 7:45 PM

Yes, I regret selling my Bernette 334DS. It was immaculate...someone who didn't know how to use it broke the lower looper and let it sit. It even had the little flip-up extension table and all the accessories. As suggested, save it as a backup and for the good memories of many projects made with it.
-- Edited on 1/13/13 8:20 PM --

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to loti <<

Date: 1/13/13 8:09 PM

Quote:
Yup.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
ON CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to loti <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/13/13 9:09 PM

When I upgraded my serger to a combo machine I wanted to get rid of the old serger. For the $ I could sell it for there was no big rush. I packed it up for 6 months and enjoyed my new shinny toy quilt free.. After a while I discovered a few short commings from the new machine, and set up both side by side.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

In reply to loti <<

Date: 1/14/13 0:57 AM

Sort of. When I bought my Imagine I sold my Brother 1034D. I didn't really have the room to keep it and I probably wouldn't use it that often if I still had it, but there's a part of me that wishes I still had it as a backup. I did sell it to a friend who otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford a new one, and I know she uses it a lot, so I at least feel good knowing it's in a good home.

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Ellure Plus BLR3
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 237 converted to treadle
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

DoggyGirl
star
DoggyGirl
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 10/15/06
Send Message

Date: 1/15/13 9:26 PM

How about keeping the Bernette as a back up until you get a third "main" machine? After all, it's likely that in a few years you will upgrade from the Imagine. Once the Imagine becomes a back up, then you won't need the Bernette anymore.

Beth

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Separation Anxiety

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Vogue Patterns 8191

photo
by: Cosso

Review
You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl SEWING CLASS 1 - Shopping Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Katy Bags

Katy Bags

Buy Now
StyleArc Felicity

photo
by: A Beginner...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.