SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > Edith Crowley's dress, Downton Abbey ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Edith Crowley's dress, Downton Abbey
kimdkus
kimdkus
Advanced Beginner
IL
Member since 7/31/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/13/13 10:42 PM

http://www.womansown.co.uk/celebrity-2/celebrity-gossip/on-tv-tonight-downton-abbey-itv1/

The above website shows Edith's gown, I love it, just love it and would love to find the pattern. Does anyone have any idea as to where I could find it?? I've searched the internet, but found nothing. Any ideas? Thanks all.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/14/13 0:33 AM

Here's a full-length shot of the dress.

Here are some tips by the designer, Caroline McCall, on what they used and why.

It's apparently inspired by a gown or the spirit of the designer Madeleine Vionnet, and here's an article about Mme. Vionnet's techniques, which are mind-boggling.

EvaDress is a pattern company that re-creates some vintage patterns, and here is a link to patterns from the 1930s (there's also a 1920s page).

-- Edited on 1/14/13 1:07 AM --

Judy Kski
star
Judy Kski  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL USA
Member since 10/26/08
Send Message

In reply to kimdkus <<

Date: 1/14/13 0:33 AM

Here is the link:

Edith Crowley's Dress

------
Judy

LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 8/4/06
Send Message

Date: 1/14/13 10:14 AM

I really loved the wedding dresses on the show --they are so modest, simple and beautiful.

meleliza
star
meleliza  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA
Member since 5/4/11
Send Message

Date: 1/15/13 8:36 PM

Oh, Edith's dress was so very lovely! So perfectly suited to her. What a contrast to Mary's awful shapeless un-womanly flat chested sack. Edith looked beautiful, what a heartbreak!

------
Melanie

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to kimdkus <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/15/13 8:42 PM

Me too. My heart went all a flutter when I saw the back of the gown. Perhaps it's a good thing the wedding didn't take as we'll have an opportunity to see Edith in another weddimg gown at some future date.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Subject: Edith Crowleys dress, Downton Abbey Date: 1/15/13 9:37 PM

Gorgeous...I liked Edith's dress better than Mary's.

Riordan
star
Riordan
Advanced
NE USA
Member since 7/7/05
Send Message

In reply to PattyE <<

Date: 1/15/13 10:46 PM

Quote: PattyE
Gorgeous...I liked Edith's dress better than Mary's.

Yes, so did I. She looked absolutely lovely! The dress was fluid and beautiful on Laura Carmichael's pretty figure. (Despite her letter to the Turkish Embassy in Season 1, and the friskiness with the farmer which wasn't very nice either, I like Lady Edith. I hope she continues to grow into the beautiful woman she is, and finds someone who loves and treasures her.)
carry
carry
Member since 10/26/07
Send Message

Subject: Edith Crowleys dress, Downton Abbey Date: 1/16/13 4:44 PM

Madame Vionet introduced the bias cut-this creates that fluid shape that became popular in the end of the 20's. and thru the 30's .Marys dress was still right for the date a little earlier.The boyiish figure, no waist to speak of no bust.Edith's dress was a little foreward, timewise The really amazing details on both dresses is what catches my eye.All the hand done embroidery and beading.As to patterns there are a few Vintage reproduction companies.Also with a little work you could transform modern evening dress patterns back to those styles.But it's the bias cut that you need. Here's to Lady Edith even if she didn,t pull off the wedding

kimdkus
kimdkus
Advanced Beginner
IL
Member since 7/31/12
Send Message

Date: 1/16/13 5:10 PM

Thank you all for responding!!! I really appreciate it. I like the weave thingie on the side of Edith's dress. That's what caught my eye and of course, the back with the long attached train. Very pretty.
-- Edited on 1/16/13 5:14 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> Edith Crowley's dress, Downton Abbey

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

McCall's 5548

photo
by: Sixtiesgir...

Review
You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Kids Hats Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Swing Shirt

Christine Jonson Swing Shirt

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.