SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Vintage Sewing > Please help! 1920s patterns ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Please help! 1920s patterns
Lory4000

Lory4000
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 1/27/08
Send Message

Date: 1/13/13 10:43 PM

My younger sister is a huge fan of The Great Gatsby and wants to do a challenge in which she wears 1920s fashion for several weeks. So far I have one pattern and saw a few others that were to her liking.

I have a few questions:

- Where can I find patterns that are of that era that are appropriate for a young 20 something girl? I was looking for day dresses and maybe a shirt/skirt combo she can wear to work.

- Are there any books that you recommend?

- I also wanted to find some applique or embroidery designs that I can add to the dresses for additional detail.

I feel a little out of my element so i'm not sure where to begin. Thank you so much for any ideas/suggestions you can provide.

sugarduck
star
sugarduck
Intermediate
FRANCE
Member since 2/7/10
Send Message

Date: 1/14/13 5:51 AM

You might look at Decades of Style (see their selection of 1920s patterns here). Reconstructing History also has several 1920s day dress patterns.

I hope you find something that would suit your sister. This sounds like a fun challenge!

echolalia
star
echolalia
Intermediate
Tasmania Australia
Member since 5/1/03
Send Message

In reply to Lory4000 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/14/13 6:11 AM

Eva Dress may have suitable patterns.

janine

------
Live each day as if it is your last.

LuceLu
star
LuceLu  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 8/4/06
Send Message

Date: 1/14/13 10:12 AM

The One Day Dress-- i think you can get it on Amazon. Also, BurdaStyle has some 20's style dresses. The dresses of the day were very simple, often on the bias. The neck and shoulders were the most important on the fitting as the rest of the dress was not form-fitting--Drop waist with some fitting at the hip perhaps. Don't forget the Cloche hat. The undergarments-- still had some type of a minimizer if well-endowed and girdle-- Reconstructing History has a pattern.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Lory4000 <<

Date: 1/14/13 7:19 PM

Fashions of the Early Twenties
The 1921 Philipsborn's Catalog
ISBN 0-486-29385-8

I like that one a lot. A paper back reprint of that catalogs January catalog for that year, and pretty big and intensive for men, women kids, shoes, even fabrics to order. Published by Dover Publications, that one would probably be a good one for that. I have that one. It's a reprint, and of course all line, pen and ink drawings but very detailed and easy to see all the fashions, and all the embroidery on all of them, and just all the decorative details in them.

Look here:

http://www.abebooks.com/9780486293851/Fashions-Early-Twenties-1921-Philipsborns-0486293858/plp

I got mine new in a bookstore, a while ago, but looks like Dover is not still publishing it new anymore, but maybe you could still find it in a new or used bookstore or maybe even your public Library might even have a copy of it. No sewing patterns in there at all, but very nice detailed illustrations, for anything you want to copy. Also just any Sears or Wards catalog (or reprint of any of those) of that same time.

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Lory4000 <<

Date: 1/14/13 7:48 PM

Pre-made up as already digitized as a computer file for you to feed to a machine kind of computerized hoop embroidery designs you might want to look for to decorate some of the garments, might be named more 1920's "Art Nouveau" or "Mission Style" embroideries, if you wanted to do that, though almost any embroidery could be on them, that looked of the period.

Something like some of these even maybe:
https://www.dakotacollectibles.com/comm/pack_detail.asp?packcode=ART1&packname=Art%20Nouveau§ion=Floral-Packs

I think more matt cotton thread on cotton, linen or wool might be better than shiny polyester thread though, but Rayon embroidery thread has been around for a very long time, and shiny rayon embroidery thread used back then too.

Just make sure that ones you put on garment are kind of garment suitable, and not more only for table cloths or linens or such, but I think just as a style, a huge cross over there anyways.

tlmck3
star
tlmck3
Advanced Beginner
Illinois USA
Member since 7/11/05
Send Message

Date: 1/14/13 8:13 PM

How much do you want to spend?

This looks perfect but the least expensive copy is $47.00

My Webpage

Oops! The link is to a book called Women's Wear of the 1920s with Complete Patterns.
-- Edited on 1/14/13 8:14 PM --

------
I am going for a level of perfection that is only mine... Most of the pleasure is in getting that last little piece perfect...Inspiration is for amateurs. The rest of us just keep showing up and doing the work.

Chuck Close, painter, printmaker, photographer

Hope has two lovely daughters: Anger and Courage

St. Augustine

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/31/09
Send Message

Date: 1/14/13 9:21 PM

Best Vintage Patterns is very reasonably priced, if you can find your size. Here's the link to the 20's patterns.

http://www.bestvintagepatterns.com/catalog.php/BestVintagePatterns/ct1844/Vintage_Patterns_1920s

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Lory4000 <<

Date: 1/14/13 9:25 PM

Also, if you actually want to buy a old 1920's pattern, McCalls brand would probably be a good one for that, just since they actually were printing cutting and sewing lines on them and such just like today, even back then. Most of the others would have no printed lines on them or printing on them and maybe even just blank tissue with little holes in a row cut in it to mark things instead. And just pre-cut blank tissue paper instead often even. If you get one of those used, it can be really hard to tell what the last person cut off of them, (before you, back in the 1920's when they made it for themselves) unless they marked it up first, with some pencil notes on it or such.

I'm not sure at what exact date McCalls printed on all the pattern tissue, but anything made 1924 and on for them, I think would have at least real ink printed on those pattern tissues.

Sewshable1
star
Sewshable1  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/15/13 2:49 AM

I think this One hour dress is what lucelu was thinking of.

------
You can judge the true character of a man by the way he treats the people
who can do nothing for him

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Vintage Sewing >> Please help! 1920s patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Dawn Anderson Designs 201

photo
by: julieb

Review
Other GertiesBook

photo
by: LDT2011

Review
Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Wrap Dress

Christine Jonson Wrap Dress

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.