SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Blaming the machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Blaming the machine
isn't always the best solution
GothDom
star
GothDom  Friend of PR
Advanced
OR
Member since 3/24/10
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 1/16/13 12:54 PM

So, I decided to try sewing with some stretch power knits.
Not at all my normal thing and I have almost no experience with them.

Annndd the thread kept getting frayed and snapping.

So, I rethreaded and tried again.
And then I replaced the bobbin thread and tried again.

It got to the point where I was considering dismantling the hook mechanism so that I could check it for burrs or other issues.

And then I thought to myself,
"Huh, I just made a silk blouse and it went perfectly!"
Followed by,
"Oh, I should probably switch to a ball point needle"

At which point, the machine sewed the powerknit flawlessly...

------
http://www.acdc-vintage.com
This one, that one, and a bunch of other ones!
(though the herd is getting more streamlined)

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to GothDom <<

Date: 1/16/13 12:56 PM

Isn't it amazing? Yes, currently I am having some problems, and I have to say I don't think it is them machine. Would that I would remember all the little and not so little things that can work together to cause problems. GOOD FOR YOU! Glad this worked. Is it your Genie? Such a charming and cute machine. :)

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

rmusic1
star
rmusic1
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 7/3/10
Send Message

Date: 1/16/13 12:59 PM

I recently posted something similar under "if your machine talks to you its best to listen". Yes, a machine can be a poor machine, but if it has previously sewed reliably I think there is more often than not other guilty culprits at work...glad you found the answer to yours.

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/16/13 1:03 PM

I'm always rankled by posts about slanted stitches "should I get a new machine???". It's always the needle-thread-fabric combo, and has nothing whatsoever to do the machine itself.

GothDom
star
GothDom  Friend of PR
Advanced
OR
Member since 3/24/10
Send Message

thumbsup 9 members like this.

Date: 1/16/13 1:08 PM

You would think i would know better...
(of course I did once disassemble and reassemble a Featherweight only to find that the problem was I'd put the needle in backwards...)

------
http://www.acdc-vintage.com
This one, that one, and a bunch of other ones!
(though the herd is getting more streamlined)

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 1/16/13 1:50 PM

OE (operator error) is probably 99.9% of the problem when the sewing is not as great as it should be.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/16/13 2:54 PM

You mean things like putting the needle in backwards in my Necchi? Or not having the bobbin thread pulling across the bobbin-which messes up the tension every time in my Singer? Almost every time rethreading the machine, redoing the bobbin, and putting in a new needle will solve the problem. This assumes of course the correct needle. Or resetting the tension when I've changed it for a previous project. I've been working with the cording foot and it has been a mess, threads catching and a general pain in the butt. Looked at a video online, and the threads went under the foot, not on the top. Threads go under the foot, bingo! no problems. Yes, something can be wrong with the machine. 95% of the time my machine problems are due to my own screwups. One time, my machine needed a tuneup, but it was 20 years overdue for itI agree, before you blame the machine, make sure the operator isn't messing anything up.
Mary

mkhpaintsew
mkhpaintsew  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IN USA
Member since 4/5/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/16/13 3:25 PM

I often forget what needle I have in the machine. I put a small piece of blue painter's tape on the front with the kind and size of the needle. It's not exactly pretty, but it keeps me aware of my needles. Of course it doesn't help if you don't remember to look at the tape. :)

LaurenEmme
LaurenEmme
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 9/13/11
Send Message

Date: 1/16/13 3:28 PM

Then there's my mom who had me look at her machine because it was making a terrible noise and constant thread nests. So I took the bobbin case out and in addition to the crazy amount of lint I cleaned out, I also removed the tip of a needle that had broken off and was jammed in the case. Showed it to my mom and she said "oh yeah, I broke a needle not long ago". Guess she wasn't concerned with where the broken needle tip ended up!

------
Bernina 330
BabyLock Ellure Plus BLR3
BabyLock Imagine
Singer 221
Singer 237 converted to treadle
Singer 27 treadle
Necchi BF

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to LaurenEmme <<

Date: 1/16/13 5:23 PM

Quote: LaurenEmme
Then there's my mom who had me look at her machine because it was making a terrible noise and constant thread nests. So I took the bobbin case out and in addition to the crazy amount of lint I cleaned out, I also removed the tip of a needle that had broken off and was jammed in the case. Showed it to my mom and she said "oh yeah, I broke a needle not long ago". Guess she wasn't concerned with where the broken needle tip ended up!

Good thing she has *you*!

I just had a terrible noise come out of the 7700... and as soon as it started, I stopped and took the bobbin case out, etc etc....

and boy oh boy... I found the mother of all dust bunnies in there... with one tiny piece of foam looking something-or-another (had to have been a tiny piece of stabilizer I used in a recent bag) ... and once that was out, the machine was back to bein' happy.

Oh.. and that foam piece was tiny-tiny ... as in about half the size of a small glass head on a quilting pin.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Blaming the machine

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl 200mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Purse Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.