SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Can a Queen Anne Cabinet be adapted to a 15-91? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Can a Queen Anne Cabinet be adapted to a 15-91?
Would like to keep the cabinet.
loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

Date: 1/17/13 4:34 PM

I have a Queen Anne Cabinet with a Singer 500 in it. I would like to pop my 15-91 in there to do a bit of FMQ, it's the exact height I need to push it up next to the dining room table to quilt.

The issue is that the base on the 500 fits the cut out perfectly, the 15-91 is shorter by an inch or so, and I think the mounting screws are spaced the same, but will be checking that next. Is there anything that I can buy to close the gap and convert it to the 15-91 or do I need to find another cabinet?

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

path49
path49
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 2/25/08
Send Message

In reply to loti <<

Date: 1/17/13 6:28 PM

Yes, but you'll need a Singer spring lift assist insert piece that attaches to the right of the machine. It screws on under the top surface & has a strong spring that actually makes the machine easier to lift up. And it has a hole to run your foot/knee control wire thru. You can see one installed here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Singer-Sewing-Machine-Cabinet-Fits-15-91-and-201-Lightly-Refinished-/221178477801?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item337f43bce9

There are always a LOT of them on ebay!

-- Edited on 1/17/13 6:30 PM --

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 1/17/13 6:37 PM

What you should probably do is get a QA that fits the 15-91. The QA you have is either a later version or was altered to accommodate the 500.

They are not so difficult to find on Craigslist or ebay, and you may want to get it refinished. You may have to get it with a machine in it already, but they are not difficult to swap out.

These are really lovely pieces of furniture and I hate to see them devalued by being altered. They may not be worth so much now, but in several years as they become more scarce, who knows?

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

In reply to path49 <<

Date: 1/17/13 6:46 PM

Thank you!! I will look for them, I really like the cabinet, and have already put in some time stripping the stool for it.

------
Coco Chanel

path49
path49
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 2/25/08
Send Message

In reply to Soolip <<

Date: 1/17/13 6:56 PM

The lift assist piece isn't really an alteration. My 201-2 in it's original #42 cabinet came from the Singer factory with one. And when I bought a really old Singer cabinet to redo for my 403A, I had to remove the original lift piece because, like the 500, my 403 fit perfectly without it.

NM gal
NM gal
Beginner
Member since 5/27/09
Send Message

Date: 1/17/13 6:58 PM

Love what Soolip said... it's true, these cabinets will become scarce soon. Mainly cause the new machines don't fit the old cabinets & alot of people haven't discovered how valuable a good cabinet is for your sewing.

I came to cabinets late.... have alot of vintage sewing machines but it wasn't until I acquired a 301 w/ cabinet did I learn my lesson. Already had a 301... freestanding... but the 301 w/ cabinet has the foot pedal next to the knee lever...... zowie! You just use your knee to run the machine & have both hands free. It's an absolute gas, you have soo much freedom.

Now we're on a quest to find cabinets to fit... most of them are REAL wood & aren't as heavy as the masonite they use in todays sewing cabinets. And it doesn't take much to fix them up. They don't take up much room either.

In fact in Phoenix, there are a couple of people that specialize in sewing cabinets only.

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

In reply to Soolip <<

Date: 1/17/13 7:28 PM

I didn't know that they made different versions of this cabinet with different sized cut outs.

They are lovely, I really liked the lines of it. The last owner painted it a robbin's egg blue and I'm almost finished stripping the stool and refinishing it.

------
Coco Chanel

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
California USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

Date: 1/17/13 7:33 PM

I may be mistaken I can't remember if the 500 has a different sized base than the 15-91 or 201s. I know that you can't put a 401 or 500 in a model 42 because it won't lower down into the bed because those machines are too tall for the cutout.

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

In reply to Soolip <<

Date: 1/17/13 7:44 PM

According to ISMACS

No. 42 Cabinet - Art Deco cabinet
15-90's, 15-91's, 201-2's and 301-1's

No. 40 Cabinet
(Queen Anne Style)
15-90's, 15-91's, 66-16's, and 301-1's

They only show the card table with the 500, no cabinet.... hmmmm.
The plot thickens... I need to find an original advertisement for the queen anne to see what it's shown with. Or to see if maybe there are holes for the lift device on my cabinet. Maybe they took it out to pop in the 500.

------
Coco Chanel

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 1/17/13 8:01 PM

I'm not sure what you're calling queen anne cabinet but i think its what i have with the curved legs and the 15-91 is in it now but i once measured and the 500 is the same size and hinge pins are the same distance. Have never tried to put the 500 in that cabinet but always liked knowing (thinking) that i could.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Can a Queen Anne Cabinet be adapted to a 15-91?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Class Details

Simplicity 9784

photo
by: cybperry

Review
PerfectFuse Light White

PerfectFuse Light White

More Info
Shapes Three Fold Vest Pattern

Shapes Three Fold Vest Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.