SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Would love help deciding which sewing machine to buy! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Would love help deciding which sewing machine to buy!
Muffins
Muffins
Member since 1/17/13
Send Message

Date: 1/17/13 9:38 PM

I'm getting into fashion design classes and I'm really having trouble deciding which sewing machine to buy.

I'm currently debating between the Janome sewist 500, HD1000, and HD3000. 350$ Is my max budget! I honestly know very little about sewing and I wish I could elaborate more on my needs, but I will be doing 90% garment sewing. The number of stitches doesn't matter to me- I have a feeling I will really only be using the straight stitch, but I do need it to be reliable!! I was reading previous threads about these, and while it seems like the general consensus is that the HD3000 is the best choice, the only actual forum post I saw reviewing it said it was only okay.

If anyone has any other sewing machine to recommend, do please tell! =)

Thanks!

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Muffins <<

Date: 1/17/13 9:59 PM

Have you looked at the dealers to see if you prefer the computerized machines to the mechanicals? You might like needle up/down and a few other computerized machine features. You know that computerized machines have been in common use now for a good 30+ years, so there is nothing new fangled about them.

Now with that said, I would go for the HD3000 easily since it is the descendent of a very tough solid make of Janome. Look up reviews for the Janome mechanicals here - they will come up - and you will see the body style on several that are like the HD3000. The SchoolMate S3023 is one of these as well and is still sold and might even be a more solid machine - I haven't seen it but it looks really nice. The Janomes in this sort of also include the very nice 5124, the Excel 5024, the wonderful NewHome-Janome 3123, and more.

Here is a great blog post about the HD3000!

My New Baby Janome

Very nice post and pictures. :)

Good luck and welcome to PR!!!!

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Muffins
Muffins
Member since 1/17/13
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/17/13 10:40 PM

There aren't any dealers that are close enough for me to get to, unfortunately! The closet place that sells sewing machines only carries Singers, and from what I've been reading that probably isn't the best choice.

My reasoning for going with a mechanical vs computerized is that I'd like to be able to take it apart and fix it if need be. My mother had a mechanical sewing machine that my father regularly fixed himself, and I'm very much a fix-it kinda girl. =) I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to do that if anything happened to a computerized one!

Thank you very much for the advice and welcome! =)

I think as of now, I'm currently leaning towards the sewist 500 just because of the slightly lower price tag. I honestly didn't know I would spend so much on a sewing machine- college student and all that, and the extra 50 dollars saved would get me a lot of groceries... But then, I do want it to be sturdy. Ah, decisions.

brendaj
brendaj
Member since 8/9/07
Send Message

Date: 1/17/13 11:12 PM

Have you considered a used machine? You would get more for your money on a good used machine. So many lower end machines are not as well made as they used to be. Before I purchased new, I would check out graigslist and local sales. There are so wonderful used machines in that price range and much lower. Tell everyone you meet that you want a sewing machine, you never know, someone might have a good study machine looking for a new owner. Older machines are easier to work on. There are so many yahoo groups and forums that offer all sorts of helpful information. The people on this forum are GREAT and full of information. Decide what kind of fabric you think you will be sewing and take samples with you when you go looking, even if it's a used one. Try to find a sewing mentor if you can. I love to help out new sewers and have helped many find machines. Good luck and enjoy.
brenda in MI

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/17/13 11:31 PM

Singer 1507. I have one. This model has pressure adjustment for light to heavy/thicker fabrics and the basic stitches needed for garment construction; straight, zig-zag and blind hemming.

This model sells for around $100. That leaves more money for sewing notions, including snips for trimming at the machine and quality shears for cutting fabric.

I had heard the same fallacies about Singer. I had to see for myself. In addition to the features I have already mentioned, this model is light enough to carry without having a chiropractor on retainer.

Singer Company website has overviews of their many models as well as "where to buy".

Regardless of what you decide on, learn the machine before taking it to class. I have found the best way to do this is to gather thread and a few fabric scraps and set down at the machine. Start at page one and as you read, apply. Go through the entire manual from bobbin winding through maintenance. This does not take very long and you will be more comfortable with the sewing process once you are in class.

-- Edited on 1/17/13 11:51 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

Date: 1/17/13 11:39 PM

The Sewist 500 is a great choice. I've seen people looking for this machine when attending fashion school in our area. Great price for what it is, too! You can buy them from dealers off eBay. I would consider the HD3000 the sturdier model...you would probably have that one forever.

Muffins
Muffins
Member since 1/17/13
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 0:10 AM

Thank you all so much for the advice. I seriously appreciate it!

I've looked on craigslist- that turned up three results, all of which had little to do with sewing machines! (Cars, really. I'm not sure how this happened haha)

My professor really recommended against lightweight sewing machines- She's a great lady and she told me it'd turn into a "walking" sewing machine, where as you try to sew, it'll move around.

We do have industrial Juki machines in the studio! I'm using them for all of my assignments; I just wanted a sewing machine for myself so I don't always have to go to campus to sew.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Muffins <<

Date: 1/18/13 0:15 AM

Actually the 500 is a very good machine. It would especially be a good machine to start with. I can't say that any of these machines isn't going to work for you, and they all might! You can use a mechanical machine a long time, and all they really need is the correct maintenance. Perhaps choosing one and using it a couple years will give you enough experience with it to know if the next machine you buy will be an industrial, a straight stitch or a more featured home sewing machine.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

Muffins
Muffins
Member since 1/17/13
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 2:09 PM

Okay! I'm sorry for being a totally indecisive person. Does anyone have experience with the Juki 35z? Will it sew through layers of fabric? It's cheaper than both the hd3000 and the sewist 500, and seems to be a good machine still!

brendaj
brendaj
Member since 8/9/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/18/13 3:24 PM

My favorite non computer machine is my Pfaff 1222e. I got it over 27 years ago used. It is wonderful and still going strong. Nice and heavy duty, doesn't walk around the table. Still in love after many years.
brenda in MI

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Would love help deciding which sewing machine to buy!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Self Drafted Pattern 60432-1029

photo
by: nicegirl

Review
Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Petite Plus 603 Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Victory Lola Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.