SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Looking for a blue jeans pattern ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Looking for a blue jeans pattern
kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 9:08 AM

I wear mostly Levi (501) jeans but they are getting harder to find for me and I would like to try sewing my own. Never sewed a pair of jeans in my life :eek:

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a pattern that does not look "home made"?

Any ideas are much appreciated.

------
Runs with scissors
Universal Deluxe Zig Zag from the 60's
Singer Quantum Stylist 9960
Singer Treadle 127 Egyptian
Juki MO 735

MommaMonster
MommaMonster
Member since 9/5/11
Send Message

In reply to kowgiirl.up <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/18/13 9:26 AM

Hi and welcome to the boards.

Keeping your stuff from looking home made is more about how you sew than the pattern you use. If you search you can find all kind of online tutorials that will walk you through it. And there's a great DVD called 'Jeans for Real People' that will help with fit and sewing technique.

I'm on my iPad and haven't figured out how to post links, but Butterick has a pattern that has an option very similar to the Levi's you wear...B5682 is the pattern number.

Kathi R
star
Kathi R  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 2/28/05
PR Weekend Volunteer
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 1/18/13 10:49 AM

I am also a long time fan of Levi's 501 ... I have had good luck with both the Jalie jeans and JStern pattern. Don't get discouraged, you will have to tweek any pattern you use to reduce the curvature at the hip and possibly straighten out the legs (reduce the boot cut flair) to mimic 501 styling and fit. I never bothered with a button fly - jeans that fit the way I wanted them to was close enough to the real deal for me. Don't use stretch denim, they won't feel like 501s.

I found that making jeans is much easier if you have 2 machines available - one set up with regular thread and one set up and ready to top stitch. This approach saves time in rethreading since top stitching is done at multiple points in the construction process. My best tip on top stitching is to use double thread through the needle ... can use regular sewing machine thread.

------
2012 : starting stash 386, net additions 206, used 164, ending stash 428...I'm never going to get in front of this pile of fabric!

kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 12:12 PM

Thanks MommaMonster & Kathi for the info and tips. I will check them out and hopefully find & learn how to use and make some.
-- Edited on 1/18/13 12:13 PM --

------
Runs with scissors
Juki MO 735

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 6:43 PM

If you Google image search "Sewing jeans" you will get a million photos of home-sewn jeans. It might help you to get started with the look you're going for.

You can also search the Review Gallery and limit to pants but you will have to filter out lots of things that aren't jeans.

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

Fictionfan
star
Fictionfan  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 5/19/06
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 7:13 PM

Craftsy.com has an online class with Kenneth D. King for making a pattern for your jeans from an existing pair and then how to cut and construct the jeans using the pattern you've made. He shows how to make a copy without taking apart the existing garment (in fact, that would be a very bad idea because the fabric won't hold the correct shape). He's pretty good at answering questions quickly. I like the craftsy online class format. I think they have a first-time discount if you haven't signed up for a class before.

The technique he shows would work for any garment, really. There was one person who criticized that he did not show how to put in rivets, topstitching, and that sort of thing, the things that make jeans look like jeans. I think it wouldn't be hard to figure out where to put in rivets if you want to have them, and most people just want the exact fit.

Personally, I think this is the better way to go than to try any of the dozens of jeans patterns commercially available. The patterns I've bought never fit the way store-bought jeans fit, except those Calvin Klein jeans patterns in the 1980s.

HTH

------
Fictionfan

dscheidt

dscheidt
Member since 6/8/09
Send Message

In reply to Fictionfan <<

Date: 1/18/13 9:12 PM

Quote: Fictionfan
Craftsy.com has an online class with Kenneth D. King for making a pattern for your jeans from an existing pair and then how to cut and construct the jeans using the pattern you've made. He shows how to make a copy without taking apart the existing garment (in fact, that would be a very bad idea because the fabric won't hold the correct shape). He's pretty good at answering questions quickly. I like the craftsy online class format. I think they have a first-time discount if you haven't signed up for a class before.

The technique he shows would work for any garment, really. There was one person who criticized that he did not show how to put in rivets, topstitching, and that sort of thing, the things that make jeans look like jeans. I think it wouldn't be hard to figure out where to put in rivets if you want to have them, and most people just want the exact fit.

Personally, I think this is the better way to go than to try any of the dozens of jeans patterns commercially available. The patterns I've bought never fit the way store-bought jeans fit, except those Calvin Klein jeans patterns in the 1980s.

HTH

I've taken lots of jeans apart to make patterns from; even put some of them back together again. As long as they're not so worn out as to be falling into pieces, the pieces will be the correct shape, in my experience. It also gives a good opportunity to examine the way they're constructed; all the commercial patterns I've looked at have horrible instructions, and often strange sewing order. (basic sewing order is back yokes, pockets, back center and crotch seam, front pockets, front crotch seam, fly, inseam, outseam, waistband, belt loops, rivets, button hole, button, hem)

Even if you work from a pair you're not willing to sacrifice, it's worth taking a pair apart (get some from a thrift store, don't need to be your size, nor necessarily your gender, if you can cope with the fly being backwards). Note the various seam allowances used, the sewing order (you can tell which seams are on top, if you look., where they fold a raw edge under versus overlocking it, where they overlock instead of folding, how the front pockets are attached to body. Take many more pictures than you think you'll need. Copying those details, and getting the top stitching to look good and straight and parallel [1] will go a long way to making them not look homemade.

[1] factories use double needle machines. you're not likely to get that perfect, but no one is going to be measuring with a ruler, either.
Scheri
star
Scheri  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 7/13/10
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 1:39 AM

Have you checked Angela Wolfs patterns for jeans?

------
Scheri Manson
Edmonton, AB CANADA

Cosmotis
star
Cosmotis  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New York USA
Member since 8/25/10
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 9:35 AM

I can highly recommend Jennifer Stern's Blueprint to Blue Jeans class here on PR when it comes around again. I love her pattern and really like the jeans I made in the class! She's a very patient teacher, and the class walks you through everything, including that pesky fly front! I don't see it offered right now, but if it comes around again, you might consider it. It really helped me with a lot of pants issues!

kowgiirl.up
kowgiirl.up
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 12/28/12
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 3:20 PM

Gosh, I don't even know where to start quoting. I did not expect to get so much help to be honest. This is awesome!
Thank you all for taking the time to share it with me.

I don't want to babble on about me in this thread but just suffice it to say that I do have tons of experience with commercial sewing machines but not a lot with home/hobby sewing. I will start another thread in the proper section to talk a little more about this.

------
Runs with scissors
Juki MO 735

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Looking for a blue jeans pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Kwik Sew 3460

photo
by: MysteryWom...

Review
Simplicity 9902

photo
by: HOWsMom

Review
Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress

Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress

Buy Now
SewBaby Easy Pieces Pants Pattern

SewBaby Easy Pieces Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.