SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fitting Woes > Coat Muslin Advice ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Coat Muslin Advice
My First Attempt
MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/18/13 3:01 PM

I'm making Burda 7735

Here is the link to a series of muslin photos.
Burda 7735 Muslin photos
The muslin fabric is a silk blend of similar weight to the fashion fabric I plan to use. I tucked some shoulder pads in place and am wearing it over a light garment.

I would love any suggestions you might have for altering the fit, especially across the upper back, shoulders and sleeves.

It feels comfortable with no pulling or tightness and I am able to lift my arms comfortably.

I've been watching way too much Downton Abbey and expect my garments to look like I have a personal tailor.

-- Edited on 1/18/13 3:03 PM --

------
Barb
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison
"I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow." Woodrow Wilson

Debbie Lancaster
star
Debbie Lancaster  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 9/18/02
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 3:09 PM

Is it that you want it to fit you like a glove? It wouldn't be particularly comfortable that way (or you'd have it wear it with skin-tight clothes underneath). I think it looks good the way it is, especially if you think it's comfortable. It's definitely not too big, and once you add a lining it will fit somewhat more snugly.

The only things I see a possible issue with is the bust point might have to be lowered just a bit, and the sleeve might need to be rotated forward a little.
-- Edited on 1/18/13 3:11 PM --

------
Debbie

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 4:11 PM

No, not looking for skin tight. I just want it to fit like a coat with no sagginess or bagginess. Thanks for your suggestions.
-- Edited on 1/18/13 4:51 PM --

------
Barb

BettyMike
star
BettyMike  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 2/12/04
online now
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 4:17 PM

Barb- the main thing I see is the fold on the sleeve. I'm at work, so I can't look up the alteration for that, but I did it on my jean style jacket, and it was a simple fix.

------
betty/mikie

simplystitches
simplystitches
New York USA
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

Date: 1/18/13 10:46 PM

Yeah! At least one of us is having some success!

I'm w/cyclegirl the only thing I see is the small wrinkle in the front sleeve. I got that on my cardi (only much worse) and when I released the seam and let the sleeve cap drop it went away. Try picking out the stitches at the cap between the top notches and see if dropping the cap (mainly front) will allow that wrinkle to relax.

Debbie

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 2:49 AM

Great pattern and great fit: not too tight, nit too roomy.

I'd second that the only ''fitting''-related thing concerns the upper sleeves. Did you compare your measures against the sleeve cap height of the pattern?

Personally, I'd consider doing a tiny tweak on the silhouette of the front seams of the ''skirt'' of the coat and the sleeves from ellbow to wrist: in both areas, I'd slightly take a bit of volume out. Not much, just a little, blending to the original seams at the waist and ellbow, respectively. But that may be just me and just a shape thingy, not a fit issue.

One last thing: are the side seams perpendicular to the floor or slightly pulling forward? Can't really tell from the pics.

Very promising muslin, the end result will be fabulous!

------
Happy Sewing!

MNBarb
starstarstarstar
MNBarb  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/10
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 9:16 AM

Thanks for the tips.

Yes the sleeve needs some help.

I will check the side seam. I was so focused on whether or not the waist seam was even I forgot to check the SS but that is a typical problem for me.

Do you mean to take some volume out of the "skirt" and sleeve?

------
Barb

GBK

GBK  Friend of PR
Intermediate
GERMANY
Member since 12/24/07
Send Message

In reply to MNBarb <<

Date: 1/19/13 9:48 AM

Quote: MNBarb
Do you mean to take some volume out of the "skirt" and sleeve?

Yes, that's what I mean. Re: the sleeves, if you look at image 2/10 and watch the silhouette from the shoulder tip down to the wrist, the sleeves have quite some ''flare''. (At image 3/10, your wrist ''matches'' the sleeve seam so the sleeves kinda stick out, if that makes sense?)
It's a matter of personal preference but for this coat, I'd personally taper the sleeves a bit from ellbow towards hem so that there is less flare.

Re: the volume of the ''skirt'', again, it's a totally subjective thing but to me, the silhouette of the back is the one of a classic trench (images 1/10 or 3/10) while the front has a bit of ''swing'' (i.e. image 2/10). Hence, I'd slightly take out about half an inch at the front seams.

In any case: the coat looks like a true winner!

------
Happy Sewing!

Nursebennett
Nursebennett
Advanced Beginner
Alabama USA
Member since 1/7/10
Send Message

In reply to GBK <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 1/19/13 10:18 AM

What a lovely"muslin" that is. Lovely coat and if this is the muslin I can't wait to see the real deal.

Posts like this discourage and inspire me in equal amounts. I see nothing wrong with the fit and would dance with joy if I sewed anything that fit so well. I am left wondering why others see needed improvements that I can't see and doubting that I can ever produce such a complicated project, BUT, at the same time inspired that it IS possible if I keep trying.

Thank you for sharing the pictures and look forward to seeing more!

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 12:30 PM

Would you think I was a bit nutty if I suggested you try the fit out in your car? Mass transit is not available here and coats, as little as we need them, need to be comfortable to wear while driving.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Coat Muslin Advice

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Islander Sewing Systems - MyStyle Greetings

Buy Now
Fanny Pack or Purse

Fanny Pack or Purse

Buy Now
Self Drafted Pattern 211758-1001

photo
by: JustineSew...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.