SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Want recommendations for a sewing machine light ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Want recommendations for a sewing machine light
Looking for one with a magnetic base
Shopgirl61
Shopgirl61
Member since 1/9/13
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 3:25 PM

I want to add a light to the front of my new (to me) Sailrite LS-1 sewing machine and I would like to have one with a magnetic base to attach to the steel case. Preferably LED lights. Anyone using one that they especially like?

There are no computers in this machine so please don't tell me not to look for a magnet.
Thanks,
Deb

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA
Member since 3/4/05
Send Message

In reply to Shopgirl61 <<

Date: 1/19/13 3:38 PM

Here's a few options on eBay:
magnetic LED lights

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 5:25 PM

Portable & bright!

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Scrnme007
Scrnme007  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 4/5/11
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 0:48 AM

The bendable bright light is pretty good... it has an LED that is great for pointing at the needle area. It can be pricey but it gives good light. I can't vouch for similarly named imitators. The "Bendable Bright Light" .

The other light I just bought last month was the strip LED lights. I think mine has 6 LED'S, you pick the correct size for your own machine. These are even more expensive than the BBL, but it is worthwhile. I purchased at my local shop, but I think Nancy's Notions has the same strip lights. She did have the Bendable Bright Lights too, I'm not sure is she still has them. She had them through December.

Both of these are stick on, but there's no reason you couldn't attach a magnet strip to them. The easiest to convert would be the strip light because it's so light and has good surface area. The BBL would need a stronger magnet.

The hat idea is actually pretty good, and along the same line I use the petzl e+LITE camping head lamp. The tiny one in the red case. It's small, light, aimable hardly noticeable on the head. Great for travel, camping, reading - very multipurpose.

-- Edited on 1/20/13 0:50 AM --

------
SewWannabe-SewReady

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 7:22 AM

I got a pack of 2 of the bendables. They aren't bad but I really don't like the space they take up for the small radius of bright light provided. It installed by sticking a velcro circle to my machine and the light sticks to that. It would look best on a flat surface to attach to (my machine is curved plastic) but so far my curved surface has held. The attachment base is bulky though it and bumps the side of my travel case.
I thought I wouldn't like the LED strip mounted inside as I didn't want to reduce that small area any further but I am going to give that a go next. I need a larger area of the harp lit- not just the small bright circle the bendable offers. I keep forgeting to turn it off so I am burning through lots of hours- once went 4 days before discovering it!
-- Edited on 1/20/13 7:39 AM --

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

SandiMacD
star
SandiMacD  Friend of PR
Intermediate
FL
Member since 2/8/09
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 7:30 AM

I just found this link which offers a way to turn off you machine and the lights.
http://ecoluxlighting.com/

------
sewing brings joy and meaning to my life...

dukaqwn

dukaqwn
Intermediate
MS USA
Member since 2/12/09
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 9:06 AM

I had the same machine you have. I liked the bendable light that SailRite sells separately the best. It is kind of pricey at about $40, but it is bendable and works really well. Can't remember if it is magnetic or not, but it stayed in place with no trouble.

------
http://sewtarot.blogspot.com/

schmammy
star
schmammy  Friend of PR
TX USA
Member since 12/5/06
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 11:10 AM

Check at Ikea. They are my go-to source for all things lighting!

------
Indecision may or may not be my problem. -Jimmy Buffet

http://chihuahuaonmylap.blogspot.com/

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 3:07 PM

I know you said you wanted a magnetic light but let me suggest an alternative. Sewing Machine Light
I ordered one because it was highly recommended by another PR member. And, I love it. I can move it away when it's not in use, I don't have to mar my machine with magnets or stickies, and I get a very bright pin-point light that I can aim directly at my needle!
One downside is that the head (or bulb end) is a bit heavy and takes some adjusting to keep it from dropping downward.
But it's very bright and very adjustable.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 9:17 PM

I don't like any sewing machine or sewing on purpose kind of lights all that much and still not if my only overhead light near a machine. I think none of them on any machine, anyplace, are really as good as a nice big expensive over head more pull down and swing where ever you wish, lab kind of light, that fastens down onto your table top surface, very positionable and have moveable bendable arms like little shocks there, and has a magnifying center and a flip closed door for that. You get things like that, more like at a electronics store or maybe a Scientific supply or lab store instead. I would just get one of those kind instead actually.

But it's true, you can stick a magnet on any light you want, LED and battery or more plug into the wall just anything, as long as it's not all plastic there. In that case I guess you might have to go velcro or something instead. One thing you don't want to do though, is end up sewing over an electrical cord, as I think your needle going though the wiring on that, would be a real bad thing, particular if the place you were touching the machine at the same moment was metal there too.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Want recommendations for a sewing machine light

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

StyleArc Alice Top

photo
by: Red Dragon

Review
SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

SewBaby Alphabet Take-Along book Pattern

Buy Now
Miranda Day Bag

Miranda Day Bag

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.