SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > How to adjust clothes for aging men? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How to adjust clothes for aging men?
Baggy pants
snipsnip
snipsnip
Member since 12/26/12
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 3:43 PM

I would like to bring my husband's behind back to life in his jeans. Because of the ever expanding waistline, the bigger sizes he's buying have a tendency to hide his real assets. Is there a good resource out there on how to fix a man's pants to adjust for these changes? Everything seems geared toward women.

simplystitches
simplystitches
Intermediate
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to snipsnip <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/19/13 4:02 PM

Mine has the same prtoblem. I don't have any real alteration advice but a few suggestions. Well I do but jeans are a royal pain to alter!

We found with DH that there was a varying amount of baggy/saggy behind fit based on the brand, with some worse than others. The ones that we found that gave him the best fit were the basic mens jean from Old Navy.nayy

I know most men hate to clothes shop but we went together so he could try on many styles/brands until we found one that I thought fit the best on the backside and he thought were still comfortable. They most definately look better!

Debbie

snipsnip
snipsnip
Member since 12/26/12
Send Message

In reply to simplystitches <<

Date: 1/19/13 4:11 PM

Mine absolutely refused to try on at a store. He likes those cheapy cheap jeans from the farm store, because his wear out so fast. He doesn't want me buying a pair of Dockers (which always fit the backside beautifully) because he rips holes in them at work. Maybe he'd be happy with Dockers from the Goodwill.

I could see jeans being a major pain to alter. I started ripping an old pair apart just to see the construction. Oh my. That's a job. It was a therapeutic diversion while watching the tube, though.

Do you have these problems, too?:

Rounding upper back causing collar to ride back away from the neck.
Shirts getting too tight around the middle but too big if bought up a size.
Drooping shoulders.

They have some very nicely cut shirts these days for the svelte men, which mine no longer is. lol I'd love to help him get his clothes looking better, but am a better personal trainer than seamstress. He'd rather I be a better seamstress, as the personal training doesn't interest him.
-- Edited on 1/19/13 4:16 PM --

Annie- oh
star
Annie- oh
Intermediate
Colorado USA
Member since 2/7/04
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 1/19/13 4:21 PM

Thanks for this info about brands!!

I do sew dress and Hawaiian shirts for DH and I learned to quietly add a bit to the side seams around the middle.

Anyway, I wouldn't appreciate an immature svelt man - hahaha.

------
I try all things. I achieve what I can. "Moby Dick"

We stand here confronted by insurmountable opportinities. Pogo

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 1/19/13 5:20 PM

Suspenders!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

simplystitches
simplystitches
Intermediate
Member since 2/12/06
Send Message

In reply to snipsnip <<

Date: 1/19/13 8:31 PM

Round upper back-check
Tight middle-check
Drooping shoulders-on a larger size shirt-youbetcha! Plus the next size up is actually too big all the way around.

I tried telling him he had a round upper back and his reply was "I do not!" I informed him that the way he was yanking his t-shirts forward at the shoulders so that the front wasn't strangling him in the throat was a round back.LOL Don't mess with somebody that knows cause and effect and alterations!

How about a compromise? If you like the way the Dockers look on him how about some that he wears when he's not working or at the least if you go out somewhere together?

Debbie

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to snipsnip <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 1/19/13 10:06 PM

I think we're discussing Ann Rowley's flat butt alteration.

With time, characteristic sexual differences--as some of us may have noticed--make themselves more evident.

When I was in my early forties, I was walking with my mother and stepfather on the local wharf. Men always walk faster, of course, and my mother (not a humorous woman), watched the guys ahead of us and noted, "Isn't it the truth? Men lose their butts, and women's busts just get bigger and bigger."

I eyeballed the kinsmen ahead and noted the possible truth of her observation there, but at the time I was quite slim, so I peered down my front, still pretty inadequate compared to Mom, who could have used that expanse as a cocktail tray (!), and disagreed with her.

However, time and fat have proved her generalization to be true.

snipsnip
snipsnip
Member since 12/26/12
Send Message

In reply to simplystitches <<

Date: 1/20/13 0:22 AM

I'd like to see the Dockers fit on all of his jeans. I did find a nice men's jeans pattern (hot patterns I think) that had good reviews. As a beginner, it might take me some time to work up to that level. I'd like to get oversized jeans at the Goodwill and see if I can adapt a good pattern fit for him.

There really are no RTW clothes for older men's bodies, imho. They're all going to need altered. I'd like to get a few basic patterns made just for him and then build him a wardrobe that fits from there.

Oh, I do like dreaming big!

kathi s

kathi s
Beginner
California USA
Member since 1/23/03
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 1:00 AM

I think it would be more trouble to try and alter an existing pair of jeans than it would be to make them from scratch. If you could find something that fits, you could take it apart and develop a pattern from it.

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to snipsnip <<

Date: 1/20/13 1:10 AM

Why not try something like the Craftsy Jeanius class?-take a well-fitting pair of Dockers and copy them with jeans fabric.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> How to adjust clothes for aging men?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Kwik Sew 3142

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress

Victoria Jones Collection 309 Womens' Long Dress

Buy Now
Simplicity 5329

photo
by: guineveres...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.