SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Cutting the Cable Tv Cord-Internet Anyone? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Cutting the Cable Tv Cord-Internet Anyone?
Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 1:44 AM

I am sick and tired of paying high fees to Comcast for my "triple play" package-phone, tv, internet. My husband is usually the oinly one who watches-I will watch during baseball season. So I am thinking of getting one of those Roku boixes or something similar and going to the internet for tv. My DH will have to watch his Swamp People and Duck Dynasty (ughhh)on Hulu maybe.
Does anyone else do internet tv? Or found a way to rid themselves of Cable tv. There always seems to be so much crud on there!
Advice please!

------
Babylock Spirit, Brother ULT 2002D, Janome 6500P, Janome 1600P-DB, Babylock Eclipse SX, Juki MO654DE, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX, Singer 15-91

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/20/13 8:47 AM

Some friends of ours were telling us about that Roku box thing. They cannot get all TV channels and have it in addition to cable TV, but they like it because they said (I think) they were able to watch all the seasons of certain TV shows.

Would your DH lose sports channels like ESPN, etc., or would he even care? THAT's how our cable TV companies rob us blind... all those channels are in the more expensive packages and DH has to have them.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VT USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/20/13 9:42 AM

If you live in a metro area, a digital antennae will get you a good number of channels. And if you have a Wii or pretty much loads of other devices (DVD player sometimes, computer, etc.) you can stream Netflix which isn't expensive. Even in the sticks I have a friend who gets 6 channels and has the antennae - out of the air as it were. I wish I could do that too but I have to admit there are a few things I watch on non-network channels and the family has a plethora of favs not in the air.

Had to add that without your COMCAST you will need phone service again though and that is in itself ridiculously expensive. SO, with internet added into your cost you might not save a lot - good idea to start shopping around if that is possible for another triple play service! I saved 100 a month when we went to a municipal triple service here. COMCAST is way too big.
-- Edited on 1/20/13 9:45 AM --

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 9:59 AM

We have Verizon phone + FIOS internet for $100 a month. Is that a lot? I don't know. We don't watch TV, so didn't want the cable part of the package.

Our beloved video rental place (a quirky local business run by film buffs) just closed, so we may need to do Netflix or something like it if we want to watch movies at home.

We hardly use the phone anymore -- it's almost all telemarketers and political fundraising calls. I wish we could get a regular landline that would work during power outages and cancel the FIOS phone.

Nikki
starstarstarstar
Nikki  Friend of PR
Advanced
MD USA
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 10:10 AM

I have the $12/month "super basic" cable that is just the local networks, from comcast. The main reason that I have the basic cable is to get a better rate for the internet service. I only watch live tv once or twice a year, and watch everything else on netflix via either dvd or streaming. Hulu plus is good if you want current runs of tv shows. Netflix has older tv shows and movies.

The streaming availability is much less than the dvd availability on netflix, but a lot of tv shows are available streaming. The streaming movie selection tends to the more obscure...

------
mmmmm woooool

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
IA USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to Mrs.Moos <<
thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 1/20/13 12:01 PM

I am not up on the latest services for TV/Phone/Internet so can't help there but I am so glad to see that there are others who do not watch much TV.
Whenever it comes up and I say I don't watch TV people look at me as if I am some kind of weirdo.

------
Ada

Mrs.Moos
star
Mrs.Moos  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/5/02
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 1:10 PM

So my DH watches that Anthony person that eats weird stuff, Swamp People, Duck Dynasty, the Gold Miner show and all those shows about Bigfoot, aliens, the end of the world etc etc and the occasional football game and then baseball (which I will watch). I think I can subscribe to an online MLB service or maybe some will be on air with an antenna or basic cable. It just seems like I pay SO MUCH for this stupid On Demand thing when really DH only watches a couple of hours of tv- a night-if that. Comcast seems to be a monopoly!

------
Babylock Spirit, Brother ULT 2002D, Janome 6500P, Janome 1600P-DB, Babylock Eclipse SX, Juki MO654DE, Janome Coverpro 1000CPX, Singer 15-91

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 1/20/13 1:42 PM

We have a Roku, my husband loves it, but I've never used it. For local channels I have an antenna and for the fun channels like HGTV I have a Dish Network plan that has been $9.99 a month for the last 3 years that just went up to $14.95. They gave it to me after I wanted to cancel. It has my favorite channels and about 6 freebies every month.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<
thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 1/20/13 2:13 PM

I know what you mean - a good friend of mine watches ALL the reality show and then wants to chat about them - of course, the conversation doesn't go very far since I have no idea what she is talking about.

------
Kemish

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 1/20/13 3:02 PM

Quote: AdaH
I am not up on the latest services for TV/Phone/Internet so can't help there but I am so glad to see that there are others who do not watch much TV.

Whenever it comes up and I say I don't watch TV people look at me as if I am some kind of weirdo.

Yep, same here.
Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Cutting the Cable Tv Cord-Internet Anyone?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

McCall's 6503

photo
by: Natasha Jo...

Review
Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop MixIt Shirt, Top & Tank Pattern

Sewing Workshop MixIt Shirt, Top & Tank Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 2656

photo
by: thecurious...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.