SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Problem Printing Lekala patterns ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Problem Printing Lekala patterns
Where is the 10x10cm/4x4in grid test?
paulakiss
star
paulakiss  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Indiana USA
Member since 1/14/10
Send Message

Date: 1/21/13 2:44 AM

I couldnít find any other threads about printing problems with Lekala, so Iím asking for some help hereÖ I am so frustrated with Lekala patterns right now! I bought a bunch of patterns on the 99 cent sale and I'm so excited to get started! I bought fabric and lace for some nighties...

But, now I'm having trouble printing the patterns. When I ordered, the website said to use coupon code TEST to get a 10x10cm/4x4in grid test pattern/page. The email I got with the test attached said:

Quote:
The preview has been processed for your very measurements and is attached to this e-mail as a .pdf file. It comes on 10x10 cm or 4x4 inches grid for your convenience. The purpose of preview is for you to check the actual size of the details and make preliminary calculations on how much fabric you'll need.

There was nothing that resembled the test grid. The pdf is 209 blank pages and one page that showed the layout of the pattern on letter size pages. It measured like 6"x10.5". Grrr.

I tried printing a couple pages of the actual finished pattern they sent in another email. I ordered them in pdf letter size. The instructions say to use no scaling. I did that. I keep getting margins. Ok, no problem. So I tried to just overlap the margins when laying out the pages. No matter what I do, the lines on the pages do not line up. I have played with my printer settings for hours!

I emailed Natalia at Lekala. And she doesn't even understand what the test grid thing is supposed to be! I understand they speak a different language, but I was very clear and this was her initial response:
Quote:
You should have a PDF file with numerous pages and the first one says where it's Letter or A4. You then print out those pages, stick them together according to the scheme on the cover page and cut out the patterns.

I want something I can print out and measure to see if I have the settings right. Otherwise, I'll have to print out 30+ pages of the pattern, tape it together, and measure to see if its right! That's like hours of work. I have gone back and forth with Natalia and this is her last response:
Quote:
There might be margins on printed pages just because most printers are unable to use the whole area of the paper sheet. If you are positive you print the patterns without any scaling you should be getting them right.
I'll be talking to our techs re calibration area that they could probably include right onto the first page, and that would make the whole process easier.

No response to the fact that the pattern lines won't match up. Just a "you should be getting them right". I just don't feel like wasting paper, time, and frustration on a "maybe".

Sorry for my rant. Anyone have any advice?

PS. I just got another response from Natalia and she just says she is limited on what her technicians can do. What does that mean? I canít be any clearer in asking her for what was offered all over the website, the test pattern grid to see if my printer settings are correct. Wow.

-- Edited on 1/21/13 2:48 AM --
sfshaza
star
sfshaza
Advanced
California USA
Member since 9/12/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/21/13 8:57 AM

I've just been through a similar exchange with Lekala, Paula. I also asked for a registration square and was told they will work on that.

When you print with no scaling, there should be a border around the pages of about 1cm. I cut off the border on one short side and one long side (where the dashed lines are), overlapped, and taped. I then cut out the pattern pieces.

I just finished this process an hour ago. I have yet to cut out the fabric. I am hoping for the best and will report back.

------
http://communingwithfabric.blogspot.com/

paulakiss
star
paulakiss  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Indiana USA
Member since 1/14/10
Send Message

In reply to sfshaza <<

Date: 1/21/13 2:29 PM

Thanks so much sfshaza! Please let me know how it goes!

Natalia just sent me test patterns for all of the patterns I bought. Great right? The grid showing the layout of the pattern measures 19.25x18 cm, nowhere near 10cmx10cm. ugh.

I see what you mean about the 1cm margins. After cutting them off, most of the lines on the finished pattern line up. But I still don't know if this is going to make the pattern 1cm off on each page. That would make it waaayyy too small!

And the test patterns are to show the layout of fabric and see how much fabric I will need. The test pattern layout is completely different than the layout on the completed pattern layout for my same measurements. ugh. And the squares aren't the same size as letter size pages on the test pattern, so how would I be able to tell how much fabric I will need?

I emailed natalia again. Hopefully she can tell me what to do. I have never had this problem when printing Hot patterns! They have a test square to make sure you're printing at the right size. ugh.

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

In reply to paulakiss <<

Date: 1/21/13 2:50 PM

I've printed a few Lekala patterns. I haven't gotten around to making them yet, but from the flat pattern measurements they seem to be right on scale and I don't have issues with the lines not matching up. From what I can tell the program they are using to generate the patterns is taking consideration of the 1cm margins. Are you on a Mac or PC? I printed mine from a PC.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

In reply to paulakiss <<

Date: 1/21/13 3:14 PM

I've printed the few I bought and sewed up a skirt - it was perfect, perfect fit right out of the envelope. I was so impressed with the fit and drafting.

I do get margins on my prints using the "no scaling" method. I cut off the left side and bottom of each one, then glue together in columns. I then glue the columns together.

Can you just print out the sheets which comprise a major piece, then stick those together and flat pattern measure?

Good luck!

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

Geep
Geep
Intermediate
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 1/23/09
Send Message

In reply to Vivienne <<

Date: 1/22/13 6:52 AM

I recently printed and sewed uo a dress - like vivienne, I cut the bottom and one side off before taping with the lines matching, the fit was perfect first time.
I think there's some confusion over what they mean by a test pattern - when I looked at their site, i interpreted that to mean that they suggest you order one of their free patterns using your measurements and make up a muslin. If it fits, go ahead with your measurements for your actual order. If it doesn't, adjust the measurements as needed before ordering a pattern you have to pay for. I didn't bother with this step as the patterns are so cheap to start with.
While I agree that having a test square would be reassuring, the option to choose your paper size should mean its not needed, and as I'm in the UK where the standard size is A4 rather than letter, makes my life much easier!
Hope it works out for you,
Gemma

Marcia R
Marcia R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 4/16/09
Send Message

Date: 1/22/13 12:10 PM

I was very interested to read about all the printing problems since I was not able to even place the order on the website. Every time I went to check out the system asked me to register, which I did, then it would just send me through the same loop but never allowing me to complete the order. I tried on three different days, and then just gave up. Did anyone else have this experience?

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

In reply to Marcia R <<

Date: 1/22/13 1:03 PM

Are you using the Russian version, or the US one?

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

paulakiss
star
paulakiss  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Indiana USA
Member since 1/14/10
Send Message

Date: 1/23/13 7:54 AM

Well, finally after playing with my printer settings (I was getting 1 cm margins on one side and on top then 1 1/2 cm margins on bottom and other side) and using a pdf viewer, I am getting even 1cm margins and printing the first pattern.

clothingengineer: I'm using a pc. Thanks for the info on the margins! That really helps!

Vivienne: Thanks for that idea about printing out all the pages of one major piece of a pattern and then measuring. I get so emotional about my sewing sometimes and I was so frustrated that I didn't even think of that! And several of the patterns I bought have so many gathers and design elements that I wasn't sure I could get an accurate measurement at first. But this first top looks like is right on and will fit.

Geep: I understand what you're saying, but on the right side of the very front page and all pattern category pages the website says:

Quote:
Free Preview
Use coupon TEST to receive free sewing pattern previews on handy 10x10 cm (4"x4") grid.

I took this to mean that I would get a free preview on a a "handy" 10x10cm grid I could use to measure to make sure my printer settins were right. I put TEST where it says "coupon code" in the shopping cart to get the free preview of the pattern I bought. Natalia did say that they are unable to do the TEST free preview pattern with any of the free patterns. What you will get is the whole pattern even though the email will say it is a test preview.

Marcia R: I had that problem at first too. For two days I tried calling and couldn't get customer service, so I emailed them and they did some kind of reset for me. Maybe try emailing them? Maybe it's a difference between the Russian and US sites like clothingengineer said.

It seems like the test free preview patterns are useless even for figuring out how much fabric will be needed like Natalia said it was for... Since none of the layouts in my test patterns resemble the layouts of the finished complete patterns I purchased. And there's no telling what the measurements of the squares are because they are not letter size, so there is no way to tell how many inches the squares are to add together to figure out how much fabric I would need.

OH! Btw, I did ask Natalia if the 10cmx10cm grid means that the squares in the free preview patterns measure 10x10cm. That would at least help in figuring out how much fabric is needed for the pattern... But, she didn't know and said she'd ask the tech people... I still haven't heard back from Natalia...

At least I can be fairly confident with the 1cm margins that my printer settings are right and the patterns should fit.
-- Edited on 1/23/13 7:57 AM --
Little umbrella

Little umbrella
Intermediate
Alberta CANADA
Member since 6/26/07
Send Message

In reply to Marcia R <<

Date: 1/23/13 12:34 PM

I was trying to order from here. Now this is what happened to me( I post this in another topic, I'm just copy and past it here) "Itís good to know I'm not the only one who has problems with their web site. I bought a 50 unite password through one of the website that provided by Lekala. When I tried to activate my password I tried at least Five times, but still didn't get email from them. I thought maybe there is something wrong with my password. Then for the test purpose I ordered a free pattern from the web site, itís almost one day now, but I still didn't get it. I even tried to write to their customer service a couple days ago, no response till now. Iím very frustrated right now!"

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Problem Printing Lekala patterns

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

StyleArc Debra Zebra Top

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Butterick 5606

photo
by: sewingform...

Review
Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Sewing Workshop Village Bag Pattern

Buy Now
Beginner Sewing Lab 101 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 101  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.