SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sew Alongs > TNT basics pattern sew-along ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
TNT basics pattern sew-along
BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Subject: Basics sew-along - Develop TNT patterns Date: 1/22/13 1:49 PM

On another thread, some of us were talking about what we consider our "basics" & how great it would be to have TNT patterns for them. I've decided to start this sew-along so we can support each other as we work on this goal. No rules really. Make your own list & set your own time frame. For me, this will be a year long plan. Everyone's welcome to join!

Wardrobe basics that I would like to have TNT patterns for:
1. Basic knit top (with neckline & sleeve variations)
2. Cardigan DONE (KS 2759)
3. Woven pull over top (DONE)
4. Princess seam button down shirt
5. Semi-fitted button down shirt DONE (M5138)
6. Vest
7. Boot-leg trousers
8. Knit pants (slim fit & flare leg)
9. Woven pants (pull on style for linen)
10. Knit dress
-- Edited on 1/22/13 2:03 PM --
-- Edited on 3/3/13 11:07 AM --
-- Edited on 4/29/13 8:48 PM --

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

http://bjsewmuchmore.blogspot.com

MilongueraThreads
star
MilongueraThreads
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/17/07
Send Message

Date: 1/22/13 4:01 PM

I won't be able to participate, but would love to read and follow!
I tried to start (and failed on my execution epically) a Tim Gunn's sew-along a couple years ago.

I love the idea of having a set of patterns and just modifying them to make something new!

Gosh I have so many patterns. :(

I think if I was to have a list of desired TNTs, I think this would be it (or close to it!):

Knits:
1. Basic Knit Top w/variations - I think this ends up being 2-3 patterns for me, one basic t-shirt and one surplice-style
2. Basic Leggings/Yoga Pants - I'm hoping Kwik Sew 3115, haven't made it yet though
3. Wrap Dress - Vogue 8379
4. Knit A-Line Skirt w/variations (for dancing)

Wovens:
1. Button-Down Shirt w/variations (ruffles, sleeves, bow tie)
2. Dress Pants/Trousers - I'm thinking OOP Vogue 2907 - mocked them up but haven't made them.
3. Jeans
4. Sheath Cocktail Dress (I'm thinking Burda 06-2012-129)
5. Lined Pencil Skirt
6. Lined A-Line Skirt
7. Princess Seamed Jacket (1 Chanel-style, 1 Suit-style)
8. Wrap/Maxi/Sundress

I have lots of others also, but mostly things like slips and PJs but also fashion things like boleros or "outfit" kinds of things. One of my "in my head, plotted out" outfits is a pair of harem pants and a close-fitting knit top for dancing. But that isn't exactly a TNT kind of outfit!

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
United Kingdom
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

Date: 1/22/13 5:14 PM

This is a great idea! I am really keen to find TNTs for the types of clothes I wear every day and I'm starting nearly from scratch. I've decided to focus this year on tops and blouses rather than worry about the whole potential wardrobe. I have the most fitting issues with my upper body as I have a very large bust relative to the rest of my body.

Despite focussing just on tops and blouses I ended up with quite a hefty list of patterns to audition for my TNT list. At the beginning of 2014 I'd like to (a) have a wardrobe full of handmade tops and blouses; and (b) have a set of top and blouse TNTs to choose from in the future. I'm also hoping that working so extensively on fitting tops and blouses will allow me to move on to finding some great jacket TNTs later on.

I think part of the process this year is going to be auditioning possible TNT patterns. So my lists seem really long, but I don't plan to end up with so many actual TNTs.

Knits
1. Simple close-fitting kimono-sleeved tee -- Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono Tee. Already pretty much my TNT in this category. I want to tweak the bust fit a bit.
2. Basic t-shirt -- Ottobre 02-2007-01
3. Two or three simple knit top designs that are smart enough for work and could be made as long or short-sleeved. I'm considering some of the following to try out. I probably won't try all of them!
- Knit top with vertical ruching (Burda 10-2012-114)
- Knit top with a gathered neckline (HotPatterns Sunshine)
- Knit top with a surplice bodice (Burda 05-2009-119A)
- Knit faux wrap top (no pattern chosen yet)
- Knit shoulder princess top (Vogue 8323)
- Knit armscye princess top (McCall 5890)
4. A close-fitting knit cardigan. (Ottobre 05-2007-07)
5. A shawl collar knit cardigan (possibly New Look 6922)

Wovens
Just like with knits, this process is about auditioning different patterns to find the pattern (or maybe a frankenpattern) that is a good basic that I can tweaked to perfection. I'll again be working on different bust fit methods. My final TNT list is probably going to include some, definitely not all, of the patterns below:

1. Shell tops -- relaxed and fitted -- Colette Sorbetto, a pattern from Patrones 298 for a little bias pleated top, and Vogue Elements 9654
2. Woven pullover tops -- New Look 6025, vintage pattern New Look 6523, Grainline Scout Woven Tee, Imagewear IW1002
3. Relaxed fit button up blouse -- Simplicity 2246, Silhouette 425
4. Semi-fitted button up blouse -- Ottobre 02-2006-05, Vogue Elements 9614, Simplicity 2225, McCall 5522
5. Waistcoat (vest, I guess Americans would say) -- Simplicity 4079

There are probably a lot of muslins and pattern alterations in my future! I'm hoping though that there's loads of cumulative learning in there too as I'll be able to transfer what I learn about fitting armscye princess, for example, from a shell top to a blouse to a waistcoat pattern that use the same kind of princess seams.
-- Edited on 1/22/13 5:16 PM --

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

EleanorSews
star
EleanorSews  Friend of PR
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 7/26/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 1/22/13 5:17 PM

Much as I would love to join this, I will just be following along until I sort out my calendar and current commitments. There might be an overlap of another sew along.

Best wishes to all. Great idea for a sew along.

------
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal." unknown

LauraTS
star
LauraTS
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 1/22/13 7:03 PM

I love this idea. I probably have decent TNTs for a basic knit top and PJs (top and pants), but that's it. Off the top of my head I'd like to develop:
pencil skirt - darted and princess
non-elastic-waist pants
woven button-up shirt
and a bunch more of TNTs but I should probably start with one and work my way up!

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 1/23/13 4:34 PM

Welcome! So what's everyone working on?

I think my 1st item will be slim fit knit pants. I recently made a pair from this New Look 6110 pattern. The fit was pretty good, so I think with a little tweaking I can make this work.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 1/23/13 5:15 PM

You've covered many of mine, except I don't do pants other than PJ type, too much fitting. Summer is coming--hopefully--it's 3 degrees here!

Which pattern is your Fave for a basic loose scoop-neck T-top with cap sleeves all-in-one? Some of the pattern photos show wide shoulders worn falling-off, which is appropriate for the younger crowd. I'm not good at layering 2-3 of these, so need one that does cover straps but has the slouchy look instead of regular fitted T's.
I like woven fitted button-downs under sweaters for winter, but somehow can't get used to a comfortable shell/cami type in wovens for summer and revert to knits. Any patterns you love for summer coolness? Haven't made the Colette yet but want to try some light voiles, seersucker, etc.

The "Nancy Dress" (used for skirt only) free on Fabric.com is a
very comfortable 3-seam Yoga-style skirt for summer, short or long.

LauraT--

S2255 is a cute button-down, cap sleeve especially. Try it with contrast placket and sleeve.

-- Edited on 1/24/13 7:32 AM --

westmoon
star
westmoon  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
United Kingdom
Member since 9/7/11
Send Message

In reply to BJ1400 <<

Date: 1/23/13 5:59 PM

I'm buried under half-finished projects at the moment, which is unusual for me being more typically a one thing at a time kind of person. Once I've cleared the decks, though, first up in my queue is Vogue 8323, the view A neckline but view C sleeves.

In the background I'm also very slowly working on a fitting shell for a woven. I've hit a snag in that I am not sure what the problem is that I am working on right now even is, let alone how to fix it! It's a useful exercise, though, and I hope the time spent working on it will pay off when I begin to work on some woven tops later in the year.

------
http://sewingnovice.blogspot.co.uk/
One woman. One sewing machine. One giant stack of fabric. What could possibly go wrong?

JuliN
star
JuliN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 10/7/07
Send Message

Date: 1/24/13 6:54 AM

Oh, what a great idea! I would definitely like to sew along. And it will be really nice to see the wonderful creations everyone else come up with.

I've been kicking this idea around for months and recently blogged about what I would like to accomplish in terms of TNTs. I'm trying to get the slopers Claudia Ein recommends in her book, How to Design Your Own Clothes and Make Your Own Patterns:
1. Pants; I'm working on a self-drafted pattern using Kenneth King's Craftsy course Jean-ius. I had a breakthrough with it the other day and am really pleased with the fit after lengthening the back crotch curve.

2. A-line dress; I have a few possible patterns (vintage Simplicitys 5985 or 6725 or Butterick 5260) in the stash but haven't decided which one to use yet.

3. Bodice; I made 3 muslins of V8648 thru Susan Khalje's Craftsy course and got a really good fitting bodice. Now to make a final dress...

4. Skirt; yep, what #3 says. I've got a lengthened straight skirt pattern that accommodates my protruding backside.

5. Button-down shirt; I'm looking at a t-shirt pattern instead because I don't really wear button down shirts. I made a muslin of Jennifer Stern's tee pattern, but don't think that style works for me. There are a few other possibilities in my stash (New Looks 6729 or 6895 or McCalls 4261).

I'm excited about the process!

------
My measurements = 47-35-43. Height = 5ft11in.
RTW size =18 on top, 14/16 on bottom.
Sewing size = 20 and I alter from there.

BJ1400
starstarstar
BJ1400
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 10/29/03
Send Message

In reply to JuliN <<

Date: 1/24/13 9:42 AM

Quote: JuliN
Pants; I'm working on a self-drafted pattern using Kenneth King's Craftsy course Jean-ius. I had a breakthrough with it the other day and am really pleased with the fit after lengthening the back crotch curve.

Skirt; I've got a lengthened straight skirt pattern that accommodates my protruding backside.

I'm excited about the process!

JuliN,
I've been working on pants for FOREVER & have finally made a little progress. Did you like the Kenneth King class? I would love to see your pants.

I have a protruding backside too & what I do for skirts is add a wedge at center back. That gives me the room I need & makes my skirts hang straight. I got that figured out, but unfortunately I don't wear skirts as much as pants.

I'm excited about this too & think it will be a interesting project.

------
Beverly.

Sewing Makes Me Happy

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sew Alongs >> TNT basics pattern sew-along

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

McCall's 3393

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Sewing Workshop Joplin Pullover Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

Christine Jonson Travel Trio Two

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.